Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BRAVE BULLS

cody1949

Looking forward to this premiere showing of THE BRAVE BULLS  on TCM, or any cable channel for that matter, tomorrow. For me on the west coast, Saturday, 7:30 PM.

I am looking forward to this one. Mel Ferrer made a real splash at the beginning of his film career. Marrying Audrey sort of put him into her shadows-- but he did some interesting work on screen. He deserves more credit than he's typically given.

I am looking forward to this one. Mel Ferrer made a real splash at the beginning of his film career. Marrying Audrey sort of put him into her shadows-- but he did some interesting work on screen. He deserves more credit than he's typically given.

Yes indeed !  LOST BOUNDARIES was a very courageous effort for its time,1949.

Amazing that only TopBilled and myself have anything to say about this film. I guess it bombed at the box office in 1951 and 64 years later it does the same on TCM. I saw the film last night and it deserved a much better fate.

• Like 1

Amazing that only TopBilled and myself have anything to say about this film. I guess it bombed at the box office in 1951 and 64 years later it does the same on TCM. I saw the film last night and it deserved a much better fate.

I watched it last night. I was a little disappointed that Osborne didn't even mention Mel Ferrer at all in the opening and closing segments-- the entire focus was on Rossen and on Anthony Quinn (who is getting plenty of discussion on four other nights this month).

I felt like the film falls or soars based on Ferrer's performance, and he's actually quite good. I almost wish it had a better budget, because I think it would have been a bit more impressive in Technicolor.

Around the same time, Budd Boetticher did his own matador story for Republic with Robert Stack-- BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY. It would have been nice if Osborne had even mentioned that but he did not. 

Whoever's writing the wraparounds needs to do a better job, in my opinion.

I watched it last night. I was a little disappointed that Osborne didn't even mention Mel Ferrer at all in the opening and closing segments-- the entire focus was on Rossen and on Anthony Quinn (who is getting plenty of discussion on four other nights this month).

I felt like the film falls or soars based on Ferrer's performance, and he's actually quite good. I almost wish it had a better budget, because I think it would have been a bit more impressive in Technicolor.

Around the same time, Budd Boetticher did his own matador story for Republic with Robert Stack-- BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY. It would have been nice if Osborne had even mentioned that but he did not. 

Whoever's writing the wraparounds needs to do a better job, in my opinion.

I definitely agree with you about a better budget and Technicolor. Most films that take place in Mexico  should be done in Technicolor with the exceptions being LOS OLVIDADOS and TOUCH OF EVIL. I do think that Mel Ferrer was perfect for the role. Anyway, I am certainly glad I finally got to see it.  Thank you,Sony and TCM. Now, if you could only do THIS THING CALLED LOVE and DEATH OF A SALESMAN.

I definitely agree with you about a better budget and Technicolor. Most films that take place in Mexico  should be done in Technicolor with the exceptions being LOS OLVIDADOS and TOUCH OF EVIL. I do think that Mel Ferrer was perfect for the role. Anyway, I am certainly glad I finally got to see it.  Thank you,Sony and TCM. Now, if you could only do THIS THING CALLED LOVE and DEATH OF A SALESMAN.

Agree with you about DEATH OF A SALESMAN.

How about that car that Ferrer and Quinn were chauffeured around in?  It was a huge, huge convertible - any idea what kind of car it was?  I enjoyed seeing the Mexico of 65 years ago - at least what they showed - anyone catch that giant Coca Cola sign?

RO did mention that the cinematographer was Academy Award winner Floyd Crosby - the father of David Crosby of the Byrds back in the day.  I love RO's sharing of trivia like this - I never knew this fact.  He also mentioned the sad ending for Miroslava in real life.

I did have to look away/put my hand up to block the screen (I have a small TV) during a lot of the bullfight scenes.  They were the real deal and too much for me.

Anthony Quinn had an especially nice laugh in this film.

Really terrific film.  In some ways better than ALL THE KINGS MEN.  I was a bit suspect about the film transfer, however.  I'm pretty sure it was taken from a 16mm negative.  This would account for the grey image and the flat soundtrack (I have an original 16 and the track is very dynamic - but transferring from a negative would yield high noise and require excessive EQ).

Also, there was white dirt but very little black dirt. Again, indicating transfer from negative.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings