Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

One can vent your particular dislike of a film, or performer that you have seen that you detest, OR something that you have no interest in ever seeing.

I have particular disdain for Mel Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES.  In fact, it is one of only four films that I have ever walked out of in my entire moviegoing life.

What's fascinating to me is supposedly it was Richard Pryor's idea in the first place. And he couldn't get it made because of fear of the profanity he was known for in those days. His name is still in the credits. I wonder what movie he actually had in his head and would have been better ?

And Bogie, what were the others you walked out on ?

To answer the question:  I like most of the actors listed on this thread that many of you would rather not watch. It really is subjective.

• Not a fan of Gary Cooper. That "aw shucks, I'll play my harmonica" stuff just falls flat for me.
  • Any dumb horror film that follows the exact same dumb stereotypes.  
  • Peter Sellers, especially when he's playing some unconvincing ethnic character. When I'm watching the Pink Panther films, I root for the bad guys/gals.
  • Anytime Tom Cruise is saving the world. He just seems like he uses money to make whatever film he wants whether it fits him or not. Mission Impossible was about a "team". And he kills them off in the first film. I never bothered with any of the others.
  • I love silly humor. But, if I had to sit through this bad drunken/pot I can't remember what happened last night and now there is a horse in my hotel room nonsense , I might have to reach for the syringe !
  • Like 1

What's fascinating to me is supposedly it was Richard Pryor's idea in the first place. And he couldn't get it made because of fear of the profanity he was known for in those days. His name is still in the credits.

Blazing Saddles began as a story called "Tex X" by Andrew Bergman. When Brooks came on board he wanted a black writer involved and eventually hired Pryor. Curiously, according to Brooks, he himself ended up writing much of Bart's material, while Pryor was drawn to the character of Mongo and wrote many of his scenes.

Again according to Brooks, Pryor was supposed to play Bart but the studio would not approve him.

It's MY further understanding that since Pryor was "refused", it was also Pryor who suggested Cleavon Little for the role of Bart, and that some hesitated because Little was basically an unknown whose previous exposure to a wide audience was a small part in some short lived and forgotten TV show.

What's NOT to like?

A cast that included:

GENE WILDER

HARVEY COREMAN

MADELINE KAHN

SLIM PICKENS

And many other well liked and familiar character actors---and how some people laugh when just hearing some off the wall LINE:

"Don't nobody move, or the NI**ER gets it!"

"I like rape."

"See?  It's coming off" ( from a scene in which Wilder is furiously rubbing Cleavon Little's palm)

"Where de WHITE women at?"

"P I S S on you!  I'M working for MEL BROOKS!

Cowboys eating beans around a campfire and passing gas.  How many times had THAT probably REALLY happened? :lol:

MONGO sticking his whole face in the fire to light a cigar!

Bart with  GUCCI saddlebags riding past COUNT BASIE!

You want ABSURD and OFF THE WALL?

You GOT it!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It's MY further understanding that since Pryor was "refused", it was also Pryor who suggested Cleavon Little for the role of Bart, and that some hesitated because Little was basically an unknown whose previous exposure to a wide audience was a small part in some short lived and forgotten TV show.

What's NOT to like?

A cast that included:

GENE WILDER

HARVEY COREMAN

MADELINE KAHN

SLIM PICKENS

And many other well liked and familiar character actors---and how some people laugh when just hearing some off the wall LINE:

"I like rape."

"See?  It's coming off" ( from a scene in which Wilder is furiously rubbing Cleavon Little's palm)

Cowboys eating beans around a campfire and passing gas.  How many times had THAT probably REALLY happened? :lol:

You GOT it!

Sepiatone

Granted there a some very funny lines \ scenes in BS.  Very funny.   But overall I just don't enjoy the movie and find it mostly boring.

• Like 1

What's NOT to like?

A cast that included:

GENE WILDER

HARVEY COREMAN

MADELINE KAHN

SLIM PICKENS

"I like rape."

You GOT it!

Sepiatone

Harvey Coreman? Actually. it's Korman.

"I Like rape"? No way that line would fly in 2915.

Yep, probably in 900 years from now, that line would be found even LESS funny, alright! ;)

(...and here you think political correctness is bad NOW days, do ya?!) 

What's NOT to like?

A cast that included:

GENE WILDER

HARVEY COREMAN

MADELINE KAHN

SLIM PICKENS

IMHO the Blazing Saddles script is strong enough that it survives the miscasting of Gene Wilder as the Waco Kid. The role was offered to John Wayne, who turned it down (but thought it hilarious and said he'd be the first to buy a ticket).

This offer shows that Brooks wanted an old cowboy star for the part. Whether he offered it to people like Scott Brady (who had comic ability) or Rory Calhoun and their ilk, I don't know. BS actually started production with Gig Young (not exactly a western mainstay, though I know he did at least one) as the Kid. According to a bio of Young, his casting was a requirement for Brooks to get the financing. Brooks hated Young, who had heavy problems with alcoholism. Some photographs of Young in character on the set with Brooks still exist (I saw them in a documentary on Young, but cannot find them on line). Brooks showed absolutely no sympathy for Young, who eventually left the film (whether fired or quit is unclear).

