Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under The Stars 2015 **** SCHEDULE NOW AVAILABLE ****

What a sorry selection. Not one foreign actor whose career wasn't primarily in Hollywood, unlike in recent years when we got Gabin, Deneuve, Mifune and Moreau.  It's nice to see Lee J. Cobb and George C. Scott, but as a whole it's as if no imagination at all went into it.   Just way too many of the same stale retreads like Cooper and Wayne and Hepburn.  Thank God for baseball.

Right--we're either spoiled or else we can see clearly that this was not the best SUTS schedule.

One thing that tips off its cheapness is that on Monty Woolley's day, you would expect to find a batch of Fox films he made, and they only have two, slated for primetime. The whole morning consists of films in the Turner Library where he has bit parts before he became famous as Sheridan Whiteside in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. So basically you can write the whole daytime portion of Woolley's day off as junk.

I think they could have done better with the Virginia Bruce day too. 

Well it's not completely without merit.  Now I get to see The Great Garrick and The Ipcress File.  And the day for Bergman does include all four Rossellini movies, a Renoir and an Ingmar Bergman.

Nice line-up, for the most part, Except for Katharine Hepburn

Should Katharine Hepburn and John Wayne should be banned from Summer Under the Stars?

Kate's been a SUTS honoree 8 times and Duke's been featured 7 times. 

Since 2003.

I didn't see your earlier comment, cody. I was not ignoring you! Glad you figured it out!

No problem,TopBilled !   Nothing really earth shaking on the schedule. One excellent premiere however for those who didn't see it on the Fox Movie Channel. Don't miss THIEVES' HIGHWAY with Richard Conte and Lee J. Cobb.  RATON PASS with Patricia Neal is a premiere,but it is not worthy of her. I bought this "stinker" about a year ago at the Warner Archive.

Re: Ingrid Bergman day - Is there a close-captioned version of Journey to Italy that TCM can show? I know that it has been shown on TCM at least twice in a dubbed version but I'd rather see arms on the Venus de Milo than watch George Sanders with a dubbed voice. Dubbing George Sanders voice should be illegal.

If there is a CC version please try to show it.

Elizabeth

No problem,TopBilled !   Nothing really earth shaking on the schedule. One excellent premiere however for those who didn't see it on the Fox Movie Channel. Don't miss THIEVES' HIGHWAY with Richard Conte and Lee J. Cobb.  RATON PASS with Patricia Neal is a premiere,but it is not worthy of her. I bought this "stinker" about a year ago at the Warner Archive.

I was wondering if RATON PASS was a premiere or not. Dennis Morgan is billed over Neal...this was the point in the early 50s where Warners was trying to transition him from musical comedy star to western star (it failed).

THIEVES' HIGHWAY is a keeper. We discussed it recently in another thread when TCM aired THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT. 

The 2015 Summer Under The Stars schedule is now available online:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-01

1. Gene Tierney

2. Olivia de Havilland

3. Adolphe Menjou

4.Teresa Wright

5. Fred Astaire

6. Michael Caine

7.Katharine Hepburn

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-08

8. Raymond Massey

9. Robert Walker

10. Joan Crawford

11. Rex Ingram

12. Robert Mitchum 

13. Ann-Margaret

14. Groucho Marx

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-15

15. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr

16. Patricia Neal

17. Lee J. Cobb

18. Vivien Leigh

19.John Wayne

20. Mae Clarke

21. Alan Arkin

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-22

22. Marlene Dietrich

23. Debbie Reynolds

24. Warren Oates

25. Virginia Bruce 

26. Greta Garbo

27. Monty Woolley

28. Ingrid Bergman

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2015-08-29

29. George C. Scott

30. Gary Cooper

31. Shelley Winters

Oh, man! Michael Caine in the first week.

Ipcress File, Get Carter, Wilby Conspiracy.....

My collection needs these beauties.

Holden,

Thanks so much for posting the schedule :-)

While there's no Errol (it's okay, I can "make" my own on one of the days I'm not interested in), there's plenty that I'm interested in:

Gene Tierney, Olivia de Havilland, Teresa Wright, Michael Caine, Fred Astaire, Katharine Hepburn, Ann Margret, Groucho Marx, Joan Crawford, Robert Mitchum, Vivien Leigh, Debbie Reynolds, Ingrid Bergman!

While I'm not the biggest Marlene Dietrich fan, her later movies (Touch of Evil and Witness For Prosecution) intrigue me, so I may need to check her out.

Excited for August!

