Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

One can vent your particular dislike of a film, or performer that you have seen that you detest, OR something that you have no interest in ever seeing.

I have particular disdain for Mel Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES.  In fact, it is one of only four films that I have ever walked out of in my entire moviegoing life.

I know this is beloved my some and, incredibly even deemed to be a 'classic' by others.  But I found nothing in this film to be redeeming in any way with the possible exception of its theme song performed by the great Frankie Laine.

For me, BS was bad Carol Burnett humour on the big screen.  And just to clarify my taste a little, I am a fan of the Stooges, Marx Bros., The Producers, Get Smart and the Beverly Hillbillies tv series.  Jerry Lewis on the other hand in his idiot or twit persona also makes me cringe.

• Like 1

I'm with Polecat on that one....I find new cartoons trite and most other new films just too boring. All dizzying movement and zero story to engage me.

As for classic movies, I harbor disdain for oh-so-beautiful dramatic songbirds like Katherine Grayson & Jeanette MacDonald. While I think MacDonald is ok in a role, I can't stand her singing. Intolerable when accompanied by Nelson Eddy. Get the needles.

(Singing only works for me in lighter venues, such as Wizard of Oz or Unsinkable Molly Brown)

And a hate, hate, hate westerns & mysteries. Westerns are a bore and being a horse person myself, totally unrealistic. Mysteries are resolved in a neat bow in the last 10 minutes by some smug charactor-big surprise. And nothing irks me more than the parade of non Asians playing Charlie Chan. Get the needles again.

The only film I ever walked out and requested my money back (I made a thread about this a year or two ago) was ANGELA'S ASHES. I felt like it was wrong to pay ten bucks for poverty and despair. It was such a grim story without any real uplifting sentiment or hope to balance out the more serious aspects of the story, I couldn't stand it. Usually I will stick through to the end, finding artistic merit or something worthwhile (because I know not every movie is made to make us feel good)-- but for some reason, ANGELA'S ASHES really bothered me and around the 45 minute mark I left. I couldn't find any entertainment value in it. That had never happened to me before while watching a movie-- and thankfully, it has never happened again.

• Like 1

Anything, anything, anything with Tom Cruise plus any modern TV show not named Masterpiece or Masterpiece Mystery.  George Raft really grates on me as well.  Most movies out of the late 1950's/early 1960's.  One minute of Mae West and I'm really to head for the hills.  Rock Hudson makes me wish for sharp needles in the eyes and ears.  The overly bubbly wired-to-the-max Debbie Reynolds. 

Anything, anything, anything with Tom Cruise plus any modern TV show not named Masterpiece or Masterpiece Mystery.  George Raft really grates on me as well.  Most movies out of the late 1950's/early 1960's.  One minute of Mae West and I'm really to head for the hills.  Rock Hudson makes me wish for sharp needles in the eyes and ears.  The overly bubbly wired-to-the-max Debbie Reynolds. 

I don't blame Tom Cruise for the "War of The Worlds" flop - it had a stupid plot! 

One can vent your particular dislike of a film, or performer that you have seen that you detest, OR something that you have no interest in ever seeing.

I have particular disdain for Mel Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES.  In fact, it is one of only four films that I have ever walked out of in my entire moviegoing life.

I know this is beloved my some and, incredibly even deemed to be a 'classic' by others.

Glad to know that there's someone else who finds that movie borderline moronic.  I also love The Producers, and I love much of the material Brooks wrote for Sid Caesar, and his season long collaboration with Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm, but Blazing Saddles is just one tired and predictable neo-vaudeville punch line after another, with no real wit to it, like a raunchier version of some stupid Bob Hope movie from the 40's.  It may not be "the" worst movie ever made, but it's definitely a contenda.

IF it's an actual word, subjectivity seems to be the main thing here.  We all like what we like for a variety of reasons, as we do the things we don't like.

But, I wonder.....

HAMRADIO said HE doesn't blame Tom Cruise for the "War Of The Worlds" flop..."It had a stupid plot"

Was he referring to that version's screenplay?  Or the H.G.Wells novel?

Plus, I thought Blazing Saddles was an excellent send-up of the western genre in that it poked fun and pointed out the absurdity of many things audiences have blithely overlooked and stupidly accepted over the years.

Personally, MY needle choices are:

ANY Marlene Dietrich movie.  SHE actually was like a needle to the eye!

I'd include Garbo, but sometimes, I like to catch up on my sleep!

So, I'll place ADOLPH MENJOU in her stead.

and...this too, will seem like sacrelidge to some...

BOWERY BOYS movies!  Loved the "Dead End" kids in THAT movie, AND the one they did later with JOHN GARFIELD in which they worked on that DATE FARM.  But THAT'S about when it should have ended!

Throw in The Three Stooges.( loved them when I was a kid, but I GREW UP!).

Now, I didn't think Tom Cruise's "War Of The Worlds" was all that bad.  There ARE and WERE worse sci-fi offerings before AND since.

But, his "Mission Impossible" movies were impossible for me to take.

Although I used to love their TV show, most ABBOTT and COSTELLO movies grate my nerves.

George Peppard is another one I could live without.

Sepiatone

IF it's an actual word, subjectivity seems to be the main thing here.  We all like what we like for a variety of reasons, as we do the things we don't like.

But, I wonder.....

HAMRADIO said HE doesn't blame Tom Cruise for the "War Of The Worlds" flop..."It had a stupid plot"

Was he referring to that version's screenplay?  Or the H.G.Wells novel?

Plus, I thought Blazing Saddles was an excellent send-up of the western genre in that it poked fun and pointed out the absurdity of many things audiences have blithely overlooked and stupidly accepted over the years.

