Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

While Shelley Winters is definitely not my favorite actress by any means, and I'll agree that she is pretty irritating in many of her roles, except for I felt bad for her in A Place in the Sun, I loved her as Roseanne's Grandma Mary in Roseanne.  She was hilarious in that role.

Re: Her Cheesecake photos.  Wow! I had no idea she looked like that in the early days.  To me, she always looked kind of dumpy.  At least in comparison with her peers like Ava Gardner, Lana Turner and the like.

But I think the early cheesecake photos show that Shelley Winters was easier to like back then.

Not only was Shelley easier to like but easier to lick. ;) The lady had quite an active sex life in her younger days, her later claims of conquests including a few Hollywood legends.

The image of the later Winters on film dominates with most fans today when they think of her. It's nice to recall, though, that there was once a slimer, more attractive Shelley. Perhaps it was A Place in the Sun that first let us see that Winters also had strong dramatic chops as an actress. Amazing that the same actress posing in that cheesecake photo several posts ahead could also look so ordinary and plain on screen. (Of note, though, Winters did give strong hints of acting potential when she played the doomed waitress picked up by Ronald Colman in A Double Life).

While Shelley Winters is definitely not my favorite actress by any means, and I'll agree that she is pretty irritating in many of her roles, except for I felt bad for her in A Place in the Sun, I loved her as Roseanne's Grandma Mary in Roseanne.  She was hilarious in that role.

Re: Her Cheesecake photos.  Wow! I had no idea she looked like that in the early days.  To me, she always looked kind of dumpy.  At least in comparison with her peers like Ava Gardner, Lana Turner and the like.

I had little sympathy for her character in A Place in the Sun and I believe the director and producer want the audience to have little.  This allow us to instead have sympathy for the Clift character and the situation he is in.   As in;  yea,  he should have done something to save her,,, but,,  well I can also understand why he didn't and just let her drown! 

I mean her whining voice in almost every scene were the two of them are in.  Her clinging \ cloying persona was very irritating to me.

Is she had been very appealing he would have come off as a total jerk and we wouldn't have cared about how Liz felt about him and any of this actions after the drowning.

BUT again,  this just shows how fine an actress she was,  because that was just her playing a type of part.   A type of part she was one of the best at.

PS:  As for her looks - yea, nice body in those early days but I wouldn't say she had a beautiful face,  just average.

In an interview with Shelly I read long ago, she claimed to have been relieved to reach a point in her career which she didn't need to work so hard to keep up that "cheesecake" type appearance.  She struggled all her life with weight issues, and trying to keep looking like a fashion model in order to land certain movie roles was exhausting.  Having a career long enough to be old enough to play "flirty" matrons was more to her liking.

She also revealed how, after getting worked up while shooting romantic scenes with "hunky" leading men, they'd repair to the dressing room to "finish what was started"!  ;)

Sepiatone

I had little sympathy for her character in A Place in the Sun and I believe the director and producer want the audience to have little.  This allow us to instead have sympathy for the Clift character and the situation he is in.   As in;  yea,  he should have done something to save her,,, but,,  well I can also understand why he didn't and just let her drown! 

I mean her winning voice in almost every scene were the two of them are in.  Her clinging \ cloying persona was very irritating to me.

Is she had been very appealing he would have come off as a total jerk and we wouldn't have cared about how Liz felt about him and any of this actions after the drowning.

BUT again,  this just shows how fine an actress she was,  because that was just her playing a type of part.   A type of part she was one of the best at.

PS:  As for her looks - yea, nice body in those early days but I wouldn't say she had a beautiful face,  just average.

Well, I sympathize with a woman who temporarily finds love, only to lose the guy to a better looking wealthier girl.

Well, I sympathize with a woman who temporarily finds love, only to lose the guy to a better looking wealthier girl.

Liz Taylor represented "the good life" in A PLace in the Sun that the ambitious Clift wanted while Winters was a "mouse" who represented drudgery to him. I don't find that the motives of Clift's character in the film make him completely sympathetic. Winters (especially once impregnanted by him) is a victim of his who gets inconveniently in his way to that "good life" of affluence and a beautiful woman. I find it easy to sympathize with Winters. She did nothing to deserve her drowning fate.