Oh, man! Michael Caine in the first week.

Ipcress File, Get Carter, Wilby Conspiracy.....

My collection needs these beauties.

Yes, I was excited to see Michael Caine was given a day. 

I was hoping ALFIE would air, but, yes, there are still a lot of great Michael Caine movies being shown on his day. 

Holden,

Thanks so much for posting the schedule :-)

While there's no Errol (it's okay, I can "make" my own on one of the days I'm not interested in), there's plenty that I'm interested in:

Gene Tierney, Olivia de Havilland, Teresa Wright, Michael Caine, Fred Astaire, Katharine Hepburn, Ann Margret, Groucho Marx, Joan Crawford, Robert Mitchum, Vivien Leigh, Debbie Reynolds, Ingrid Bergman!

While I'm not the biggest Marlene Dietrich fan, her later movies (Touch of Evil and Witness For Prosecution) intrigue me, so I may need to check her out.

Excited for August!

The Olivia de Havilland movie I'm most excited about is HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.

I love Agnes Moorehead in that movie  

• Like 2

I was wondering if RATON PASS was a premiere or not. Dennis Morgan is billed over Neal...this was the point in the early 50s where Warners was trying to transition him from musical comedy star to western star (it failed).

The film wasn't good for Dennis Morgan or Patricia Neal.  You are correct with what WB was trying to do with Dennis Morgan. With Patricia Neal, WB was probably just finishing off her contract. When she was interviewed by Robert Osborne, they didn't even mention RATON PASS.

The Olivia de Havilland movie I'm most excited about is HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.

I love Agnes Moorehead in that movie

That's a great movie.  There are a lot of de Havilland movies I haven't seen-- I have seen all of her films with Errol though ;) Which I see that three of the Flynn/de Havilland movies are scheduled.  Those movies don't really matter to me, because I have all of them.  I'm surprised they would have scheduled The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex as a de Havilland film-- it is most definitely an Errol Flynn and Bette Davis film.  De Havilland doesn't even have a large part in it. 

I think it's a great schedule and per usual, I see a billion things to record.  On the days that seem like duds to me, I could use my own movies and make my own SUTS day (or evening, since I don't have time to watch all 24 hours of the offerings for whatever person). 

I better clean up my DVR to make room for all the SUTS films.  Too bad I'll probably have a billion film noirs on there due to "Summer of Darkness." 

Oh first world problems...

Nice line-up, for the most part, Except for Katharine Hepburn, but you can't have everything.

I see they're featuring two of my favourite Roberts: Walker and Mitchum. Especially Mitch, the essence of cool.

TCM can never show enough Robert Mitchum!  (By the way, my car is named Mitch.) Robert Walker ain't bad, either.

No problem,TopBilled !   Nothing really earth shaking on the schedule. One excellent premiere however for those who didn't see it on the Fox Movie Channel. Don't miss THIEVES' HIGHWAY with Richard Conte and Lee J. Cobb.

I'd only looked at the actors' lineup before, and not the films, so I hadn't noticed that Thieves' Highway---FINALLY! AND ABOUT TIME!!!---made it onto TCM.  This 10 on a 10 scale classic used to play regularly on the Fox Movie Channel, but the last time it was there was in May of 2010.  I only hope that like Laura and All About Eve, it becomes more than a one time shot here on Turner.  I'd only add that in addition to Conte and Cobb, Valentina Cortese and Millard Mitchell give terrific performances.  Definitely a must-see movie.

poster2%20Jules%20Dassin%20Thieves%27%20

THRILLED to see Monty Wooley on the list.

Are they showing THE PIED PIPER?

Apparently not. The schedule for August 27th features: "Live, Love And Learn" (1937), "Everybody Sing" (1938), "Three Comrades" (1938), "Lord Jeff" (1938), "Young Dr. Kildare" (1938), "Dancing Co-Ed" (1939), "Night and Day" (1946), "Kismet" (1955), "Holy Matrimony" (1943), "Molly and Me" (1945), "The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1941), "The Bishop's Wife" (1947) and "The Girl of the Golden West" (1938).

Nice line-up, for the most part, Except for Katharine Hepburn, but you can't have everything.

I see they're featuring two of my favourite Roberts: Walker and Mitchum. Especially Mitch, the essence of cool.

Yes, Katharine Hepburn has had too many SUTS..........

One of these days I hope they'll honor Debbie Reynolds by showing GOODBYE CHARLIE, which I consider one of her best performances

TCM does show the film occasionally...........