Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

I was definitely a Ginger man (boy) in the Ginger vs. Mary Ann debacle. Of course Dawn Wells was cute, with a sexy body. But Ginger's glamor (or something) did wonders for me growing up. Too bad Tina Louise wasn't able to parlay that gig into a bigger movie career afterwards. She might've got.caught in the shift from the 50s sexpots (GG wax nothing if not MM with red hair) to the more down to earth late 60s free love free spirits.l

In my fantasy, I never subscribed to the Ginger OR Mary Ann debate.

Well I always view this from a situational POV.   i.e.  each gal has certain positive attributes that apply to various situations.

I take a similar POV when asked Beatles or Stones  etc.....

Well I always view this from a situational POV.   i.e.  each gal has certain positive attributes that apply to various situations.

I take a similar POV when asked Beatles or Stones  etc.....

Excuse me here James, but I don't think John here quite had "listening to music" with these two lovely castaways in mind when he wrote that. ;)

Excuse me here James, but I don't think John here quite had "listening to music" with these two lovely castaways in mind when he wrote that. ;)

Yea,  I could be slow on the draw here.   As HoldenisHere points out, it is best to have both of them in any and all situations.

Do you mean you were in the Professor or Little Buddy camp?

Did anyone catch Michael Powell's Tales of Hoffman?  I thought I deserved a gold star after seeing it the first time.  'A' for effort.

I did not watch TALES OF HOFFMANN when it aired on TCM nor have I ever seen the movie but to tie this comment to the Ginger/Mary Ann GILLIGAN"S ISLAND comments also on this thread the Barcarolle "Belle nuit, ô nuit d'amour" from Offenbach's opera served as the melody for the song that Ginger Grant (Tina Louise) sang as Ophelia in the castaways' production of Hamlet: The Musical in the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND episode "The Producer."

And, yes, I've been known to sing this song on occasion to the amusement of many (and possibly the annoyance of a few haters).

Typing the lyrics from memory:

Hamlet dear, your problem is clear:

Avenging thy father's death.

You seek to harm your uncle and mom,

But you're scaring me to death.

While I die and sigh and cry

That love is everything.

You're content to try to catch

The conscious of the king.

Since the date when your dad met his fate,

You-ho-ho just brood

And you don't touch your food.

You hate yor ma, mad at my pa.

You'll kill the king or some silly thing.

So, Hamlet, Hamlet, do be a lamb. 

Let rotten enough alone.

From Ophelia no one can steal ya. 

You'll always be my own.

Leave the gravediggers' scene

If you know what I mean.

Danish pastry for two

For me, for you.

• Like 2

I'm more into Mary Ann than Ginger. Even though she was a

caricature of a Hollywood starlet, she still seems authentically

phony and superficial.

The Professor really got a break. The competition was Gilligan

and the Skipper. Yeah, right. This is assuming Mr. Howell is

faithhful to Lovey, and even if he wasn't....the Professor still

wins this going away. Maybe he won't be so enthusiastic about

getting off the island.

I always thought the Professor was kind of hunky.  Plus, he was the only one who had his own hut--no roommate. 

Why did the Professor get his own hut?

Lol.  He needed the extra space for that set of Encyclopedias that he brought along on the three hour tour.  Remember how he always seemed to find just the right book containing just the right information needed for whatever situation Gilligan had gotten them into at that time.

There is no accounting for taste. Actually, Natalie Schafer was

in her mid 60s when she played Lovey, and she wasn't bad

looking for someone that age.

Yep! I've said for years that IF Marilyn Monroe would have made it to her "golden years", she would have looked JUST like Natalie Schafer.

(...minus of course any plastic surgery Marilyn would have probably had performed on her...and then usually of course AGAIN, making the actresses who have that done to themselves end up looking nothing at all LIKE themselves...but enough about Kim Novak, Melanie Griffith, Dyan Cannon, Meg Ryan, etc, etc, etc, here)

Yep! I've said for years that IF Marilyn Monroe would have made it to her "golden years", she would have looked JUST like Natalie Schafer.

(...and I STILL say so!)

Wowsers.  Marilyn on Gilligan's Island.  Where is that alternate universe anyhoo?