Personally, MY needle choices are:

ANY Marlene Dietrich movie.  SHE actually was like a needle to the eye!

I'd include Garbo, but sometimes, I like to catch up on my sleep!

So, I'll place ADOLPH MENJOU in her stead.

and...this too, will seem like sacrelidge to some...

BOWERY BOYS movies!  Loved the "Dead End" kids in THAT movie, AND the one they did later with JOHN GARFIELD in which they worked on that DATE FARM.  But THAT'S about when it should have ended!

Throw in The Three Stooges.( loved them when I was a kid, but I GREW UP!).

Now, I didn't think Tom Cruise's "War Of The Worlds" was all that bad.  There ARE and WERE worse sci-fi offerings before AND since.

But, his "Mission Impossible" movies were impossible for me to take.

Although I used to love their TV show, most ABBOTT and COSTELLO movies grate my nerves.

George Peppard is another one I could live without.

Sepiatone

I was making the statement about the "War of The Worlds" remake.  Aliens coming down in lightning bolts to tripods buried right under our feet without anyone ever digging one up. Give me a break!

The "John Carter" film at least made more sense since they kept with the Edgar Rice Burroughs books even though they're OUTDATED! Maybe the lesson is that such novels cannot be made in this day of age.

525293.jpg

The only thing about the "Mission Impossible" movies I miss is.... the lighted fuse.  :P

mission-impossible.jpg

I know this is beloved my some and, incredibly even deemed to be a 'classic' by others.  But I found nothing in this film to be redeeming in any way with the possible exception of its theme song performed by the great Frankie Laine.

For me, BS was bad Carol Burnett humour on the big screen.  And just to clarify my taste a little, I am a fan of the Stooges, Marx Bros., The Producers, Get Smart and the Beverly Hillbillies tv series.  Jerry Lewis on the other hand in his idiot or twit persona also makes me cringe.

I never liked it either. never paid to see it. Think I saw it on tv. Probably edited.

I'll save DGF the trouble of posting;   Having to watch June Allyson.

LOL

Oh, I've never gotten the impression that DGF views posting as a "trouble", James.

Well, UNLESS of course his postings might require more than three sentences, anyway!  ;)

(...btw...my "needles in my eyes instead of watching movie" would be "A Clockwork Orange")

LOL

Oh, I've never gotten the impression that DGF views posting as a "trouble", James.

Well, UNLESS of course his postings might require more than three sentences, anyway!  ;)

(...btw...my "needles in my eyes instead of watching movie" would be "Clockwork Orange")

I was just about to post the same thing about Clockwork Orange. Saw it when it first opened in theatres and once was enough. I can probably say the same about The Exorcist.

I went to see A CLOCKWORK ORANGE when it first came out, as well. I couldn't decide if it was a masterpiece or an atrocity so when back to see it a second time. I can't recall my final decision then except to say that I haven't seen the film since and will never have it as part of my DVD collection. I've no desire to view it again, though, truth be told, the thought of needles in my eyes ain't too pleasant either.

I'd rather have soap rubbed in my eyes than see Clockwork again. Is that emphatic enough? (Needles, yuck, nasty business).

I was just about to post the same thing about Clockwork Orange. Saw it when it first opened in theatres and once was enough. I can probably say the same about The Exorcist.

Funny thing about "The Exorcist", lavender. I saw that one within the first few days of its release when I was 21, and it scared the livin' bejesuses out o' me. However, flash forward a couple of decades and when I happened to catch it on television and I started laughing at my memory of it scaring the bejesuses out o' me, 'cause it then dawned on me what a fairly hokey flick it actually was.

(...and probably because by my middle-aged years, I started believing less and less in all that kind'a "stuff"...if ya know what I mean) ;)

Funny thing about "The Exorcist", lavender. I saw that one within the first few days of its release when I was 21, and it scared the livin' bejesuses out o' me. However, flash forward a couple of decades and when I happened to catch it on television and I started laughing at my memory of it scaring the bejesuses out o' me, 'cause it then dawned on me what a fairly hokey flick it actually was.

(...and probably because by my middle-aged years, I started believing less and less in all that kind'a "stuff"...if ya know what I mean) ;)

I wound up seeing it the first wknd also. I wasnt really all that interested in seeing it, but a friend wanted to go. A lot of people in the audience were scared, but I wasnt. Just thought it was gross. Glad it didnt win Best Picture.........

Definitely won't see Clockwork Orange again, I get what you mean about The Exorcist, but I'll pass on seeing it again. too many great films out there to enjoy and not enough time ;)

Carol Burnett stuff was much better. But you're right, BS comes across like a bad TV skit. Awful.

• Like 1

I've never been able to muster up enough interest to watch A CLOCKWORK ORANGE even once.  Same with PERFORMANCE (1970).  ► I once had a nice old Warner clamshell case release of "Performance" and sold it on Amazon without ever having watched it.  I had bought it with a smorgasbord of other old-time Warner clamshells from a closing video store in late 1997/98 and at some point I read more about the movie and it sounded like something that just wouldn't interest me that much. 

I do think it's a bit overdramatic, however, to say you'll stick needles in your eyes instead of watching a particular movie you don't like when all you have to do is close them.  Take a snooze instead!  With that in mind I have a fresh idea!  Why not just say you'll take up the 'hobby' of self-immolation before watching "A CLOCKWORK ORANGE" (or any such movie you despise) again and you can burn yourself into a charred husk of humanity while your neighbors watch and point.  :)  Nothing too dramatic there, I think. 

► However, if anyone here decides to stick needles in their eyeballs instead of watching 'BLAZING SADDLES' please let me know and I'll have a good laugh.  That would be funny thinking about folks walking into walls with syringes sticking out of their head.   :D