Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone else having this problem with watching TCM?

bmovies

For years, only in recent days its gotten horribly worse, watching movies on the TCM channel is like trying to watch very badly scratched DVD discs. Very constant pixilation, freezes, sound goes out, stop, start, stop, start, skips, etc. EVERY single second throughout the movie. See attached pictures. This is just a small example what I'm seeing while trying to watch DOA.

I have cable tv, not satellite. And its only on the TCM channel where this is happening. All my other channels do not have this problem.post-46505-0-35184200-1429462512_thumb.jpgpost-46505-0-53979300-1429462821_thumb.jpg

post-46505-0-35184200-1429462512_thumb.jpg

post-46505-0-53979300-1429462821_thumb.jpg

For years, only in recent days its gotten horribly worse, watching movies on the TCM channel is like trying to watch very badly scratched DVD discs. Very constant pixilation, freezes, sound goes out, stop, start, stop, start, skips, etc. EVERY single second throughout the movie. See attached pictures. This is just a small example what I'm seeing while trying to watch DOA.

I have cable tv, not satellite. And its only on the TCM channel where this is happening. All my other channels do not have this problem.attachicon.gif20150419_122623-1.jpgattachicon.gif20150419_125013-1.jpg

a pixillated public domain chestnut. :)

I suspect these problems are caused by your cable system. It is common to have poor signal quality within a limited band. I am sorry to say that I do not know of solution other than contacting your cable company. It may be that they made a slight change which unknowingly degraded your signal.

I suspect these problems are caused by your cable system. It is common to have poor signal quality within a limited band. I am sorry to say that I do not know of solution other than contacting your cable company. It may be that they made a slight change which unknowingly degraded your signal.

If my cable company is at fault, then why am I having this problem with only the TCM channel and not any of the other channels? I would think I would be seeing this on all channels.

My cable company(SuddenLink here in AZ) offers me two versions of TCM, one on channel 37 in low-def and another on channel 237 in high-def, and yeah, I've recently run into the occasional necessity of having to switch to the low-def ch. 37 while watching a film on high-def ch. 237 which begins to pixilate and freeze on me.

And yep, I believe this stems from some kind of degraded satellite signal my cable company is receiving from the TCM feed.

If my cable company is at fault, then why am I having this problem with only the TCM channel and not any of the other channels? I would think I would be seeing this on all channels.

Your cable company receives every channel, including TCM, seperately, sometimes off of different satellites or at the very least a different transponders on the same satellites. For each channel,  the cable company needs a seperate receiver and other equipment. So it's very possible, probably likely, that the problem is at the cable company's end.  Remember, if the problem was TCM's doing, it would be affecting everybody on all of the cable systems and satellite services and we'd sure hear about that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while you say "it's only happening with TCM'", you don't really know that for sure. It's possible it's happening on other channels that you don't watch or when you're not watching. I only mention that because it, if that's the case and it's happening on more than one channel, it could be a problem with your cable box.

For what it's worth, I get TCM in both HD and SD from DirecTV and  I often watch it in SD, on an old TV, in my basement workshop. While, as expected, the picture quality isn't as good as HD, I've never seen any kind of reception problems like you describe.

If it were me, I'd be raising a fuss with the cable company. Good luck.

I have cable tv, not satellite. And its only on the TCM channel where this is happening. All my other channels do not have this problem.attachicon.gif20150419_122623-1.jpgattachicon.gif20150419_125013-1.jpg

I have the same problem as you do.  From the other answers it looks like I will been on the phone to Comcast tomorrow.

I have Shaw Direct satelite in Canada. It's non HD.

While I'm not seeing much in the way of pixilization, I do frequently see the picture freeze followed by a complete blackout for anywhere from a few seconds to maybe a minute or so (more likely a few seconds) before the film resumes again.

Is anyone else seeing this as well?

My cable company(SuddenLink here in AZ) offers me two versions of TCM, one on channel 37 in low-def and another on channel 237 in high-def, and yeah, I've recently run into the occasional necessity of having to switch to the low-def ch. 37 while watching a film on high-def ch. 237 which begins to pixilate and freeze on me.

