Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Baby Face

NipkowDisc

because she had no interest in him and thus he was not moved to shoot himself in the head like them other poor bass terds. :D

You really outta stick to sci-fi, and stay away from pre-codes and romances. She certainly did love him. Making the decision to keep her 1/2 million at first was an anguished one for Lily. Didn't you watch her facial expressions? SHE LOVED HIM and that's what made her do the turn around on the ship. The Creature From The Black Lagoon (a movie you have said many times you love) is much more your speed :D

You really outta stick to sci-fi, and stay away from pre-codes and romances. She certainly did love him. Making the decision to keep her 1/2 million at first was an anguished one for Lily. Didn't you watch her facial expressions? SHE LOVED HIM and that's what made her do the turn around on the ship. The Creature From The Black Lagoon (a movie you have said many times you love) is much more your speed :D

I'm just sayin' young duke was a lucky guy here. she loved Brent, terrific but he still plugged himself. tom powers' brother shoots some poor guy then himself and she just stands there taking it in. such a creature could not love anyone and she seems most aware of her indifference. :)

Did you or did you not see the ending of the film? Brent didn't plug himself just because of Lily. Charges were being brought against him because of the bank troubles and he had no way to cover the money without Lily's help. He certainly didn't want to face prison.IT WASN'T JUST BECAUSE HE THOUGHT LILY DIDN'T LOVE HIM. Given Lily's background and her determination to never be poor again that was going to be her knee jerk reaction. When she thought it over on the ship, she realized that she loved Trenthom more than her jewels, bonds and cash. She also understood that all the other men she had, loved her for her body. Trentholm really loved her, not just for the s-e-x and that they had a real relationship.

Did you or did you not see the ending of the film? Brent didn't plug himself just because of Lily. Charges were being brought against him because of the bank troubles and he had no way to cover the money without Lily's help. He certainly didn't want to face prison.IT WASN'T JUST BECAUSE HE THOUGHT LILY DIDN'T LOVE HIM. Given Lily's background and her determination to never be poor again that was going to be her knee jerk reaction. When she thought it over on the ship, she realized that she loved Trenthom more than her jewels, bonds and cash. She also understood that all the other men she had, loved her for her body. Trentholm really loved her, not just for the s-e-x and that they had a real relationship.

Yeah, I did watch the whole film and the impression I got is when lily sits in on the board meeting with trenthorn. trenthorn knows exactly what she is, a very opportunistic strumpet so when he shows up later in paris and gets involved with her seems kinda dumb. I mean should trenthorn have really been surprised at her unwillingness to give up her acquired wealth she worked so hard to get? :)

Yeah, I did watch the whole film and the impression I got is when lily sits in on the board meeting with trenthorn. trenthorn knows exactly what she is, a very opportunistic strumpet so when he shows up later in paris and gets involved with her seems kinda dumb. I mean should trenthorn have really been surprised at her unwillingness to give up her acquired wealth she worked so hard to get? :)

No not kinda dumb. Lily worked hard at that job in Paris, she was determined to prove that she could and wasn't just  going to look for another rich man to hook. Trentholm recognized that in Lily, respected her for it and saw a fuller picture of the real Lily. Too bad you can't. Lily changed, she was capable of love Too bad you can't see or understand this story. I still say stick with what you know and enjoy The Creature From the Black Lagoon and other sci-fi films :)

• Like 1

No not kinda dumb. Lily worked hard at that job in Paris, she was determined to prove that she could and wasn't just  going to look for another rich man to hook. Trentholm recognized that in Lily, respected her for it and saw a fuller picture of the real Lily. Too bad you can't. Lily changed, she was capable of love Too bad you can't see or understand this story. I still say stick with what you know and enjoy The Creature From the Black Lagoon and other sci-fi films :)

LOL!

You need to forgive him for not understanding the motives and actions of an independent women.    I mean this is a guy who feels sorry for the Creature From the Black Lagoon because women rejected the creature's offers for a date.   Really nice lagoon setting,  relaxing on the beach,  a little swim,,,,  what can go wrong there!   :lol:

You need to forgive him for not understanding the motives and actions of an independent women.    I mean this is a guy who feels sorry for the Creature From the Black Lagoon because women rejected the creature's offers for a date.   Really nice lagoon setting,  relaxing on the beach,  a little swim,,,,  what can go wrong there!   :lol:

LOL james, you said it, couldn't agree more ;) not only Lily's actions, but Trentholm's as well. I've always loved this film and think it's such a great example of a pre-code. The film is sexy and has smart dialogue. Some of Lily's lines are a riot. I think I've seen this film over a dozen times over the years and I never tire of it. I don't care that some might think the ending of the two staying  together and the fact that he doesn't die might be too pat and a cop out ending, I love it anyway just as it is. Also love Theresa Harris' singing voice, her credit should have been billed higher than it was, but those were the times. Anyway james, glad you agree :) and forgiveness isn't the issue, gotta just feel bad that he can't appreciate a most excellent film.

Whatever. Ain't Barbara Stanwyck grand?  I especially love her in her precode films.  Have you seen THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN?  If that movie had been made one year later, it would  never have been released - full of all the things that couldn't be put on the screen, interracial sex, suicide, etc., etc.  Speaking of the Code, has anyone read it?  Frightening and in effect until the 1960s.

