Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

• 2 weeks later...

Almost any Elvis flick..... :)

OR....

ever, ever again!!     ;)

I am in complete agreement with you on this one..

Tocklas.jpg

.. but Elvis? AIL-VISS! 

Oh, say it ain't so..! I like all of his musicals (and I do not like musicals as a genre), even though they are quite contrived. 

..but ELVISS!  Oh noooooo...!

:P

220px-SpinoutElvis.jpg

Almost any Elvis flick..... :)

220px-SpinoutElvis.jpg

OR....

ever, ever again!!     ;)

Tocklas.jpg

ALICE B. TOKLAS, and other late 60s, early 70s movies like THE BIG CUBE, MODESTY BLAISE, DAVID AND LISA, and.THE BABY (especially that last one).Two are staples of TCM (Underground), a couple are in heavy rotation on FMC.

I've not seen many Elvis Presley movies, but I have seen LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE (1968).  I liked it well enough.  I am not ashamed to admit it.  :)

I have not seen the 1969 Elvis fun-fest CHANGE OF HABIT, however, which co-stars Mary Tyler Moore as a nun.  I'm not sure I could stomach that one . . .

According to Russell Johnson, Tina Louise was always professional throughout the run of the show even though it was misrepresented to her when she signed her contract that she was the star of the series.

This is odd. There had already been a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND pilot without Tina before she was ever hired. How did they manage to convince her she'd be the star of a project when she was replacing someone who certainly wasn't the star?

I've not seen many Elvis Presley movies, but I have seen LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE (1968).  I liked it well enough.  I am not ashamed to admit it.  :)

I have not seen the 1969 Elvis fun-fest CHANGE OF HABIT, however, which co-stars Mary Tyler Moore as a nun.  I'm not sure I could stomach that one . . .

Actually, as Elvis movies go, it really wasn't that bad.  SOME Elvis fans didn't like it because it didn't really feature his singing.

Sepiatone

This is odd. There had already been a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND pilot without Tina before she was ever hired. How did they manage to convince her she'd be the star of a project when she was replacing someone who certainly wasn't the star?

The character of Ginger Grant ("The Movie Star") wasn't in the original GILLIGAN'S ISLAND pilot. There was no "movie star," only a secretary. As the new pilot was being developed, Tina Louise's agent misled her that the focus of the show would shift to "The Movie Star." Jayne Mansfield turned down the role of "The Movie Star" before it was pitched to Tina Louise.

• Like 1

I've not seen many Elvis Presley movies, but I have seen LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE (1968).  I liked it well enough.  I am not ashamed to admit it. 

LALLAL was based on a novel by Dan Greenberg called (are you ready?) Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips. Apparently some of the original's satire was retained in the movie, which spoofed Hugh Hefner's Playboy empire. LALLAL also featured, IIRC , one of Elvis' best songs from this period, "A Little Less Conversation".

I have not seen the 1969 Elvis fun-fest CHANGE OF HABIT, however, which co-stars Mary Tyler Moore as a nun.  I'm not sure I could stomach that one . .

Actually, as Elvis movies go, it really wasn't that bad.  SOME Elvis fans didn't like it because it didn't really feature his singing.

Strictly speaking COH is not really an "Elvis flick" in the strict dictionary definition of that term. It's essentially a padded Bold Ones script (in the same way that Charro is a padded Gunsmoke episode) that got expanded to TV-move length, and then somebody got the bright idea to crowbar Elvis into it. On its own terms it's a painless timekiller.

As Sherwood Schwartz pointed out, why would she think a show called Gilligan's Island was about the movie star?

I don't think ... no, let me start again ... I know that Elvis never made any great films, but in some of his very first films he showed some promise.

Love Me Tender (1956) Jailhouse Rock (1957) and King Creole (1958) the latter directed by Michael Curtiz no less, were sort of fun ventures.

Then there's Viva Las Vegas (1964) with Ann-Margret that everyone should see at lest once.  Ann-Margret steals the show which is amazing if you think about it.  Or, Ann Margrock as she was known on The Flintstones.

I don't think ... no, let me start again ... I know that Elvis never made any great films

Depends on your definition of "great". Flaming Star is a fine western by any standard, and EP gives a fine performance. His acting in the "renunciation" scene is better than anything I've ever seen from, say, Warren Beatty.