And yep, I believe this stems from some kind of degraded satellite signal my cable company is receiving from the TCM feed.

Dargo,  I too can watch TCM on a high def and a low def channel. My one  problem is that sometimes on the high def channel the sound track gets slightly out of line with the visual. So the person talking moves his lips and the sound comes out a second or so later. Never a problem on the regular TCM channel. The picture quality always looks about the same between the two. 

Call your cable company and have them send out a technician.  If that doesn't work, call and say you want a supervisor.  If that doesn't work, write to the cable company CEO.  Many technicians are contract employees and are able to install and initially set up a box, run wires, etc., but not a lot of experience or training in more complicated issues.

I have Charter and there are two TCM's-one SD and one HD.  I watch the SD on both an SD set and an HD set because that is the number I remember.  Interestingly, if I go to On Demand and back to TCM, the screen size is smaller with bars on all four sides.  If I switch to a high numbered channel and back to TCM, it goes back to full size.  Neither Charter techs nor customer service can explain it.  Does same on some other channels.

Apparently though it is in the box.  If I go to On Demand from one of the "news" channels and then back, it will jump to HD news channels if I start to scroll.  Ordinarily it doesn't.  Apparently the boxes are programmed to "seek" HD channels and to try and show in HD?

Anyway, Charter had to run a complete new underground line from street to my house and then new lines from outside box to inside boxes.  Also had to replace the main cable box five times.  Many boxes are actually reconditioned old ones and different brands work differently.

A lot of things go on in the boxes.  For instance, the information for programs is loaded into the box and does not come over the cable itself directly.  It is downloaded from cable to box and then to your TV.  So when it says "to be announced," that means the memory in your box is empty, not that cable system does not have the info.  Need to leave the box on even if not watching TV so it will download info from cable to your box.  Tech told me he leaves his box on 24/7 because things are constantly being sent to it and it needs to be on to successfully download them.  Otherwise, it has to download when you do turn it on.  "Download" may not be technically correct.

Good luck!  Ain't technology grand?

Many boxes are actually reconditioned old ones and different brands work differently.

Tech told me he leaves his box on 24/7 because things are constantly being sent to it and it needs to be on to successfully download them.  Otherwise, it has to download when you do turn it on.  "Download" may not be technically correct.

That's very true about used boxes. All cable and satellite companies do that. Somebody turns one in and they "test" it, probably just by plugging it it and seeing if it seems to work. Then they clean the exterior, coil up the cable and off it goes to somebody else. Of course, that's nothing new. Back when people use to get their phones from the local phone company, more often than  not they gave the customer a used one.

I don't know why a tech would say not to turn a cable box off. Even when it's "off" it really isn't. It's still receiving programming and other information. The only thing that's actually turned off is the signal going to to the TV and any indicator lights on the box. The only real way to turn it off is to unplug it and that can really mess things up for a while.

Dargo,  I too can watch TCM on a high def and a low def channel. My one  problem is that sometimes on the high def channel the sound track gets slightly out of line with the visual. So the person talking moves his lips and the sound comes out a second or so later. Never a problem on the regular TCM channel. The picture quality always looks about the same between the two. 

Actually Mr.R, I've noticed that when I switch to the low-def TCM channel and then increase the picture size to fill the full screen(still keeping in the proper aspect ratio of the film being shown, of course), and something you don't have to do with the high-def TCM channel, the picture quality becomes more grainy and less sharp. and due of course or at least I would guess to the "spreading" of the lower number of pixels being received in low-def mode.

You can easily have one or two channels out of tune, my cable company has this happen often. It is also possible it is sunspots causing it at some times of the year if they use satellites for their feed.

Sometimes your HDTV can be the cause. I have cable, and the audio/video are received as separate signals. Occasionally, the audio portion doesn't get processed as fast as the video through whatever processors in my tv and I get out of sync sound. On my set at least, I've found that simply flipping to another channel and back again will re-sync them.

I'm not using boxes or converters, just a cable-internet splitter and a modem.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings