Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Rather Stick Needles in My Eyes Than Watch.....

Bogie56

Too late.

Lol, I am hard as a rock actually. No Subway sandwiches either.

If you go to their website and look up the nutritional information they are not very healthy, especially the breakfast items. Way too high in cholesterol and sodium. Cholesterol triple and sodium double in one portion.

If you only ate three low fat sandwiches a day you still get close or over on sodium, and that is without anything else. the only exception is the Veggie Delite which would make you look like a concentration camp survivor if that is all you ate.

Did they test his cholesterol level and sodium counts? If you lose muscle that is bad, you want to lose fat instead. Sodium makes the body retain water. High sodium is bad for losing weight.

If this was a movie it would be Five Star Final.

Not sure. But I'm guessing it's in his contracts. This from 2013:

Fogle has become a mini-empire, starring in more than 300 Subway TV commercials; writing one autobiographical book and considering a second book aimed at children; emerging as a motivational speaker who pulls in $5,000 to $10,000 for personal appearances while amassing a net worth that may exceed $15 million, estimates celebritynetworth.com.

I had no idea.He seemed to have zero charisma in those Subway commercials.

Every time I see this thread name, I think of that horrible scene in a 1959 horror movie (Reader Discretion Advised) where someone actually gets needles (well, spikes) in their eyes when looking through a booby-trapped pair of binoculars, yike. Can't remember the name of the movie right now, it was pointed out to me recently in another thread but I can't come up with it. No matter, I don't recommend it.

Every time I see this thread name, I think of that horrible scene in a 1959 horror movie (Reader Discretion Advised) where someone actually gets needles (well, spikes) in their eyes when looking through a booby-trapped pair of binoculars, yike. Can't remember the name of the movie right now, it was pointed out to me recently in another thread but I can't come up with it. No matter, I don't recommend it.

Dr. Phibes ?

I believe you're thinking of the '59 British movie "HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM" with the 'spiked' binoculars. 

Dang it, if you are right!

I found this though on some site about Dr. Phibes Rises Again...

"and a telephone receiver that has been equipped with a spring-loaded stiletto (not unlike the binoculars in Horror of the Black Museum come to think of it)

I also think of A CHRISTMAS STORY and the comments about "shooting your eye out" with the gun when I see this thread.

I do recommend that movie though.

I found Fred Astaire's The Belle of New York which played this morning in the early hours particularly vomit worthy.

Now I'm happy I called it a night after You Were Never Lovelier (1942).  I just WISH TCM had shown You Can't Run Away From It (1956) at 5:00 a.m.

Bogie56--Not even one good dance routine in the film?! With Astaire!!?? What a blinking waste!!!

On the subject of vomit-worthy musicals--The 1962 remake of State Fair (excepting Alice Fayes' scenes), Paint Your Wagon (1969), excepting Harve Presnells' scenes, and Lucille Balls' Mame (1974), excepting where Bea Arthur sings, all fit.

Am fighting a gigglefit--I just thought if Clint Eastwoods' singing voice were half or a full octave higher--I see CE with Bugs Bunnys voice singing I Talk to the Trees "I talk to the twees--but they don't wisten to me.               

Now I'm happy I called it a night after You Were Never Lovelier (1942).  I just WISH TCM had shown You Can't Run Away From It (1956) at 5:00 a.m.

Bogie56--Not even one good dance routine in the film?! With Astaire!!?? What a blinking waste!!!

On the subject of vomit-worthy musicals--The 1962 remake of State Fair (excepting Alice Fayes' scenes), Paint Your Wagon (1969), excepting Harve Presnells' scenes, and Lucille Balls' Mame (1974), excepting where Bea Arthur sings, all fit.

Am fighting a gigglefit--I just thought if Clint Eastwoods' singing voice were half or a full octave higher--I see CE with Bugs Bunnys voice singing I Talk to the Trees "I talk to the twees--but they don't wisten to me.               

Do you mind me asking you a question film lover?

You seem to have an extensive knowledge of film.  May I ask how old you are?

You Can't Run Away from It is a really bad movie.    First June Allyson looks like she could be Lemmon's mother and she plays the character in her typical 'not very nice' women persona.      There is no chemistry between the two (compared to Gable and Colbert who have lots of it even when they are at each other throats).

This is a remake that makes zero sense to me  (well except for why Powell,  June's husband, would wish to direct and produce the film).

Now Lemmon was very versatile,  so I could see using him in a remake to add a comic element to the character but the heiress needed to be a much younger and desirable women. 

• Like 1

You Can't Run Away from It is a really bad movie. First June Allyson looks like she could be Lemmon's mother and she plays the character in her typical 'not very nice' women persona. There is no chemistry between the two (compared to Gable and Colbert who have lot of it even when they are at each other throats).

This is a remake that makes zero sense to me (well except for why Powell, June's husband, would wish to direct and produce the film).

Now Lemmon was very versatile, so I could see using him in a remake to add a comic element to the character but the heiress needed to be a much younger and desirable women.

Totally agree.with you there. June Allyson ruined more 50s remakes of 30s classics, as well as expose her to withering comparisons to the original actresses' sparkling performances.

It seems to me that the film might have been halfway decent, and Lemmon would have had a more worthy costar, if Columbia's own Judy Holliday had done it; they had already proven their chemistry. or better yet, have William Holden reteam with Holliday.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do it out of curiosity.  I hadn't seen it since I was about ten years old.

Bedtime For Bonzo (1951) the Frederick de Cordova film - the producer of Johny Carson's Tonight Show and starring the POTUS himself, Ronald Reagan.

It was just bloody awful from start to finish.  When Reagan climbs out on the ledge of a building at the start of the film to rescue the chimp you just wish he would fall to his death and it would all end right there.

Unfortunately it doesn't end right here and what follows is just plainly badly written and badly performed gags consisting mostly of the tried variety of mistaken assumptions.

Just to torture my wife further we then watched its sequel, Bonzo Goes to College (1952).  It wasn't half as bad.  Perhaps because it was simply utterly ridiculous and didn't try to hide that fact.  Plus it had much better actors in it.  No Ronald Reagan for starters.

• Like 2

Bedtime for Bonzo (1951) is on my Don't even think about it list.

I can barely watch Monkey Business (1952).

Yes, I watched Monkey Business (1952) not long ago and once again found its 'comedic' moments mostly cringe-worthy.

But Marilyn is gorgeous to look at in this one.

• Like 1

Yes, I watched Monkey Business (1952) not long ago and once again found its 'comedic' moments mostly cringe-worthy.

But Marilyn is gorgeous to look at in this one.

Marilyn's youthful enthusiasm is the best thing about MONKEY BUSINESS, outshining the likes of Cary Grant and Charles Coburn in this rather strained comedy.

June Allyson, may she rest in peace.  Just not my cup of tea, alas. 

If she's a cup of tea, gimme sludge. I may put some castor oil to make it taste better.

But yes rest in peace. Miss A died in 2006 at the age of 89. Buh-by!

Marilyn's youthful enthusiasm is the best thing about MONKEY BUSINESS, outshining the likes of Cary Grant and Charles Coburn in this rather strained comedy.

Marilyn just looking like Marilyn helps a lot too.

I agree with you.   As much as I love Grant,  I'm not much of a fan of this film.   There are only a few 40s and 50s films with Ginger Rogers that I enjoy but I do love her 30s film.   Something changed with her and there just isn't the same magic (and it isn't just that she aged).