• Like 1

Liz Taylor represented "the good life" in A PLace in the Sun that the ambitious Clift wanted while Winters was a "mouse" who represented drudgery to him. I don't find that the motives of Clift's character in the film make him completely sympathetic. Winters (especially once impregnanted by him) is a victim of his who gets inconveniently in his way to that "good life" of affluence and a beautiful woman. I find it easy to sympathize with Winters. She did nothing to deserve her drowning fate.

This may have been her most sympathetic role.

Just saw Shelley in a restored print of Robert Siodmaks's 1948 noir, Cry of the City with Richard Conte and Victor Mature on the big screen.  Shelley was really good as was Hope Emerson, Berry Kroeger and Mimi Aguglia.  Aguglia was a relevation.

But the real star was Alfred Newman's score.

I hope TCM can acquire this restored Fox film. 

This should be in another thread but it follows the Shelley Winters discussion.

I mean her whining voice in almost every scene were the two of them are in.  Her clinging \ cloying persona was very irritating to me.

I hate every character in that film.  I hate that film.

Just saw Shelley in a restored print of Robert Siodmaks's 1948 noir, Cry of the City with Richard Conte and Victor Mature on the big screen.  Shelley was really good as was Hope Emerson, Berry Kroeger and Mimi Aguglia.  Aguglia was a relevation.

But the real star was Alfred Newman's score.

I hope TCM can acquire this restored Fox film. 

This should be in another thread but it follows the Shelley Winters discussion.

That's funny.  I've seen Cry of the City twice, and I can't even remember Winters being in it.  Obviously a Freudian memory slip on my part, in order to make my recollection of that film much more pleasant.

Shelley Winters' gap tooth never bothered me because I never noticed that she had it.

c561803d-d23d-449f-b6aa-a5e5bac5fc5c_zps

People tend to forget about how Shelley looked in her early cheesecake days.

She's better remembered for her later cheesecake days in which she consumed at least one of them every 24 hours. ;)

LMREO!!!!!

No matter how much better she looked when she was young, she was still not close to being in Liz' league, and no way she could compete for George Eastman.

LOL. I never said she could. I was laughing over the cheesecake remark.Good one!

c561803d-d23d-449f-b6aa-a5e5bac5fc5c_zps

That picture shows her wearing the same bikini Marilyn posed in-they traded clothes back when they were roommates. Many do not know they were very good friends.

I just finished reading Shelly's second autobiography, and in it she addresses her frequent screen murders. She took it in stride, actually joking about it.

Like any of us, she just wanted work so she could earn a living. She was picky about choosing parts, and wanted to work with the best directors and fellow actors. But there was a time when she had to take whatever the studio put her in. Her "B" picture time period, as she refers to it.

I think she was an extraordinary actress. Irritating.... yes. But that was the role. Any actress would have been irritating. She just took similar roles to work with great talents like Charles Laughton, Robert Mitchum, George Stevens, Stanley Kubrick, etc.

• Like 5

Enough with the Shelley Winters bashing!

What about the MOVIES SO BAD THEY ARE GOOD?

I have watched movies of that type, such as BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, the Peter Finch LOST HORIZON, and ZABRISKIE POINT, and they have NOT made me laugh; quite the contrary, watching them has been absolute torment.

FWIW I enjoy the film version of Oklahoma, even if Zinnemann's direction is kind of flat and Gordon Macrae is a blank as an actor. Rod Steiger is a great Jud and does his own singing (he trained for the opera when he was young).

Imagine what Oklahoma might have been like if the role of Curly had gone to an actor they tested for the part: James Dean (they would have dubbed the singing). I can almost see Dean as Jud, but Curly???

..Richard Dix in anything.

I think he's stiff as a board; expresses little or no emotion; and is generally unappealing.

"Remember how bad things used to be? We fought rustlers... Fought Indians... Fought Dix."

nA7ehoq.jpg

"Remember when Richard Dix tried to take over the town?"

• Like 1