Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

Hey, talk about a great double feature:  Carrie (1952, with Jennifer Jones and Laurence Olivier), and Carrie (1976, with Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie).  It'd be hard to think of two movies that have less in common, but they're both absolute classics in their respective genres.  I'm not sure that either of these great films have ever been shown on TCM---if they have, I've never seen them there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-sx4j3T3_U

Yes, the Jennifer Jones Carrie has been shown a few times. Not recently. I'm pretty sure the other Carrie has been shown as well, I think during Oscar month a few years back.

Yes, the Jennifer Jones Carrie has been shown a few times. Not recently. I'm pretty sure the other Carrie has been shown as well, I think during Oscar month a few years back.

If either the Jones or Spacek Carrie  has been run on TCM since late 2009, I must have been asleep at the switch.  I would have jumped all over both of them, but I don't have any indication that either of them have been recorded in that time when I've DVD'd well over 3500 feature titles.

If either the Jones or Spacek Carrie  has been run on TCM since late 2009, I must have been asleep at the switch.  I would have jumped all over both of them, but I don't have any indication that either of them have been recorded in that time when I've DVD'd well over 3500 feature titles.

I know the Jones' Carrie hasnt been on in years, but it has been shown a few times.

• Like 1

TCM should feature Ingrid Bergman (29 August 1915 – 29 August 1982) on 29 August, 2015

Just because SUTS is in August that doesn't mean TCM should feature stars that were born or died in August.   For one thing that could lead to the same stars being featured year after year since SUTS is always in August and birthdays never change.    So the criteria for who gets featured in SUTS shouldn't be tied to birthdays.       

Ingrid Bergman would have turned 100 years old on 29 August, 2015 unless TCM would like to wait until 2115 to mark her birthday.

ingridd_zpsxhiflutf.jpg

If either the Jones or Spacek Carrie  has been run on TCM since late 2009, I must have been asleep at the switch. 

There's no TCM article for Brian De Palma's CARRIE (featuring Sissy Spacek in the title role) so I'm pretty sure the movie has never aired on TCM.

If Piper Laurie is honored during Summer Under The Stars, TCM really should show CARRIE.

Ingrid Bergman would have turned 100 years old on 29 August, 2015 unless TCM would like to wait until 2115 to mark her birthday.

Hey, I totally spaced that 2015 was her 100 year old anniversary.   In the case of a 100 year anniversary I can see having those actors born in August featured in SUTS since that would only fill a few days each year and the actor would be repeated again in future years. 

Glad you posted a picture since she is always nice on the eyes.     

There's no TCM article for Brian De Palma's CARRIE (featuring Sissy Spacek in the title role) so I'm pretty sure the movie has never aired on TCM.

If Piper Laurie is honored during Summer Under The Stars, TCM really should show CARRIE.

I'm almost sure I remember RO intro'ing it, but I could be wrong. More likely it's Scott day, but we'll see!

I was thinking about those wonderful sketches TCM had last year with all the SUTS honorees. I believe I copied and pasted them into a thread in the TCM Programs area. 

I wonder if they will do more for this year's group...

I was thinking about those wonderful sketches TCM had last year with all the SUTS honorees. I believe I copied and pasted them into a thread in the TCM Programs area. 

Update: I just found them. Poster Mr6666 put them in this thread (the images are rather large...I remember finding smaller images somewhere which I put on my Facebook page each day):

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48908-2014-schedule/page-2

I'm almost sure I remember RO intro'ing it, but I could be wrong. More likely it's Scott day, but we'll see!

Hibi, HIbi, Hibi, you're the one who suggested the possibility that it might be Piper Laurie, getting up our collective hope. . .

SIGH . . .

"If I concentrate hard enough, I can move things."

Hibi, HIbi, Hibi, you're the one who suggested the possibility that it might be Piper Laurie, getting up our collective hope. . .

SIGH . . .

LOL. OK, then! I'm sure it's going to be Piper!!!!

SIGH . . .

And if you blow hard enough, the Sun will go out.

LOL. OK, then! I'm sure it's going to be Piper!!!!

I would.love to see Piper Laurie on SUTS, but there may be a problem. She was under contract to Universal.during.much of the 1950s, so getting titles from that period might be a problem. I would.love.it if TCM could acquire THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953), also with Tyrone Power and Julie Addams.

ingridd_zpsxhiflutf.jpg

It also will be the 33rd anniversary of Bergman's death from cancer -- one of those sad instances in which a great star died on her birthday.

I would.love to see Piper Laurie on SUTS, but there may be a problem. She was under contract to Universal.during.much of the 1950s, so getting titles from that period might be a problem. I would.love.it if TCM could acquire THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953), also with Tyrone Power and Julie Addams.

Yes, I know. I would love to see that film as well.

It also will be the 33rd anniversary of Bergman's death from cancer -- one of those sad instances in which a great star died on her birthday.

I have a feeling we will get Bergman as Star of the Month in September to honor what would have been her 100th birthday the month before.

I have a feeling we will get Bergman as Star of the Month in September to honor what would have been her 100th birthday the month before.

But will we get another Frank Sinatra retrospective in observance of his 100th birthday in December? 

But will we get another Frank Sinatra retrospective in observance of his 100th birthday in December? 

Wasnt he born in 1917?

Yes. That's a given.

Wasnt he born in 1917?

Everything I've ever seen says he was born December 12, 1915. That doesn't mean he wasn't born in 1917, however.

Everything I've ever seen says he was born December 12, 1915. That doesn't mean he wasn't born in 1917, however.

Years ago his birthdate was listed as 1917. Why I asked. I guess Frank shaved a few years off his age........

Years ago his birthdate was listed as 1917. Why I asked. I guess Frank shaved a few years off his age........

I just saw Alex Gibney's two-part documentary on Sinatra for HBO, and there's a segment in which the Chairman of the Board says he was born on December 12, 1915.