Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

Percy Sledge (1940-2015)

Percy Sledge, whose 1966 hit song "When a Man Loves a Woman" became a classic, has died at the age of 74.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/04/14/percy-sledge-appreciation/25767849/

The song, which has been covered by numerous artists, inspired the title of a 1994 film starring Andy Garcia and Meg Ryan. One of the romantic drama's co-authors was Al Franken, currently the junior U.S. senator from Minnesota.

• Like 2

You know, he never got royalties for "When A Man Loves A Woman", which is a shame.  No one else had a wail like he did, and I was definitely saddened by this news.  He always came across as really likable and humble, and was always happy to just be doing his thing in making great music.  I think that he should have gotten more attention than he did, though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/arts/music/percy-sledge-who-sang-when-a-man-loves-a-woman-dies-at-74.html?_r=0

What makes me even sadder is that this thread is not getting more attention.  I posted a thread about Andrae Crouch a couple of months backs, and I think I was the only one who posted on it.  It's still on here somewhere.  Thanks for posting this up here, Jakeem, as always.  

Sad news.  It's hard to see actors we watched and musicians we heard so often on the radio leave this world.  I agree, it's hard to see some receive relatively little attention while others less talented get so much acclaim.

I wore out the grooves of all my Percy Sledge 45's back in the day, but this one was always my favorite:

"THE SOULFUL WEDGE, MR. PERCY SLEDGE"

Very sad, he certainly was a great talent.

Glad it has been reported he was part of the Muscle Shoals scene. I just got back from visiting there and it's truly magical for a music lover.

The popular music of today certainly does not compare nor inspire and I predict, not endure.

Sledge wasn't a one-hit wonder. Here's a song that made it all the way to No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1968.

The other day in another forum, I posted this condolence:

I always liked that NAME.  SLEDGE!  What a great name.  And fitting somehow....

I mean, didn't his soulful voice HIT you like a "sledge"?

One of the greats, for sure!

Sepiatone

Sad to hear this. I never knew he didn't receive royalties for his most famous song. That doesn't seem right at all. The articles about him and tribute was very nice. Yeah, I like his name too.

If When A Man Loves A Woman came out in 1966, I was 14 at the time,  In my opinion, to this day, no one has ever - or will ever - be able to wail like Percy does on this song.  And to think, that back-in-the-day, songs that were less than 3 minutes in duration were capable of having such profound effects on listeners. I'll cherish those days, always.

It is definately a shame that Percy didn't receive the monetary compensation that he so rightly deserved (especially when compared to a lot of recent artists) - but.....if he had any inkling of the prue joy that people heard when he sang that song, then I believe that he had to know that he was rich in a way that others could only dream of (or have any concept of).

Right now, 'hearing' his voice on that song....has my eyes watering.....

R.I.P. Percy Sledge

May your voice be heard forever.....