Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Andy Hardy movies scheduled backwards

MovieMadness

I noticed the same. It struck me as someone just dumping the movies into the schedule with no real appreciation for what they are... that there might be an appropriate order to them unlike, say, the Boston **** movies.

Maybe it's just me but it has seemed like the programming has been somewhat lacking and random lately.

Did anyone notice the Andy Hardy movies today are scheduled backwards? The first one is 1958 and the last one is 1940. A very puzzling way to have them programmed. 9 movies you watch Andy grow younger.

Maybe Wednesday was Bizarro Earth Day! (Another "Seinfeld" reference).

Did anyone notice the Andy Hardy movies today are scheduled backwards? The first one is 1958 and the last one is 1940. A very puzzling way to have them programmed. 9 movies you watch Andy grow younger.

TCM's answer to "Benjamin Button"!

As the character Andy Hardy doesn't seem to age over the years of the franchise, the order they're shown in really doesn't matter all that much, does it?

Or do y'all always feel the need to b!tch about something?  ;) 

Sepiatone

As the character Andy Hardy doesn't seem to age over the years of the franchise, the order they're shown in really doesn't matter all that much, does it?

Sepiatone

should the old planet of the apes movies be shown any ol' way? :P

Sepiatone

To me this 'out of order' was sloppy TCM programming.   Most of the plots are based on Andy growing up;  e.g. his first kiss,  graduating from High School,  going to college etc...    So to me it is odd TCM would pull a Benjamin Button.   I assume this was done on purpose and I just find it strange.     

Have you watched any of the movies? This is the first one they showed-

Andy, now a middle-aged married man with children, returns to Carvel on business and gets involved in local politics.

Then they put these in after it-

Andy, finished with high school, turns his attention to girls, including the aquatic charms of Williams.

While Judge Hardy handles a divorce case, Andy romances the couple's withdrawn daughter (Reed)

As he's about to graduate from high school, Andy gets a swelled head and hires Grayson (who gets to sing Strauss's "Voices of Spring") to be his social secretary.

So the order does matter quite a bit. It is not like these are Sherlock Holmes movies where I don't think the order matters as much. If you can't see the logic here then Spock would be disappointed.

BTW they did show all of the Tarzan movies in the proper sequence so it isn't like they aren't aware of its importance in some series.

Did anyone notice the Andy Hardy movies today are scheduled backwards? The first one is 1958 and the last one is 1940. A very puzzling way to have them programmed. 9 movies you watch Andy grow younger

TCM has done that on occasion with series they've shown a lot. I think its more a matter of its policy of  rotating individual films in all the various day parts more than anything else. With most movies, if you follow the schedules they will eventually get scheduled at all hours of the day and night. I guess that has to do with the fact that TCM is on in so many time zones.

Personally, as much as may I like a series, a can only take three or maybe four (if they're short) in a row. I would never watch the whole thing in one sitting. Same as I don't binge watch TV series on Netflix. That's just me, if one likes doing it, have fun. :)

Exactly right, this is not new for TCM but is something they deliberately do from time to time, sort of showing a bit of a sense of programming humor and "mixing things up" a bit.  I do think this may also help them ensure the movies air in different time periods/zones, and also frankly I suspect many viewers who are interested might just record them rather than watch them "live," and they can then be seen in any order desired.  Certainly many people watch TCM "live" but there are many others such as myself who record anything of interest on a DVR and watch when convenient, not when it happens to actually be on TCM.

FYI, this is not the first time TCM has decided to show the HARDY series in reverse order, they also did it when Mickey Rooney was Star of the Month in December 2010 and they showed 16 backwards!  They have had a THIN MAN marathon in reverse order too.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings