Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

Well, maybe it will be posted by June 1st...guess we have to be patient a bit longer.

At this point I would expect the schedule to be posted no sooner than June 1. I'm somewhat surprised it's taken so long, actually. Like the 31 Days of Oscar series, I would expect that the programmers have had the August schedule pretty much carved in stone for a while. In fact, I don't believe it's ever taken so long for a schedule to be available in the six years I've been frequenting this website.

At this point I would expect the schedule to be posted no sooner than June 1. I'm somewhat surprised it's taken so long, actually. Like the 31 Days of Oscar series, I would expect that the programmers have had the August schedule pretty much carved in stone for a while. In fact, I don't believe it's ever taken so long for a schedule to be available in the six years I've been frequenting this website.

I think things are changing a bit since Jennifer Dorian took over. Maybe they don't want to spoil things too far in advance. Or maybe they are coming up with new advertising campaigns to promote these scheduling blocks. I am sure they have a reason.

They must have problems finalizing some film slots. I'm not really impatient waiting to hear about it. It'll happen eventually......

They must have problems finalizing some film slots. I'm not really impatient waiting to hear about it. It'll happen eventually......

You don't understand. We need to have the schedule NOW,  RIGHT THIS MINUTE. How else can we plan our lives??

You don't understand. We need to have the schedule NOW,  RIGHT THIS MINUTE. How else can we plan our lives??

The Canadian schedule for August won't come out for another month or so and then we can see all the 'new' films that won't be showing north of the 49th.

I hope you appreciate just how much we are subsidizing you Yanks with our good cable dollars.

Exactly. And at some point, August 1 is going to roll around and if you turn on TCM, you will see they still have classic movies playing.

LOL. There must be something wrong with me....................

2015 HONOREES

AUGUST 1: GENE TIERNEY (previous SUTS)

AUGUST 2: OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 3: ADOLPHE MENJOU (new)

AUGUST 4: TERESA WRIGHT (new)

AUGUST 5: FRED ASTAIRE (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 6: MICHAEL CAINE (previous SUTS)

AUGUST 7: KATHARINE HEPBURN (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 8: RAYMOND MASSEY (new)

AUGUST 9: ROBERT WALKER (new)

AUGUST 10: JOAN CRAWFORD (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 11: REX INGRAM (new)

AUGUST 12: ROBERT MITCHUM (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 13: ANN-MARGRET (new)

AUGUST 14: GROUCHO MARX (previous SUTS)

AUGUST 15: DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS JR (new)

AUGUST 16: PATRICIA NEAL (new)

AUGUST 17: LEE J. COBB (new)

AUGUST 18: VIVIEN LEIGH (previous SOTM)

AUGUST 19: JOHN WAYNE (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 20: MAE CLARKE (new)

AUGUST 21: ALAN ARKIN (new)

AUGUST 22: MARLENE DIETRICH (previous SUTS)

AUGUST 23: DEBBIE REYNOLDS (previous SOTM)

AUGUST 24: WARREN OATES (new)

AUGUST 25: VIRGINIA BRUCE (new)

AUGUST 26: GRETA GARBO (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 27: MONTY WOOLLEY (new)

AUGUST 28: INGRID BERGMAN (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 29: GEORGE C. SCOTT (new)

AUGUST 30: GARY COOPER (previous SOTM & SUTS)

AUGUST 31: SHELLEY WINTERS (previous SUTS)

There are 15 new honorees.

There are a handful of usual suspects (Hepburn, Crawford, Bergman, Cooper, Wayne, Astaire).

They are still allotting a few days for Fox stars (Tierney & Woolley). 

There are some character actors on hand (Menjou, Massey, Cobb).

There's one silent film star (Garbo). Menjou started in silent films but is remembered more for sound films.

There is one African American (Rex Ingram).

Precode stars are present (Crawford, Clarke Garbo, Fairbanks, Dietrich).

Stars from the 60s & 70s are present (Arkin, Margret, Caine, Oates).

There are 15 women and 16 men in this group.

Not bad! There are six people who were born in August (Mitchum, Bergman, Winters, Clarke, Wooley and Massey) and four who died during that month (Bergman, Groucho, Neal and Walker). Plus De Havilland gets a tribute a month after her 99th birthday on July 1st.

Hmph! There's no token foreign film star this time around. How disappointing, normally that's the main saving grace of the month. Maybe they'll stick a couple foreign films in edgeways on Bergman and Dietrich day (which would still be bunk, but it probably won't happen, anyway.) The silent film potential is no good, either.

