Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

White Banners (1938) is high up on my wish list.  As well as the great Claude Rains, it features Fay Bainter's lead actress Oscar nominated role.  Sad that this film has all but disappeared. 

I would love to see Claude Rains get a Summer Under The Stars Day this year. 

Since we know the Essentials selections for August, we can start speculating who will be the Summer Under The Stars honorees for the those 5 days.

I suppose August 8 will be Julie Harris because who else in EAST OF EDEN has enough movies to fill 24 hours (well, I guess it could be Raymond Massey or Burl Ives).

I would think August 29 would be Paul Newman, but didn't he have a day last year?

screen-shot-2015-02-15-at-12-13-41-pm.pn

Except for the possible speculative factors involved, exactly why is it so darn important to know what is going to be broadcast on TCM this far out? I know it is SUTS month, but really?

• Like 1

This is a fun little challenge - a pleasant minor puzzle:

If the Summer Under the Stars has the Essentials block continuing with them then, maybe..

- Ghost and Mrs. Muir: the star of the day could be any of these:

Gene Tierney

Rex Harrison

Natalie Wood

George Sanders

Anna Lee

- East of Eden:

either Julie Harris, Burl Ives, or Raymond Massey

- Prisoner of Zenda (1937)

either Ronald Colman, Raymond Massey, Mary Astor, or David Niven

- Witness for the Prosecution

Tyrone Power

Charles Laughton

Marlene Dietrich

Elsa Lanchester

Henry Daniell

- The Hustler

either Paul Newman or Murray Hamilton

This is a fun little challenge - a pleasant minor puzzle:

If the Summer Under the Stars has the Essentials block continuing with them then, maybe..

- The Hustler

either Paul Newman or Murray Hamilton

I'd think it's be more likely to be either Jackie Gleason, George C.Scott, or Piper Laurie, especially the last two.  Newman had a day only 5 years ago, and neither Gleason, Scott or Laurie have ever had a day.

And Murray Hamilton?  I doubt it, unless you were filling a month with nothing but character actors.

• Like 1

Sure would like to see Donald Sutherland get a day.

I just saw ORDINARY PEOPLE recently.

The whole cast is great but Donald Sutherland really moved me.

Sure would like to see Donald Sutherland get a day.

I know, I've said that before.

Donald Sutherland is top-notch and a total pro.  He has a ton of films to pick from.  Never stops working - which is great for us!

His Six Degrees of Separation was just great.  And I think he played one of the best doctors in film in the Canadian film, Threshold.

I think I've worked on about 5 of his films.  And used to know Kiefer before he became a star.  

Donald Sutherland is top-notch and a total pro.  He has a ton of films to pick from.  Never stops working - which is great for us!

His Six Degrees of Separation was just great.  And I think he played one of the best doctors in film in the Canadian film, Threshold.

I think I've worked on about 5 of his films.  And used to know Kiefer before he became a star.  

You've also mentioned working with Jane Fonda...

May I ask what your job has been on all these film sets? My nosiness wants to know.

You've also mentioned working with Jane Fonda...

May I ask what your job has been on all these film sets? My nosiness wants to know.

I've specialized in dialogue editing, picture editing and more specifically ADR editing which is working with the actors in the post-sync studio.  Helping them achieve the performance they and the director want and often coaching them how to get things in sync.

The good ones can coach you!  Donald Sutherland is perhaps the best at it that I have worked with.

I've had a few other jobs too.  Some writing and directing.  I shouldn't say more though as some could point to my resume and say "look at that piece of dung - no wonder he doesn't know anything!"

• Like 2

I've specialized in dialogue editing, picture editing and more specifically ADR editing which is working with the actors in the post-sync studio.  Helping them achieve the performance they and the director want and often coaching them how to get things in sync.

The good ones can coach you!  Donald Sutherland is perhaps the best I have worked with.

I've had a few other jobs too.  Some writing and directing.  I shouldn't say more though as some could point to my resume and say "look at that piece of dung - no wonder he doesn't know anything!"

Cool! Sounds like a fun job.

Donald.Sutherland,.Stockard.Channing, even Will Smith are all excellent.in SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION. What a marvelous, serendipadous story.

Still nothing.

Yes, I noticed that. The schedules have been released later since Jennifer Dorian took over as General Manager.

As TCM has unveiled the line-up for its upcoming Sunday night Movie Camp series -- including the films for August -- I doubt it will be a very long wait now.

• Like 1

As TCM has unveiled the line-up for its upcoming Sunday night Movie Camp series -- including the films for August -- I doubt it will be a very long wait now.

I am hoping August 9th is a tribute for Ruth Roman, since STRANGERS ON A TRAIN is scheduled that evening for Movie Camp. (Though it may be Robert Walker.)

I am hoping August 9th is a tribute for Ruth Roman, since STRANGERS ON A TRAIN is scheduled that evening for Movie Camp. (Though it may be Robert Walker.)

Why wouldn't it be Farley Granger?

Why wouldn't it be Farley Granger?

Because he was under contract with Goldwyn. Both Walker (MGM) and Roman (Warners) have loads of films in the TCM Library, that are available for purchase through the Warner Archives and at Shop TCM.

Yesterday at 4:01 p.m., the highest number of online users ever on the TCM message boards at one time occurred.

We had 506 members online. And it was not a holiday (the holiday was the day before).

This tells me people are coming by to check and see if the SUTS schedule is up.

I just saw ORDINARY PEOPLE recently.

The whole cast is great but Donald Sutherland really moved me.

He IS outstanding in Ordinary People.  He holds the whole film together.   I have seen this film numerous times and everyone is so good in it and yet it is Sutherland's performance as the dad that stays with you.    He never ceases to touch me deeply with his portrayal of a father torn between his emotionally tortured son and his emotionally bereft wife.   The scene at the end when he tells his wife he doesn't think he loves her anymore ... just ... wow, so perfect. 

• Like 1