Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

July 2015 schedule available-- Shirley Temple is SOTM

TopBilled

Notable highlights:

Shirley Temple as Star of the Month

Eddie Mueller's Summer of Darkness Friday Night spotlight continues from June into July.

imgres.png

More Treasures from the Disney Vault.

UCLA Archive tribute in the middle of July.

240px-joan_collins_-_monte-carlo_televis

Dame Joan Collins is Guest Programmer.

Movie Camp (formerly Essentials Jr.) continues.

AFI Lifetime Achievement Award tribute for Steve Martin at the end of the month.

For  the Treasures from the Disney Vault segment on July 2, they are airing a lot of things I remember from "Vault Disney " on Disney Channel back in the day (the 1990s). 

I wonder if THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE will be in pan-and-scan.

I hope not.

The movie was shot in CinemaScope.

For  the Treasures from the Disney Vault segment on July 2, they are airing a lot of things I remember from "Vault Disney " on Disney Channel back in the day (the 1990s). 

I certainly like how this is timed to coincide with U.S. Independence Day-- giving us a showing of JOHNNY TREMAIN.

mv5bmjqxmtk5mjm0of5bml5banbnxkftztcwotaw

Here's a list of the month's primetime themes:

1         WHITE MEN AMONG NATIVE AMERICANS

2         TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT

3         SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER OF DARKNESS

4         ESSENTIALS: MARCHING MUSICALS

5         MOVIE CAMP: SEAN CONNERY POST-BOND

6         STAR OF THE MONTH SHIRLEY TEMPLE

7         100TH ANNIVERSARY OF TECHNICOLOR, PART 1

8         100TH ANNIVERSARY OF TECHNICOLOR, PART 2

9         ALIEN INVASION

10         SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER OF DARKNESS

11         ESSENTIALS: GOING HUNGARY

12         MOVIE CAMP: GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES

13         STAR OF THE MONTH SHIRLEY TEMPLE

14         MAIL ORDER BRIDES

15         UCLA ARCHIVE TRIBUTE

16         JOHN WAYNE IN THE 70S

17         SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER OF DARKNESS

18         ESSENTIALS: ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL

19         MOVIE CAMP: FRITZ LANG

20         STAR OF THE MONTH SHIRLEY TEMPLE

21         SEEING RED

22         GUEST PROGRAMMER JOAN COLLINS

23         BURNS & ALLEN

24         SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER OF DARKNESS

25         ESSENTIALS: COLD FEET

26         MOVIE CAMP: TWO BY KORDA

27         STAR OF THE MONTH SHIRLEY TEMPLE

28         LES BLANK

29         ROBERT OSBORNE’S PICKS

30         AFL LIFE ACHIEVEMENT STEVE MARTIN

31         SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER OF DARKNESS

I wonder if THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE will be in pan-and-scan.

I hope not.

The movie was shot in CinemaScope.

None of the four selections airing in July will be in widescreen. So like DARBY O'GILL, we will see some cropped films again.

None of the four selections airing in July will be in widescreen. So like DARBY O'GILL, we will see some cropped films again.

"Noooooo!!!!!"

---to quote Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader when he learns that Padmé is dead and that he killed her (the Emperor lied about the second part).

240px-joan_collins_-_monte-carlo_televis

Dame Joan Collins is Guest Programmer.

It looks like she didn't select any Shirley Jones movies.

:)

LOL...well, to be fair, when Shirley was guest programmer a few years ago, she didn't pick any Joan Collins films.

One thing I find very interesting about Joan's choices is that she chose THE WOMEN. As most everyone knows, she was in MGM's remake, THE OPPOSITE SEX with June Allyson (which TCM is airing right afterward). 

well, to be fair, when Shirley was guest programmer a few years ago, she didn't pick any Joan Collins films.

If Shirley Jones had been promoting her memoirs  at the time she might have a selected a Joan Collins movie just so she could mention the story about Collins from her book ---- the one that Collins said never happened and that she was ultimately able to have removed from future published editions and from the ebook.