..and maybe Marilyn didn't die afterall... Marilyn IS Natalie Schafer!

Crash (1996) and Crash (2004)

I detested both films.  I was unable to become involved with Cronenberg's fascination for people wanting to have sex with car crash victims and their mutilated body parts.  Puuuuleeease as Roger Rabbit would say.

And Paul Haggis's copycat titled film was almost as bad.  Cliches wrapped in cliches.  Every guy was an A hole.  Every woman mistreated.   The messaging was soooooo heavy-handed it was sickening.

But a critical success.  Go figure.  

Haggis makes tripe that fools people into thinking they are watching something that has deep meaning.

Orson Welles once said something to this effect "make something that spoon-feeds an audience but lets them believe they are thinking and they will love you for it.  Make something that really makes them think and they will hate you for it." 

• Like 1

I detested both films.  I was unable to become involved with Cronenberg's fascination for people wanting to have sex with car crash victims and their mutilated body parts.  Puuuuleeease as Roger Rabbit would say.

Yes, the subject matter of Cronenberg's's film was a major turn-off.

I have to admit that I was somewhat "fascinated" by the Cronenberg film, though yeah, it IS a "sick little movie" to be sure.

The two things that probably "fascinated" me the most in it were the staged re-enactment of the James Dean/550 Spyder crash...and HER...

loc_3_b.jpg

(...couldn't keep my eyes off of the sultry Miss Deborah Kara Unger while she was on-screen)

Crash (1996)

For those who care, this story was first filmed for British TV in the early 1970s. One of the stars was Gabrielle Drake (whose brother, Nick Drake, may be of interest to some). I think this was on YouTube at one point.

She does look like an older Marilyn, but for some reason, I don't think of that

when I'm watching the show. Some people have good plastic surgery outcomes,

and others, well not so much. There is a site called Topix that has lists of things

usually related to celebrities--20 celebrities who have twins, etc. Of course they've

done ones of celebrities who have had bad ps outcomes. It ain't pretty.

Marilyn on the island. The Professor scores again. This guy really fell into it.

Yep, occasionally there IS the celeb who finds themselves a good plastic surgeon. In fact, for years I was impressed with whoever the doctor was that worked on Morgan Fairchild's face.

The aptly named Miss Fairchild at 60 y/o...

Morgan+Fairchild+2011+White+House+Corres

And re the "Professor lucking out"? Well, sorry, but when it came to that sort'a thing, I also thought he was rather clueless.

(...okay, it was either THAT or he was maybe asexual...OR had maybe previously suffered some kind'a "war injury", if ya know what I mean) ;)

Morgan really got her money's worth. Still beautiful.

Maybe a stray coconut hit the Professor where it

shouldn't have. He did seem more interested in

doing science than trying to go after two good

looking women. Or maybe that was just an act.

Professor, you sly old dog you.

Maybe he was more interested in Gilligan?

Maybe he was more interested in Gilligan?

Always a possibility I suppose, Bogie.

I mean, the Professor DID always seem a little extra patient with the goofus First Mate of the S.S. Minnow, didn't he!

(..."currying future favors", perhaps?!)

Any disaster movie other than Airport (1970). When I saw Paul Newman AND Steve McQueen in, not only A disaster film, but the SAME disaster film.. that was it for me. I recognized the Dark Side when I saw it - and they had joined. My feelings are, all these big stars (fading, exes, and those on the cusp) are just doing extended cameos, and the reason the films are so long is that there are so many of these stars which require so many extended cameos.

Whenever I have forced myself to watch pieces of these, I have always felt sorry for those stars who are, in my mind, performing exaggerated tv roles.

Like the tv commercial of the (once) great Orson Welles hawking a brand of Japanese copier machines that no one had ever heard of. Just sad.

.. IMO

• Like 1

Any foreign film with sub-titles....

My wife and I tried to watch Life is Beautiful a few years back and we had to turn it off after just watching ten minutes. They talk so fast that I found myself reading the sub-titles more than actually watching the film.

If there are sub-titles in other films, for instance like The Longest Day, the characters are not talking as fast so I have time to watch the action on the screen and still read the sub-titles. Same for Dances With Wolves.