Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

LOL. I was always disappointed that they never gave Angela something to really chew on in an episode. Get very emotional over a close friend getting murdered or something. They never let her get emotionally involved in any case...............

Actually, the pilot episode "the murder of Sherlock Holmes" features a solution where Jessica's love interest ends up being the killer. In the reveal scene she actually gets very emotional. They even brought the character back after he had served time in prison for a later episode, and he ends up being the victim.

There was also a later episode where the Cabot Cove real estate broker played by John Astin who had been a regular on the show is revealed to be the killer.she gets a little emotional on that one.

But other than that, yes you are 100 percent right, I really do wish they had provided the character with a little bit more range outside of the few times where Jessica goes undercover and plays a dithering society matron or her Daffy British cousin or something like that.

• Like 1

Actually, the pilot episode "the murder of Sherlock Holmes" features a solution where Jessica's love interest ends up being the killer. In the reveal scene she actually gets very emotional. They even brought the character back after he had served time in prison for a later episode, and he ends up being the victim.

There was also a later episode where the Cabot Cove real estate broker played by John Astin who had been a regular on the show is revealed to be the killer.she gets a little emotional on that one.

But other than that, yes you are 100 percent right, I really do wish they had provided the character with a little bit more range outside of the few times where Jessica goes undercover and plays a dithering society matron or her Daffy British cousin or something like that.

The episode where the Air Force accuses her late husband of murder when an abandon plane is recovered decades later gave Angela a chance to be fired up.     I just saw this episode this week and I recall thinking to myself;  "wow,  I don't remember ever seeing Jessica being so emotional".   

The episode where the Air Force accuses her late husband of murder when an abandon plane is recovered decades later gave Angela a chance to be fired up. I just saw this episode this week and I recall thinking to myself; "wow, I don't remember ever seeing Jessica being so emotional".

wow, thank you. That was one I don't remember ever seeing either in first run or repeats. Will try to look out for it, do you remember the episode title by any chance?

wow, thank you. That was one I don't remember ever seeing either in first run or repeats. Will try to look out for it, do you remember the episode title by any chance?

It is The Last Flight of Dixie and features Martin Milner,   noir icon Jane Greer (who looked great BTW),  and Michael Ansara.

• Like 1

It is The Last Flight of Dixie and features Martin Milner,   noir icon Jane Greer (who looked great BTW),  and Michael Ansara.

I wish Jane Greer would get a Summer Under The Stars day. 

• Like 1

I wish Jane Greer would get a Summer Under The Stars day.

I wonder if she has ever been chosen. TCM seema to have access to enough of her RKO and MGM titles to be do-able.

• Like 1

I wonder if she has ever been chosen. TCM seema to have access to enough of her RKO and MGM titles to be do-able.

TCM did a tribute to Jane Greer one evening a few years ago. 

I first saw THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS then.

I like that movie a lot, especially Jane Greer's performance.

I'm not sure if she was ever honored during Summer Under The Stars, but she should be. 

• Like 1

TCM has started airing their promo for this year's Summer Under The Stars.

They've also added the following page on their website with details on this year's honorees and the selected movies. 

http://summer.tcm.com/

I miss the cool caricatures they had last year :(

Looks like there's no artwork at all

Too bad....

I seriously think that the TCM programmers take suggestions from these message boards. I'm super excited that Rex Ingram gets a day this year, since I (as well as a few others) have been putting him on our dream SUTS lists since...forever.

And yes, I also miss the caricatures from last year, as well as the silhouettes from 2013. Those were the best.

• Like 2

Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Hush hush, sweet Charlotte

Charlotte, don't you cry

He'll love you till he dies

Oh, hold him darling

Please hold him tight

And brush the tear from your eye

You weep because you had a dream last night

You dreamed that he said goodbye

He held two roses within his hand

Two roses he gave to you

The red rose tells you of his passion

The white rose his love so true

Charlotte, don't you cry

He'll love you till he dies

Is everyone ready for HUSH . . . HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE on August 2? 

• Like 1

Yeah, the Sherlock Holmes one was the first episode. Jessica might get emotional occasionally, but it was usually a line or two and she moved on. Nothing really to chew on...........