"maybe you're right." -rooster cogburn :)

I really liked Baby Face.  This is one of those films that I kept seeing scheduled and kept intending on recording it and always seemed to forget.  I'm so happy I finally managed to remember to DVR it. 

I loved this movie.  I hadn't seen many of the pre-codes until the Pre-Code Fridays we had in September and the ones I managed to see here and there.  Prior to TCM featuring the Pre-Codes last fall, I unfairly dismissed the early talkies as "creaky" and "boring."  As a result, I had been avoiding them.  Obviously, I was watching the wrong movies. 

Baby Face was a great film.  While sleeping your way to the top is probably not the best way to go about attaining wealth and success, I loved Lily's reason why she went about being independent the way she did.  For years (since she was 14), her father had been w horing her out to his speakeasy customers.  For years men used her for her body and she received nothing in return. With the advice of the old Nietzche reading friend (I missed his relation to her), she decided to turn the tables and use men to get what she wants. 

I think what makes the Lily character are Barbara Stanwyck's facial expressions.  Without her smirks, the knowing glances, the flirtation, etc. this movie wouldn't have worked.  With barely any words, Lily could get any man to do what she wanted.

I also liked her character's change at the end.  In the Production Code era, Stanwyck's character would have been run out of the city and shamed, or she would have been killed, or faced some other type of punishment for her actions.  In this film, Stanwyck realizes that she's finally found a man who loves her for her and not for her body.  At first, she selfishly tries to take the monetary gifts she was given and then realizes on the train that she is in fact in love and doesn't want to see husband George Brent go to jail.  I liked that he didn't die at the end.  I like to think that Brent recovered fully from his injuries and he and Stanwyck started back down at the bottom and perhaps went into business together to attain wealth again. 

I'm looking forward to all the Barbara Stanwyck Pre-Codes in July.

I really liked Baby Face.  This is one of those films that I kept seeing scheduled and kept intending on recording it and always seemed to forget.  I'm so happy I finally managed to remember to DVR it. 

I loved this movie.  I hadn't seen many of the pre-codes until the Pre-Code Fridays we had in September and the ones I managed to see here and there.  Prior to TCM featuring the Pre-Codes last fall, I unfairly dismissed the early talkies as "creaky" and "boring."  As a result, I had been avoiding them.  Obviously, I was watching the wrong movies. 

Baby Face was a great film.  While sleeping your way to the top is probably not the best way to go about attaining wealth and success, I loved Lily's reason why she went about being independent the way she did.  For years (since she was 14), her father had been w horing her out to his speakeasy customers.  For years men used her for her body and she received nothing in return. With the advice of the old Nietzche reading friend (I missed his relation to her), she decided to turn the tables and use men to get what she wants. 

I think what makes the Lily character are Barbara Stanwyck's facial expressions.  Without her smirks, the knowing glances, the flirtation, etc. this movie wouldn't have worked.  With barely any words, Lily could get any man to do what she wanted.

I also liked her character's change at the end.  In the Production Code era, Stanwyck's character would have been run out of the city and shamed, or she would have been killed, or faced some other type of punishment for her actions.  In this film, Stanwyck realizes that she's finally found a man who loves her for her and not for her body.  At first, she selfishly tries to take the monetary gifts she was given and then realizes on the train that she is in fact in love and doesn't want to see husband George Brent go to jail.  I liked that he didn't die at the end.  I like to think that Brent recovered fully from his injuries and he and Stanwyck started back down at the bottom and perhaps went into business together to attain wealth again. 

I'm looking forward to all the Barbara Stanwyck Pre-Codes in July.

I think this film would come near the top of the list of most people's favorite pre-codes.

I think this film would come near the top of the list of most people's favorite pre-codes.

Top 10, anyway, if for no other reasons than Stanwyck and Theresa Harris, especially in the first stage of the film before the move to New York.  And let's also give a nod to another splendid performance by Robert Barrat, in his role as Stanwyck's creepy father.

For sheer sticking a finger in the eye of the censors, though, Baby Face isn't in the same league as Red-Headed Woman, which winds up with Harlow unrepentant for her serial homewrecking, and still having a Sugar Daddy in Paris, with her original lover still available when Sugar Daddy isn't looking!   While 99% of even the raunchiest pre-code films end with either a complete turnaround of character (like Gable in the 1931 Possessed) or a tear-stained confession (Miriam Hopkins in The Story of Temple Drake), only Red-Headed Woman and Joan Crawford's Rain come up four square on the side of the "sinners" and defy the censors to do anything about it.

• Like 1

Any of you knowledgable people know what the background music is when Lily is about to vamp? I've been humming it for the past two days. Well, three now...

I think you're asking about WC Handy's ST. Louis Blues. Theresa Harris sings it through out the film besides  the song being played as background music

Any of you knowledgable people know what the background music is when Lily is about to vamp? I've been humming it for the past two days. Well, three now...

LavenderBlue answered that, but I'd only add that "Baby Face" (the title song) was a pop song from the 1920's that was also an R&B single by Little Richard, released sometime in the late 1950's.  I first remember a version of it being played over the loudspeakers during timeouts at Redskins games from that same decade.