Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broderick Crawford's bathrobe in "Born Yesterday"

suejeanne

"Born Yesterday" was on TCM today - seeing it again reminded me to look for information about that bathrobe that Broderick Crawford wore in the movie - very sharp!  Does anyone know about that bathrobe?  Was it Broderick Crawford's own personal bathrobe?  Who was the designer?  Did it spark any imitations back at that time, in 1950?  Seems to me that lots of gals would be looking for that robe to give to their hubbies . . . and would again!

I think that Brod got that robe from Oleg Cassini, it was for his wife Gene Tierney but was sized a little too big for her . ;)   I can honestly say that having watched every episode of HIGHWAY PATROL multiple times I never saw Dan Mathews (Broderick Crawford) wearing a bathrobe.

I think that Brod got that robe from Oleg Cassini, it was for his wife Gene Tierney but was sized a little too big for her . ;)   I can honestly say that having watched every episode of HIGHWAY PATROL multiple times I never saw Dan Mathews (Broderick Crawford) wearing a bathrobe.

A bathrobe, especially one worn wide open in front, wouldn't have given him much credibility on the highway.

I can't say I'm interested in Broderick Crawford's bathrobe as much as I am interested in Broderick Crawford's Oscar and how no one outside of classic film communities throughout the country and the world knows who he is. Judy Holliday for that matter too. 

• 1 month later...

I've never been a big bathrobe guy. I consider it an unnecessary, and showy, article of clothing.

I'm not sure that is really a bathrobe,  as in a rope that is worn when one exists a shower or bath but doesn't wear outside of their bedroom \ bath room area.    My wife uses a bathrobe instead of towels.  She said this was common in Italy because in places that are not well heated (e.g. don't have central heating like her parents home in Italy).

To me Crawford's robe looks like the type one would wear over their pajamas instead of over their naked body.     

Forget Broderick Crawford's smelly old bathrobe.

For just $350 USD you can get a replica Orson Welles bathrobe and help fund the completion of his last film The Other Side of the Wind.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finish-orson-welles-last-film/contributions/new/#/contribute?perk_amt=350&perk_id=2831136

Does that mean in comes only in Orson Welles' size?  

For just $350 USD you can get a replica Orson Welles bathrobe and help fund the completion of his last film The Other Side of the Wind.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finish-orson-welles-last-film/contributions/new/#/contribute?perk_amt=350&perk_id=2831136

At least this purchase supports a worthy cause.  

The limited.edition Tor Johnson bathrobe is fetching small fortune on ebay as we speak.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings