Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

Wallace Beery in any of those syrupy sentimental star vehicles MGM designed for him. When Beery started wiping his nose and dabbing his eyes on screen I'm headed for the nearest exit.

On the other hand, whenever Beery played a darker character, one that might have some nastiness to him, he was quite credible as a performer.

His Long John Silver in Treasure Island is a mixture of both Beerys.

Excellent illustrations of when he was good would be The Big House and Viva Villa, the latter far and away the one Beery vehicle that I genuinely enjoy.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Mercifully I only caught the last 25 minutes of Step Lively, the 1944 Frank Sinatra movie on TCM this morning.  Utterly dreadful and features everything that was bad about quickie schmaltzy Hollywood musicals of the 40's.

Mercifully I only caught the last 25 minutes of Step Lively, the 1944 Frank Sinatra movie on TCM this morning.  Utterly dreadful and features everything that was bad about quickie schmaltzy Hollywood musicals of the 40's.

Great! Good thing I taped it then!

Wallace Beery in any of those syrupy sentimental star vehicles MGM designed for him. When Beery started wiping his nose and dabbing his eyes on screen I'm headed for the nearest exit.

On the other hand, whenever Beery played a darker character, one that might have some nastiness to him, he was quite credible as a performer.

His Long John Silver in Treasure Island is a mixture of both Beerys.

Excellent illustrations of when he was good would be The Big House and Viva Villa, the latter far and away the one Beery vehicle that I genuinely enjoy.

Actually, 40 Mule Team is good also

That's why I watch TCM. I may not like every movie I watch, but the quality of films is always there no matter what you may prefer.

The problem is that there are very few films being made that have good screenplays.

Boy do I agree with you there!

I understand "language" to propel charactor development is a thing of the past, due to global distribution of films. Language has been displaced by "action".

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).

Once is enough for this one.

I hated the songs.  Just dreary 'talking' singing like they did in the dreadful Les Miserables (2012).

I even hated the over-baked look of Sweeney Todd.  The obvious steel blue grey tones of the entire film. 

This was Tim Burton at his worst as far as I'm concerned.  

Agreed 100%

I first became aware of "unmelodious" songs with Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom.

When I see the worship kids have for NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, I wonder how they can even like these tone deaf musical numbers.

And yeas, "art direction" now means "hit over the head" with PhotoShop.

• Like 1

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch anything with Marlene Dietrich. She is one classic actress that I positively can't stand.  I don't think she's talented, I don't think she's pretty, I don't find her engaging or charismatic, I just find her annoying and frightening. I've sat through her movies when she's had a leading man I'm into, but it kills me to do so. While I'm sticking needles in my eyes, she also makes me want to puncture my eardrums.  I can't believe how far she got on absolutely nothing, imo. 

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch anything with Marlene Dietrich. She is one classic actress that I positively can't stand.  I don't think she's talented, I don't think she's pretty, I don't find her engaging or charismatic, I just find her annoying and frightening. I've sat through her movies when she's had a leading man I'm into, but it kills me to do so. While I'm sticking needles in my eyes, she also makes me want to puncture my eardrums.  I can't believe how far she got on absolutely nothing, imo. 

Every matinee idol - leading man (and sometimes gal) were beating a path to her bedroom door for a good 30 years.

You name them ... John Gilbert, Gary Cooper, Jean Gabin, Yul Brynner  and on and on and on.

I'm reading a John Wayne biography right now that discussed his lengthy affair from the late thirties to the early forties with Dietrich. He was competing with Kay Francis for Dietrich's affections.

• Like 1

Every matinee idol - leading man (and sometimes gal) were beating a path to her bedroom door for a good 30 years.

You name them ... John Gilbert, Gary Cooper, Jean Gabin, Yul Brynner  and on and on and on.

You have to give her credit--she had a long career, despite the fact that she could not sing and she had trouble with her "r's."  I love _Blue Angel_, regardless.

I know it and I don't understand it. I always thought it was because everyone knew she was Hollywood's bicycle and maybe sleeping with her was a rite of passage or something. Otherwise it escapes me. 

I'm reading a John Wayne biography right now that discussed his lengthy affair from the late thirties to the early forties with Dietrich. He was competing with Kay Francis for Dietrich's affections.

I love Duke Wayne but he did have bad taste. lol....Kay Francis, huh? I guess Duke won that one?  Heck, knowing Dietrich, she had them both.   :)

You have to give her credit--she had a long career, despite the fact that she could not sing

I dunno, I have 3 Dietrich LPs and they're quite good.

I think much of Dietrich's appeal is that she is a "Euro" entertainer - 

Like Carmen Miranda typifies "South American" flavor, Dietrich typifies "German" sensibilities. A very noble thing considering this was during WW2.

I also think her popularity helped define that German culture was great, but whatever Hitler was doing was not.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Oh, I just finally watched Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007).

Once is enough for this one.

I may divide the crowd by saying that I hated the songs.  Just dreary 'talking' singing like they did in the dreadful Les Miserables (2012).

I even hated the over-baked look of Sweeney Todd.  The obvious steel blue grey tones of the entire film. 

Bogie, this last sentence could apply to 50% of today's films. 75%?

• Like 2

Kay looked better in a dress than Wayne.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

"Paint Your Wagon" as enduring hearing Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood sing is beyond my capabilities.

Also the movie "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" or anything with Seth Rogen in it.

"Paint Your Wagon" is one of my guilty pleasures. I could watch it anytime. And Lee Marvin after buying a bride agrees to build her a log cabin AND adjust his behavior to be respectful? How did those 19th century gals do it? As for Seth Rogen, seeing him in Steve Jobs as Woz really raised my opinion of him. Always interesting to hear other opinions though.

Independence Day is my "needles in my eyes" film BTW.

A few movies that irritate the heck out of me outweigh any positive virtues these films may otherwise contain:

That Red Skelton movie that was recently on TCM (with a bunch of others the same day) where he played a character named 'Aubrey Piper'.  Maybe that kind of 'comedy' was funny in the 1940s; irritating as hell now.  And sometimes downright stupid.  Now I admit there are not many movies categorized as 'Comedies' that make me laugh.  There just aren't.  However, very few of those movies annoy me to anger, either.  Any comedy that makes me laugh gets an automatic ^thumbs up^ from me no matter how bad it is (see the 1981 comedy 'GAS').  Anyway, I do not recall the name of the RS movie offhand even though I watched it just a few days ago.  I had no reason to remember the title; only that I shant watch it again.    

That Edmond O'Brien-featured movie where the name of 'Heimie Manush' is repeated ad nauseum.  That movie airing on TCM just ♦begs♦ me to change the channel.  What scriptwriter thought that was amusing in any sort of way?  About as entertaining as watching cars rust. 

→ With the April schedule now up wanna play a bad cinematic joke on yourself and waste 109 minutes?  Watch the 1986 movie 'WISDOM' on April Fools Day and I guarantee you'll feel like a dummy for watching when it ends.