Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

I wonder if Summer Under The Stars will be cancelled this year? 

I sincerely doubt it. Like 31 Days of Oscar, it is a special month-long programming event that TCM is known for doing each year. 

I think this may be a record wait.

We're all rootin' for you Holden!

• Like 1

I'll put in my 2¢ worth:  I like the 'Summer Under The Stars' programming in August better than I like the '31 Days Of Oscar' programming in February/early March. 

I like the idea of having 1 star per day to have their movies featured for 31 days.

• Like 1

I'll put in my 2¢ worth:  I like the 'Summer Under The Stars' programming in August better than I like the '31 Days Of Oscar' programming in February/early March. 

I like the idea of having 1 star per day to have their movies featured for 31 days.

Generally I do enjoy Summer Under The Stars more than 31 Days Of Oscar.  

Generally I do enjoy Summer Under The Stars more than 31 Days Of Oscar.  

So do I.  Because on the days that feature people I like, then it's an exciting day on TCM and usually there are quite a few films featured that I haven't seen.

If only I could take the entire month off from work.  Lol.

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

If someone is expecting all Paramount, Universal, Fox and Republic films-- then, yes, I suppose they might be disappointed. But if someone is expecting TCM to do its customary good job of providing a balanced schedule with films and styles from all studios (as well as international releases), then there will not be a problem.

I would like to see TCM work out the rights issues with films like CEILING ZERO, WHITE BANNERS and FROM THIS DAY FORWARD. I know FROM THIS DAY FORWARD is available on youtube, but that is not the place where I want to see it. 

I also like a month that features many TCM premieres. 

If someone is expecting all Paramount, Universal, Fox and Republic films-- then, yes, I suppose they might be disappointed. But if someone is expecting TCM to do its customary good job of providing a balanced schedule with films and styles from all studios (as well as international releases), then there will not be a problem.

As a viewer since 1996 (with a 3-4 year break), I've earned the right to be cynical. As Yogi Berra once said, "It's deja vu all over again."

As a viewer since 1996 (with a 3-4 year break), I've earned the right to be cynical. As Yogi Berra once said, "It's deja vu all over again."

You make it sound like TCM has slighted you in the worst possible way. It's just a cable movie station. Personally, I would choose not to be cynical.

I would like to see TCM work out the rights issues with films like CEILING ZERO, WHITE BANNERS and FROM THIS DAY FORWARD. I know FROM THIS DAY FORWARD is available on youtube, but that is not the place where I want to see it. 

I'd like to see WHITE BANNERS, too. None of these are on home video yet, are they?

So would I, but here's a prediction:  Barring any wholesale arrangements that give us more Universal, Fox, Paramount, and/or Republic films, every year will find us all with fewer and fewer personal "premieres". 

The first year I watched SUTS (2010), I recorded 78 feature films and 20 shorts, almost none of which I'd seen before.  Last year it was down to 42 features, of which only about 8 or 10 were movies I hadn't yet seen on TV.  And out of those 8 or 10, only Jeanne Moreau's Bay of Angels and The Lovers were anything I'd choose to plan my day around.  The point isn't that TCM didn't have a lot of great movies last August; it's simply that you can only see a movie once for the first time.  The same thing holds for Oscar month:  Lots of great films, but after a while they seem like old hat.

So would I, but here's a prediction:  Barring any wholesale arrangements that give us more Universal, Fox, Paramount, and/or Republic films, every year will find us all with fewer and fewer personal "premieres". 

I think there are always going to be personal premieres (great phrase by the way). Not everyone can watch TCM 24-7, or capture everything on DVR. So even if something is re-airing for the fifth time, it may still be the first time someone has had a chance to see it.

Also, I would say the poster who has watched TCM since 1990-whenever has only been looking at films from his favorite studio and probably missing 75% of what TCM has actually broadcast in the past two decades. So I would bet that individual has many personal premieres awaiting him on the cable TV horizon.

White Banners (1938) is high up on my wish list.  As well as the great Claude Rains, it features Fay Bainter's lead actress Oscar nominated role.  Sad that this film has all but disappeared. 

I think there are always going to be personal premieres (great phrase by the way). Not everyone can watch TCM 24-7, or capture everything on DVR. So even if something is re-airing for the fifth time, it may still be the first time someone has had a chance to see it.

Also, I would say the poster who has watched TCM since 1990-whenever has only been looking at films from his favorite studio and probably missing 75% of what TCM has actually broadcast in the past two decades. So I would bet that individual has many personal premieres awaiting him on the cable TV horizon.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Glad to be wrong on this issue. Though I always see you posting about Universal, so I wasn't sure if you were watching and enjoying any other studio films that TCM broadcasts...

Glad to be wrong on this issue. Though I always see you posting about Universal, so I wasn't sure if you were watching and enjoying any other studio films that TCM broadcasts...

I have hundreds of WB/FN, RKO and MGM titles in my collection.

I have hundreds of WB/FN, RKO and MGM titles in my collection.

So are you saying that you use TCM to only gain new titles-- never mind the fact that other people still have not seen something already in your collection? Am I interpreting what you are saying correctly?

I'd like to see WHITE BANNERS, too. None of these are on home video yet, are they?

CEILING ZERO was on VHS ages ago.  WHITE BANNERS and FROM THIS DAY FORWARD never on VHS or DVD.

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD played a number of times on the old AMC. Remember Bob Dorian ?

So are you saying that you use TCM to only gain new titles-- never mind the fact that other people still have not seen something already in your collection? Am I interpreting what you are saying correctly?

You have over 16,000 posts. Do you have a life outside of this forum? Am I interpreting that correctly?

You have over 16,000 posts. Do you have a life outside of this forum? Am I interpreting that correctly?

I think you may be slamming the guys who have more posts than I do. I am only number 7 on the list of Overall Top Posters. 

As for Universal titles airing on TCM, I am right there with you on that-- I would love to see more of them. But I also see the value in rebroadcasting titles in the TCM Library.

CEILING ZERO was on VHS ages ago.  WHITE BANNERS and FROM THIS DAY FORWARD never on VHS or DVD.

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD played a number of times on the old AMC. Remember Bob Dorian ?

Thanks for the reply cody.

So if something did reach the VHS market way back when, we can assume there wasn't always a rights issue. We can probably also assume copies of that old videotape fetch a pretty penny among collectors.