If Shirley Jones had been promoting her memoirs  at the time she might have a selected a Joan Collins movie just so she could mention the story about Collins from her book ---- the one that Collins said never happened and that she was ultimately able to have removed from future published editions and from the ebook.

I am guessing Dame Joan has a new book coming out this summer and that is why she's doing this sit-down with Osborne. I will be looking forward to her comments about THE WOMEN and THE OPPOSITE SEX. I think she has stated before that her mother named her after Joan Crawford, because Crawford was her mum's favorite actress. So in a way it was her destiny to become an actress too and to re-do a role that Crawford had done. I think it's perfect casting and equal to the original performance. Usually, at that time at Fox, Collins was playing much more sympathetic characters (like the one in SEA WIFE). But THE OPPOSITE SEX is a turning point in her career, and gave her the chance to start perfecting her skills in vampy parts that led to Alexis.

A month of Shirley Temple is like Chinese water torture, but that festival of schmaltz is more than made up for by the five Fridays in the Summer of Darkness.  I only wish I could get a memory loss pill so that all these fabulous noirs would be new to me instead of repeats. 

While I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Shirley Temple (movies centering about cutesy, precocious children usually don't do anything for me), there's no doubt that she is a Hollywood legend and deserves the honor.  I don't believe she's ever been SOTM, so all in all, I'm happy with TCM's choice.  I'm interested to see Shirley's films she made in the latter half of her career, in the 1940s, when she was a teenager-early 20 something.  I've seen The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer and really liked her in that. 

Per usual, there are a ton of things that look interesting to me.  I'm glad TCM is continuing with film noir Fridays.  Can't get enough of those films.

This is what caught my eye when I perused the schedule:

7/2 Disney Vault
-Johnny Tremain
-2 Documentaries: The Liberty Story & The Living Desert

7/3

Summer of Darkness

-The Big Clock

7/5

The Best Years of Our Lives- I keep DVR-ing this movie and something always happens to the DVR that I end up not being able to watch it.

7/6

Pete Kelly's Blues, airing during a Janet Leigh birthday tribute, this film sounded interesting: 1920s, jazz, speakeasies... I don't know what else I could want in a film.

7/7

Leave Her to Heaven, Gene Tierney.  I watched this once but want to see it again.

7/8

Heaven Can Wait, a Gene Tierney film I haven't seen.

7/9

Evening of Alien Invasion Movies
-Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
-It Came From Outer Space
-The Day the Earth Stood Still
-Invasion of the Body Snatchers
-Invisible Invaders
-They Came From Beyond Space

7/10

Summer of Darkness
-Caged, I like Eleanor Parker and Agnes Moorehead and haven't seen this film.

-On Dangerous Ground, stars Ida Lupino.  My new star to discover and watch.

7/12

Ball of Fire, want to watch this Barbara Stanwyck film again and give Gary Cooper another chance.

Divorce, American Style. I like Debbie Reynolds and DIck Van Dyke.  I saw this beginning of this movie that last time it aired and didn't see the end.

7/15

Barbara Stanwyck Pre-Code
-Illicit
-Night Nurse
-So Big
-Ever in My Heart
-Ladies They Talk About
-Gambling Lady
-A Lost Lady

Pitfall, noir starring Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott.  It sounded interesting.

7/17
Summer of Darkness

7/19
Mrs. Parkington, love me a good melodrama

7/20

Penelope, I saw this film I think during the last Natalie Wood birthday tribute and really enjoyed it.  It's too bad it's not available on DVD.

A Cry in the Night, a Natalie Wood film I haven't seen.  It sounded good.

SOTM Shirley Temple, these films feature Temple during the latter part of her career.

7/22

Keeper of the Flame- A Hepburn/Tracy film I haven't seen.

7/23

Claudette Colbert Marathon
-The Secret Heart
-Without Reservations
-Tomorrow is Forever
-Three Came Home
-Parrish

7/24

Summer of Darkness

7/25
Love On the Run, I like Clark Gable and am trying to enjoy Joan Crawford more.