There is a quote describing Elvis as a good actor from one of his co-stars, none other than Walter Matthau (who was not known for tossing around compliments freely).  Unfortunately I can't find it online.

Depends on your definition of "great". Flaming Star is a fine western by any standard, and EP gives a fine performance. His acting in the "renunciation" scene is better than anything I've ever seen from, say, Warren Beatty.

There is a quote describing Elvis as a good actor from one of his co-stars, none other than Walter Matthau (who was not known for tossing around compliments freely).  Unfortunately I can't find it online.

IMDb has this.. on that..

Walter Matthau : He [Elvis Presley] was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated.

Then there's Viva Las Vegas (1964) with Ann-Margret that everyone should see at lest once.  Ann-Margret steals the show which is amazing if you think about it.  Or, Ann Margrock as she was known on The Flintstones.

And don't forget about Betty and Wilma's heart-throbs (Stony Curtis and Cary Granite)  :lol:

The character of Ginger Grant ("The Movie Star") wasn't in the original GILLIGAN'S ISLAND pilot. There was no "movie star," only a secretary. As the new pilot was being developed, Tina Louise's agent misled her that the focus of the show would shift to "The Movie Star." Jayne Mansfield turned down the role of "The Movie Star" before it was pitched to Tina Louise.

I was definitely a Ginger man (boy) in the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debacle. Of course Dawn Wells was cute, with a sexy body. But Ginger's glamor (or something) did wonders for me growing up. Too bad Tina Louise wasn't able to parlay that gig into a bigger movie career afterwards. She might've got.caught in the shift from the 50s sexpots (GG wax nothing if not MM with red hair) to the more down to earth late 60s free love free spirits.l

I was definitely a Ginger man (boy) in the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debacle. Of course Dawn Wells was cute, with a sexy body. But Ginger's glamor (or something) did wonders for me growing up. Too bad Tina Louise wasn't able to parlay that gig into a bigger movie career afterwards. She might've got.caught in the shift from the 50s sexpots (GG wax nothing if not MM with red hair) to the more down to earth late 60s free love free spirits.l

And Ginger was definitely the best Honeybee.

• Like 1

IMDb has this.. on that..

Walter Matthau : He [Elvis Presley] was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated.

Mr. Matthau, one of my favorite actors, has spoken.  I have somehow acquired a bunch of Elvis movies and I kinda like the guy too.

Mr. Matthau, one of my favorite actors, has spoken.  I have somehow acquired a bunch of Elvis movies and I kinda like the guy too.

Matthau is right about early Elvis.   Sadly he became a punk.   He started out with a lot of potential but went downhill from there. 

Matthau is right about early Elvis.   Sadly he became a punk.   He started out with a lot of potential but went downhill from there. 

i think his manager "Colonel"  Parker saw Evis as a "money machine" and kept putting him into not so great movies.

I think in one of the TCM post-movie comments  it was noted that Parker made more money off Elvis than Elvis kimself.

Supposedly Elvis wanted to fire Parker, but he hated confrontation.

i think his manager "Colonel  Parker saw Evis as a "money machine" and kept putting him into not so great movies.

I think in one of the TCM post-movie comments  it was noted that Parker made more money off Elvis than Elvis kimself.

Supposedly Evis wanted to fire Parker, but he hated confrontation.

Ben said Colonel Parker wouldn't go unless Elvis told him to. In person - face to face. Elvis couldn't, so the Colonel wouldn't.

I just saw Tina Louise in THE STEPFORD WIVES and thought she did an outstanding job, I never knew she could really ACT. Sad that she wasn't offered better roles in her career, I think she could have been famous for more than that silly TV show.

I just saw Tina Louise in THE STEPFORD WIVES and thought she did an outstanding job, I never knew she could really ACT. Sad that she wasn't offered better roles in her career, I think she could have been famous for more than that silly TV show.

Silly TV show? SILLY TV show???? You do know what TV show we're talkin' about here, don't ya, lady????

We're talking about Gilli . . .

Err.. .. ummm, well . . . Point well taken, Tiki! :)