I guess I hold the most hope for George C. Scott day, on the off-chance that TCM might show They Might Be Giants, which I want to see. That's all I can think of, off hand.

It's not all bad, just not very interesting to me.

• Like 1

Hmph! There's no token foreign film star this time around. How disappointing, normally that's the main saving grace of the month. Maybe they'll stick a couple foreign films in edgeways on Bergman and Dietrich day (which would still be bunk, but it probably won't happen, anyway.) The silent film potential is no good, either.

Yes, they are re-airing THE BLUE ANGEL on Dietrich's day. And they are showing several of the Italian films Ingrid made in the 50s, a well as her later AUTUMN SONATA.

I agree that having Garbo cover the silent film bases is not the best choice, when there are so many more obscure silent films that people are wanting to see. They can show Garbo any time all year round.

Rex Ingram was one of the few actors who played both God and the Devil in films, so it's nice that Turner Classic Movies is showing "The Green Pastures" (1936) and "Cabin in the Sky" (1943) back to back on August 11th.

But how could they show only two of the three Harry Palmer movies on Sir Michael Caine's day (August 6th) and telecast them out of order? "Billion Dollar Brain" (1967), the third film in the trilogy, airs at 9:45 a.m. Meanwhile, the first film in the series -- "The Ipcress File" (1965) -- will begin 12 hours later, at 10 p.m. The second film, "Funeral in Berlin" (1966), isn't being shown at all.

The 2015 Summer Under The Stars schedule is now available online:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-01

1. Gene Tierney

2. Olivia de Havilland

3. Adolphe Menjou

4.Teresa Wright

5. Fred Astaire

6. Michael Caine

7. Katharine Hepburn

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-08

8. Raymond Massey

9. Robert Walker

10. Joan Crawford

11. Rex Ingram

12. Robert Mitchum 

13. Ann-Margaret

14. Groucho Marx

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-15

15. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr

16. Patricia Neal

17. Lee J. Cobb

18. Vivien Leigh

19. John Wayne

20. Mae Clarke

21. Alan Arkin

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-22

22. Marlene Dietrich

23. Debbie Reynolds

24. Warren Oates

25. Virginia Bruce 

26. Greta Garbo

27. Monty Woolley

28. Ingrid Bergman

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-29

29. George C. Scott

30. Gary Cooper

31. Shelley Winters

• Like 1

But how could they show only two of the three Harry Palmer movies on Sir Michael Caine's day (August 6th) and telecast them out of order? "Billion Dollar Brain" (1967), the third film in the trilogy, airs at 9:45 a.m. Meanwhile, the first film in the series -- "The Ipcress File" (1965) -- will begin 12 hours later, at 10 p.m. The second film, "Funeral in Berlin" (1966), isn't being shown at all.

Yeah, he's not the only one. I'm not too crazy about the order of films on some other stars' days.

A lot of it seems like they were jamming whatever titles they had into empty spaces without making it as cohesive as they could have.

The 2015 Summer Under The Stars schedule is now available online:

1. Gene Tierney

2. Ovia de Havilland

3. Adolphe Menjou

4.Teresa Wright

5. Fred Astaire

6. Michael Caine

7.Katharine Hepburn

8. Raymond Massey

9. Robert Walker

10. Joan Crawford

11. Rex Ingram

12. Robert Mitchum 

13. Ann-Margaret

14. Groucho Marx

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-15

15. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr

16. Patricia Neal

17. Lee J, Cobb

18. Vivien Leigh

19.John Wayne

20. Mae Clark

21. Alan Arkin

Nice line-up, for the most part, Except for Katharine Hepburn, but you can't have everything.

I see they're featuring two of my favourite Roberts: Walker and Mitchum. Especially Mitch, the essence of cool.

Yes, where is the link to the schedule. Topbilled or anyone please help.

You can get the succeeding weeks by just clicking on Holden's link and then changing the "01" in the URL to "08", "15", "22" and "29". 

What a sorry selection. Not one foreign actor whose career wasn't primarily in Hollywood, unlike in recent years when we got Gabin, Deneuve, Mifune and Moreau.  It's nice to see Lee J. Cobb and George C. Scott, but as a whole it's as if no imagination at all went into it.   Just way too many of the same stale retreads like Cooper and Wayne and Hepburn.  Thank God for baseball.

• Like 1