7/26
Roberta, I recorded this the last time it was on and it started in the middle for some reason.  I'm going to try again with this film.

7/27

More films from the adult part of SOTM Shirley Temple's career.

7/29

William Powell Birthday Daytime Theme:

-The Kennel Murder Case
-Rendezvous

Robert Osborne's picks, both featuring David Niven whom I enjoy:

Separate Tables
Bonjour Tristesse

7/30
Pennies From Heaven, This film sounded fun.
AFI Lifetime Achievement Award: Steve Martin

7/31
Summer of Darkness
I Died a Thousand Times, interestingly enough, it features Shelley Winters.  I wonder if she's knocked off in this film too.

I found two films of special interest:

July 23 - LAMBCHOPS (1929) comedy short with the film debut of Burns and Allen.  I don't know if this has played on TCM before?  I did put it in the Suggest a Movie list a while ago but this appearance could be just a co-incidence.

July 25.  SKIPPY (1931).   With Jackie Cooper.  For which he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.  Its director, Norman Taurog won the Oscar for this.

Skippy has long been unavailable on dvd.  To my knowledge the only copies that are circulating are very bad public domain knock-offs with hefty price tags.  So it will be interesting to see what the quality is like for this one.

Again, I don't know when the last time TCM showed this but I have been requesting it for a long time so I am very pleased to see it on the schedule.

I'm also happy to see WANDA, THE KENNEL MURDER CASE and DINNER AT EIGHT being repeated.

July 25.  SKIPPY (1931).   With Jackie Cooper.  For which he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.  Its director, Norman Taurog won the Oscar for this.

Skippy has long been unavailable on dvd.  To my knowledge the only copies that are circulating are very bad public domain knock-offs with hefty price tags.  So it will be interesting to see what the quality is like for this one.

Again, I don't know when the last time TCM showed this but I have been requesting it for a long time so I am very pleased to see it on the schedule.

This is the second time SKIPPY has aired on TCM. It premiered in 2010 during 31 Days of Oscar. I recorded it then (at the end of my VHS recording days) and they used a spectacular print from Universal (which controls Paramount films from the 30s). Incidentally, Taurog was Cooper's uncle. Taurog, Cooper and Coogan made a sequel called SOOKY named after Coogan's character, but it has never aired on TCM.

My guess is we're seeing SKIPPY, because TCM has obtained it for a few viewings-- probably for Cooper to be the child star featured during Summer Under the Stars.

7/31

Summer of Darkness

I Died a Thousand Times, interestingly enough, it features Shelley Winters.  I wonder if she's knocked off in this film too

No, she's still alive when the end credits roll-- but (spoiler) another one of the main characters dies at the end. I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES lives in the shadows of its famous parent, HIGH SIERRA, upon which it is loosely based-- but Winters and costar Jack Palance have great chemistry and this film is worth watching. Plus, unlike HIGH SIERRA, it's in gorgeous WarnerColor.

Some of the daytime programming includes:

1st: Charles Laughton

2nd: Witchcraft movies

6th: Janet Leigh

9th: Joseph Losey / Michael Redgrave

13th: Setting Is Japan

14th: Jungle movies & sequels

15th: Barbara Stanwyck in the 1930s

16th: Warners B Films

20th: Natalie Wood

21st: Midnight and other times

22nd: Spencer Tracy

23rd: James Stewart / Claudette Colbert

27th: Magician movies

28th: THIN MAN movies

29th: William Powell

30th: Billie Burke

I just noticed that the prime-time schedule for Sunday, July 12th is devoted to short films, and it kicks off with the great Robert Benchley's "How to Sleep" (1935). Benchley (1889-1945) was one of the leading humorists of his time, and the film won the Academy Award for Best Short Subject, Comedy.

His son Peter Benchley (1940-2006) wrote the best-selling 1970s novels "Jaws" and "The Deep," both of which were turned into major motion pictures.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings