Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

Any foreign film with sub-titles....

My wife and I tried to watch Life is Beautiful a few years back and we had to turn it off after just watching ten minutes. They talk so fast that I found myself reading the sub-titles more than actually watching the film.

If there are sub-titles in other films, for instance like The Longest Day, the characters are not talking as fast so I have time to watch the action on the screen and still read the sub-titles. Same for Dances With Wolves.

I have the same difficulty. It's not that I don't like the film(s), I just can't do the film(s) any justice when my attention is divided. Many times, for talkies, I will turn the audio off and put on some good classical music.

And you're right about foreign films talking fast.. their audio tracks are sync'd differently than Hollywood's. Many have the audio a quarter to half-second earlier than ours, because that's how their audiences prefer them - many times this has fatigued me and I'll watch something else.

One can vent your particular dislike of a film, or performer that you have seen that you detest, OR something that you have no interest in ever seeing.

I have particular disdain for Mel Brooks' BLAZING SADDLES.  In fact, it is one of only four films that I have ever walked out of in my entire moviegoing life.

I know this is beloved my some and, incredibly even deemed to be a 'classic' by others.  But I found nothing in this film to be redeeming in any way with the possible exception of its theme song performed by the great Frankie Laine.

For me, BS was bad Carol Burnett humour on the big screen.  And just to clarify my taste a little, I am a fan of the Stooges, Marx Bros., The Producers, Get Smart and the Beverly Hillbillies tv series.  Jerry Lewis on the other hand in his idiot or twit persona also makes me cringe.

Jarrod McDonald!

Who? Jarrod or Jerry?

And what the hell is a wedge? Is it a fish?

A wedge is the NY equivalent of a hoagie/sandwich/sub/grinder/hero/po'boy/insert your own local nomenclature for a long roll filled with anything your heart desires.

Jarrod. Made a mint shilling for Subway, and supposedly losing weight eating only their disgusting *see above*.

A wedge is the NY equivalent of a hoagie/sandwich/sub/grinder/hero/po'boy/insert your own local nomenclature for a long roll filled with anything your heart desires.

Jarrod. Made a mint shilling for Subway, and supposedly losing weight eating only their disgusting *see above*.

Also known as "spuckies".

I dug up an explanation - here's an article on the various local names for subs - HERE

Oh, yeah.. I'd rather stick a needle in my eyes than watch someone throw one of these in a trash can

:) 

Crash (1996) and Crash (2004)

...And Paul Haggis's copycat titled film was almost as bad.  Cliches wrapped in cliches.  Every guy was an A hole.  Every woman mistreated.   The messaging was soooooo heavy-handed it was sickening.

But a critical success.  Go figure.  

Haggis makes tripe that fools people into thinking they are watching something that has deep meaning.

Orson Welles once said something to this effect "make something that spoon-feeds an audience but lets them believe they are thinking and they will love you for it.  Make something that really makes them think and they will hate you for it." 

Well, in that case, I'm a spoon-fed fool, because I really liked Crash - the Paul Haggis one, I've never seen Cronenberg's Crash. But I never thought of it as an "intellectual" film, a la Orson Welles. I did find it emotionally affecting, though, and I make no apologies for that.

Well, in that case, I'm a spoon-fed fool, because I really liked Crash - the Paul Haggis one, I've never seen Cronenberg's Crash. But I never thought of it as an "intellectual" film, a la Orson Welles. I did find it emotionally affecting, though, and I make no apologies for that.

It was hard to watch. Not because it was a poor movie, but because watching so many episodes of antagonism becomes frustrating to the viewer.

The message of the movie is - everyone feels like a victim; like they've received unfairness somewhere, and often with regularity. And they're right, of course. Everyone experiences sh!t; everyone processes it to arrive at an experiential viewpoint. Lots of anger is the product of an extremely complex societal structure. Sh!t feeds the anger; anger supplies more sh!t.

The Mexican version would be a torta, but a true torta has to have the bread smeared with a bean paste, and include avocado.

I must be losing my marbles, don't you want someone yummy to advertise your food product? Subway should have tried harder, lol.

I must be losing my marbles, don't you want someone yummy to advertise your food product? Subway should have tried harder, lol.

You'd think. The spots were memorable because of his ickiness, imo.

BTW, it's Jared Fogle, and his net worth is $15 mil. Not bad for a negative ad spokesman.

The Mexican version would be a torta, but a true torta has to have the bread smeared with a bean paste, and include avocado.

Darn, that Tor Johnson guy seems to find his way into every thread these days.

The guy was perfect for their ads because he looked like your average type of guy;  one that would go to Subway and one that could lose a few pounds (at the start).     If they used some buff good looking guy that ad wouldn't have become iconic. 

The guy was perfect for their ads because he looked like your average type of guy;  one that would go to Subway and one that could lose a few pounds (at the start).     If they used some buff good looking guy that ad wouldn't have become iconic. 

Turned out it was all a scam. The guy only ate subs, but they were extremely dietary subs and he wasn't allowed to eat very many of them.

Effective marketing, though.

BTW, it's Jared Fogle, and his net worth is $15 mil. Not bad for a negative ad spokesman.

You would have to pay me that much to eat those sandwiches 3 times a day too, lol. He probably gets ten colds and five different flu bugs a year. Maybe that is why he lost so much weight.

Mexico should also advertise weight loss for travelers, a side benefit.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I agree with you bogie. I, too, would rather stick needles in your eyes than watch a lot of these films.

Hah! Take some needles in the eyes some time and we'll see. I bet you'll be begging to watch those movies instead.

Hah! Take some needles in the eyes some time and we'll see. I bet you'll be begging to watch those movies instead.

Blazing Saddles?  Hand me those needles ...

I wonder if he was able to keep the weight off.

I don't think he's in the ads anymore.

I wonder if he was able to keep the weight off.

I don't think he's in the ads anymore.

Not sure. But I'm guessing it's in his contracts. This from 2013:

Fogle has become a mini-empire, starring in more than 300 Subway TV commercials; writing one autobiographical book and considering a second book aimed at children; emerging as a motivational speaker who pulls in $5,000 to $10,000 for personal appearances while amassing a net worth that may exceed $15 million, estimates celebritynetworth.com.