The role was then offered to Dan Dailey -- yet another 50+ former leading man, notice -- who supposedly accepted on a Friday, then withdrew on Sunday.

Brooks finally gave up on his old-time movie star casting and hired Wilder (who had been MB's original choice for Hedley Lamar, but turned it down). The problem with Wilder is that it makes sense for a Jewish character comedian to team up with a black outcast. We lose the wonderful incongruity that would have come from teaming Bart with somebody like Lee Van Cleef.

IMHO the Blazing Saddles script is strong enough that it survives the miscasting of Gene Wilder as the Waco Kid. The role was offered to John Wayne, who turned it down (but thought it hilarious and said he'd be the first to buy a ticket).

This offer shows that Brooks wanted an old cowboy star for the part. Whether he offered it to people like Scott Brady (who had comic ability) or Rory Calhoun and their ilk, I don't know. BS actually started production with Gig Young (not exactly a western mainstay, though I know he did at least one) as the Kid. According to a bio of Young, his casting was a requirement for Brooks to get the financing. Brooks hated Young, who had heavy problems with alcoholism. Some photographs of Young in character on the set with Brooks still exist (I saw them in a documentary on Young, but cannot find them on line). Brooks showed absolutely no sympathy for Young, who eventually left the film (whether fired or quit is unclear).

The role was then offered to Dan Dailey -- yet another 50+ former leading man, notice -- who supposedly accepted on a Friday, then withdrew on Sunday.

Brooks finally gave up on his old-time movie star casting and hired Wilder (who had been MB's original choice for Hedley Lamar, but turned it down). The problem with Wilder is that it makes sense for a Jewish character comedian to team up with a black outcast. We lose the wonderful incongruity that would have come from teaming Bart with somebody like Lee Van Cleef.

Did John Wayne actually have to buy tickets to see the films he wanted to see?

Sandi Dennis or Shelly Winters.

But, Mel Brooks is way up there.

Lydecker

Shelly Winters plays a lot of very annoying, easy to hate characters but she is an actress and these were the parts she was given.  As an actress she plays them very well.     I view Shelly differently than say Sandi Dennis or June Allyson;  actresses that to me are very annoying even when the character they are playing isn't suppose to be.

• Like 1

All those "legendary" western type actors turning down roles in Blazing Saddles reminds me of how Bob Denver used to laugh derisively at Tina Louise's refusals to join in any "Gilligan" reunions because she wanted to be a "serious" actress.  Denver, in a local newspaper's interview claimed he tried to tell her. "The damage is already done, Tina.  Nobody is ever going to think of you as the next Ethel Barrymore.  You'll ALWAYS be "Ginger" to them.  Look at what happened to Max Baer!"

HE knew that the truth is....

There's NO dignity in unemployment.

HAD The Duke done "saddles", I'd have had MORE respect for him!

Sepiatone

There seems to be quite a mixed response to Blazing Saddles on this thread. I didn't care for the film originally but watched it again recently and found it fitfully amusing (though it doesn't have a patch on either The Producers or Young Frankenstein, my two favourite Mel Brooks productions).

One of the biggest problems that I have with the film is the casting of Gene Wilder as the Kid. While I found Wilder wonderful in the other two Brooks films I just named, both of them call for him to be hysterically over the top at times. He's all wrong, in my opinion, playing a laid back "cool" character, though, such as he does in Saddles. I found him painfully unfunny in the role and I think the film flounders in many of the scenes with him.

On the other hand, Cleavon Little and Harvey Korman are terrific, not to mention Madeline Kahn, and I love watching Brooks himself as the Guv'nor whose main obsession seems to be his secretary who looks like she just stepped out of the Hefner mansion.

images2_zpsrhhtu1hr.jpg

Shelly Winters plays a lot of very annoying, easy to hate characters but she is an actress and these were the parts she was given.  As an actress she plays them very well.     I view Shelly differently than say Sandi Dennis or June Allyson;  actresses that to me are very annoying even when the character they are playing isn't suppose to be.

I agree with you about Winters. Sinatra would not agree. But can you think of a Shelley Winters character that wasn't annoying?

About 95% of the stupid "slasher" movies of the last 30 years or so.  About 95% of the films that have computer generated special effects.

Wow, mrroberts.... it sounds like you like Old Classic Movies like me! :)

All those "legendary" western type actors turning down roles in Blazing Saddles reminds me of how Bob Denver used to laugh derisively at Tina Louise's refusals to join in any "Gilligan" reunions because she wanted to be a "serious" actress.  Denver, in a local newspaper's interview claimed he tried to tell her. "The damage is already done, Tina.  Nobody is ever going to think of you as the next Ethel Barrymore.  You'll ALWAYS be "Ginger" to them.  Look at what happened to Max Baer!"