Yes, I remember that one. I think Efrem Zimbalist was in it? She did have a few good scenes in that one.......

TCM did a tribute to Jane Greer one evening a few years ago. 

I first saw THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS then.

I like that movie a lot, especially Jane Greer's performance.

I'm not sure if she was ever honored during Summer Under The Stars, but she should be. 

Yes, I think around a year ago. I watched several films of hers I'd never seen including that film. Not sure if she's had a SUTS, but definitely a good candidate for one. I'm afraid they dont consider her a big enough star to merit a SOTM.........

I am!! Havent seen it in a long time. Lots of great scenery chewing!

• Like 1

37a14100901ae5d6aa0dc09a02f569e1.jpg

Bette Davis and Agnes Moorehead in HUSH . . . HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.

95c5443ddcd59cb7061522cd91f9e8af.jpg

Olivia De Havilland and Agnes Moorehead in HUSH . . . HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE

• Like 1

Gene Tierney, the first August SUTS, stars in the film noir WHIRLPOOL 1949. Gene falls under the spell of con man hypnotist Jose Ferrer,while she is married to a psychiatrist Richard Conte. Directed by Otto Preminger, WHIRLPOOL is very good. I also like BLACK WIDOW the film preceeding the noir.

• Like 1

Gene Tierney, the first August SUTS, stars in the film noir WHIRLPOOL 1949. Gene falls under the spell of con man hypnotist Jose Ferrer,while she is married to a psychiatrist Richard Conte. Directed by Otto Preminger, WHIRLPOOL is very good. I also like BLACK WIDOW the film preceeding the noir.

I've seen Whirlpool many times on the Fox Movie Channel, and after Laura it's my favorite Gene Tierney film.  It starts out a bit like Remember the Night, but after that it goes all-out noir instead of becoming a romantic comedy. 

Double irony:  Usually I can't stand Jose Ferrer and I love Richard Conte, but here Ferrer uses his generally smarmy persona to play the arch-villain hypnotist to perfection, while Conte plays the part of a bland and not all that sympathetic good guy husband.  It's a bit like the disconnect I had when I saw Warren William play the loving cuckold in Three on a Match, instead of being the wolf who twirls his mustache as he mentally undresses every blonde in his field of vision.

Another nice feature that dates Whirlpool quite nicely is the role played by a vintage vinyl recording that contains incriminating evidence, an artifact that also plays a major role in the plots of  Nightmare Alley and Sudden Fear.  It reminds us of how many great movies were predicated on the existence of long-outdated technology, and how different it is today to create similar plot tension in an age of instant communication and permanent records.

• Like 2

"The Egyptian" (1954)--Whatever reason you watch it for--see it.  Has Oscar nominated cinematography, marvelous soundtrack, an acidically funny performance by Gene Tierney & performances just as good by Peter Ustinov & Jean Simmons. :)

Great photos.  My favorite scene of the film when Olivia hits Agnes over the head with a chair and she falls down the stairs.  While Olivia was a very bad gal in this film,  Agnes was so annoying I clapped when Olivia hit her.

• Like 1

37a14100901ae5d6aa0dc09a02f569e1.jpg

95c5443ddcd59cb7061522cd91f9e8af.jpg

BUMMER. Just discovered they are showing this at MIDNIGHT. It figures. :(  I'll have to record it and watch another time........

Not having TCM these last 2 months and possibility at least another month, UGH- thankfully a few films have appeared on other movie stations. Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte has been shown all month on another network and I watched it twice.I've seen it before over the years but it's such a hoot of a film it's worth watching more than once. Hope everyone gets to see it and enjoy, Bette, Agnes, Olivia, Joseph Cotten, Cecil Kellaway, Victor Buono and Mary Astor and it's the first film Bruce Dern was in  :)

• Like 1

What movie is the clip at 1:04 on the video from?

The clip shows Debiie Reynolds lauging. She's  wearing a blue dress and her hair is pulled back with a head band and is flipped up on the ends.

I could be wrong, but I think the film is Divorce, American Style because the man in the foreground looks like Dick Van Dyke.