Bob Denver was misinformed or perhaps he thought his "routine" was funny so the truth didn't matter. 

Pot often makes people think they are more humorous than they actually are.

Tina Louise did offer to appear in the first GILLIGAN'S ISLAND reunion movie, but Sherwood Schwartz refused to meet her salary request. Schwartz has confirmed this fact.

Bob Denver has also told false stories about Tina Louise's sexual escapades in her dressing room on the set of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND.

According to Russell Johnson, Tina Louise was always professional throughout the run of the show even though it was misrepresented to her when she signed her contract that she was the star of the series.

As for Max Baer, he had a successful career as a writer, director and producer after his days as a "sitcom star" and retired to Lake Tahoe while he was still in his 40s.  

• Like 1

I agree with you about Winters. Sinatra would not agree. But can you think of a Shelley Winters character that wasn't annoying?

Not really, but I think at least some of my shuddering is also a subliminal reaction to that hideous gaptooth that she never got fixed.  It's almost like it's her trademark, but it works a lot better for Michael Strahan.

279823-michael-strahan.jpg?itok=b-W9n8VU

Cute 'n' Cuddly

13021175_118746939247.jpg

Not so Cute 'n' Cuddly

Sorry Andy, but I still say it was primarily Shelley's(and yeah, Sandy Dennis') grating voice(s) that mostly contributes to many people finding them "annoying", myself included. However, and as has been previously mentioned, both being excellent actresses.

• Like 1

Shelley Winters' gap tooth never bothered me because I never noticed that she had it.

c561803d-d23d-449f-b6aa-a5e5bac5fc5c_zps

People tend to forget about how Shelley looked in her early cheesecake days.

She's better remembered for her later cheesecake days in which she consumed at least one of them every 24 hours. ;)

• Like 4

Shelley Winters' gap tooth never bothered me because I never noticed that she had it.

People tend to forget about how Shelley looked in her early cheesecake days.

She's better remembered for her later cheeecake days in which she consumed at least one of them every 24 hours. ;)

That's funny. The late great Jeanne Cooper of The Young and the Restless who considered Shelley one of her closest frenemies (because that's the best you could do with someone who had Shelley's personality) said people constantly were amazed Shelley had ever been under contract to Universal for several years at the beginning, because she was so bipolar and hard to like. But I think the early cheesecake photos show that Shelley Winters was easier to like back then.

Sorry Andy, but I still say it was primarily Shelley's(and yeah, Sandy Dennis') grating voice(s) that mostly contributes to many people finding them "annoying", myself included. However, and as has been previously mentioned, both being excellent actresses.

Yes, both of them come under the "Whiner" category which makes me want to kill them every time they open their mouths.

Lydecker

Yes, both of them come under the "Whiner" category which makes me want to kill them every time they open their mouths.

Lydecker

And as we found out in the "actors that have died the most on screen" thread,   Shelly's screen persona also made other characters in the movies she was in want to kill her, and they did!     Sometimes she does escape this fate,  like in He Ran All the Way,  but while watching this movie I really wanted Garfield to take her out.  

And as we found out in the "actors that have died the most on screen" thread,   Shelly's screen persona also made other characters in the movies she was in want to kill her, and they did!     Sometimes she does escape this fate,  like in He Ran All the Way,  but while watching this movie I really wanted Garfield to take her out.  

One thing I wanted to say about Shelley dying on screen so much-- it had to be her choosing. She seems like the type of person who fought for certain roles in certain movies. Ultimately, she had to be okay with doing all those death scenes, because she knew they were already written waiting for her to perform. And I think she liked playing them because they were an easy way to grab the audience's attention.

After POSEIDON ADVENTURE ends, she's the one we remember most. If you have a big death scene, or you play a splashy obnoxious character, then you make a memorable impression on the audience. And in films where she doesn't die, she usually faces some sort of doom, like she does when Palance is killed in I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES. We know she is not going to enjoy a happy life with him dead. In HARPER, she probably doesn't have a good life, either, when the movie's over. She picked those parts because she could be showy and tragic. Even in FRENCHIE and WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN?, she's flamboyant and troubled, though she doesn't die in those films.

I guess for me it's the combination of the voice and the look that makes me want to avoid her movies, or fast forward past the scenes that she's in.  There are other actresses with equally grating voices* (Judy Holliday**), and maybe a leading lady or two who's even less easy on the eyes (though I can't think of any at the moment), but together they're just poison.  This isn't a judgment on her acting ability, since I've never paid enough attention to her on the screen to notice that one way or the other.  But overall her whole persona is just like chalk on a blackboard.

* Admittedly that's a subjective call.  Some people find Jean Harlow's voice the most grating of them all, but I've always found it delightful.  And of course as a comedienne Harlow had no equal.

**If Winters had been cast as a dizzy dame more often, maybe her voice wouldn't have seemed so annoying.  Holliday's raspy voice just seemed like a complement to her deft comic touch.