Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

House of Wax Edited

ghartner

I watched "House of Wax" today (4/23/15) and based on other times that I have seen it, I believe that TCM edited some scenes out of the last few minutes when Vincent Price has Phyllis Kirk (Sue Allen) tied up and ready to cover her in wax.

I watched "House of Wax" today (4/23/15) and based on other times that I have seen it, I believe that TCM edited some scenes out of the last few minutes when Vincent Price has Phyllis Kirk (Sue Allen) tied up and ready to cover her in wax.

Note that TCM does not edit out scenes.   Instead they lease movies and the movies they lease may be edited version (i.e. versions different than the so called 'original' version).   Also note that some movies have multiple 'original' versions.   e.g.  there are US releases verses European releases,   pre-code films that were re-released after the production code came into effect,  so called 'director cuts',    version for various parts of the USA (e.g. versions for the South that were different than what was shown in other parts of the USA),  etc.... 

Note that TCM does not edit out scenes.   Instead they lease movies and the movies they lease may be edited version (i.e. versions different than the so called 'original' version).   Also note that some movies have multiple 'original' versions.   e.g.  there are US releases verses European releases,   pre-code films that were re-released after the production code came into effect,  so called 'director cuts',    version for various parts of the USA (e.g. versions for the South that were different than what was shown in other parts of the USA),  etc.... 

yes, but shouldn't tcm have enough sense to be aware that they've gotten a hold of an edited print and upon realizing this choose not to show it? suppose they aired a heavily dubbed print of dog day afternoon and nobody watched it. :)

if tcm does not edit films for a reason (uh...artistic integrity?) then why would they air a chopped up print for no reason other than laziness?

Maybe TCM just doesn't have the time to check every single movie they air.  I mean, is it not possible -- since TCM has aired 'HOUSE OF WAX' before -- The Powers That Be might reasonably assume it's the same version airing this time that they showed before and not give possible c/u/t/s  a second thought?    

ALSO:  Just for you, NipkowDisc, I'm going to take the pruning shears to my KVC tape of 'HOT SPELL' and edit it down to 70 minutes!  You Betcha!  (P.S.  I can see Russia from my backdoor in Georgia, too!!!  Nyah!  Nyah!)  ;)

Maybe TCM just doesn't have the time to check every single movie they air.  I mean, is it not possible -- since TCM has aired 'HOUSE OF WAX' before -- The Powers That Be might reasonably assume it's the same version airing this time that they showed before and not give possible c/u/t/s  a second thought?    

ALSO:  Just for you, NipkowDisc, I'm going to take the pruning shears to my KVC tape of 'HOT SPELL' and edit it down to 70 minutes!  You Betcha!  (P.S.  I can see Russia from my backdoor in Georgia, too!!!  Nyah!  Nyah!)  ;)

LOL!!!

This has been happening too often lately.

If TCM can't afford to try harder to make sure the print it's showing is an unedited one, it should at least stop claiming that its movies are shown uncut along with being commercial-free.

I'm assuming that what the OP said is true. Having not watched the latest showing of 'House of Wax', I cannot be sure. Nevertheless, I am sure that cut prints do get shown by TCM - even if it isn't TCM that does the cutting.

So if TCM does absolutely no cutting/editing to the movie print that they get and then  broadcast , and assuming that they try to get the best possible print available (best quality and most complete version), why should anyone have a beef with TCM?  If TCM really wants to show a certain film, should they settle for "best available"  or just decide to not obtain the film at all?  These are the questions the viewer has to answer.

So if TCM does absolutely no cutting/editing to the movie print that they get and then  broadcast , and assuming that they try to get the best possible print available (best quality and most complete version), why should anyone have a beef with TCM?  If TCM really wants to show a certain film, should they settle for "best available"  or just decide to not obtain the film at all?  These are the questions the viewer has to answer.

Don't obtain the film at all.

Show the real thing or don't show it at all. When one advertises to show films uncut, that kind of integrity should be a given.

Don't obtain the film at all.

Show the real thing or don't show it at all. When one advertises to show films uncut, that kind of integrity should be a given.

that be exactly what I was tryin' to say. if ya can't show it right then don't show it at all. :)

that be exactly what I was tryin' to say. if ya can't show it right then don't show it at all. :)

THEN they run the risk of your p i s s ing and moaning about the quality of the PRINT!  ;)

The name of the channel being "TURNER classic movies", and NOT "NipkowDisc classic movies"!  B)

Sepiatone

They edited it so nobody would get scared, lol.

Well, just as long as they didn't cut THIS scene, you know, the one obviously inserted solely for the overt display of rudimentary 1950's version of 3-D theater presentations(and where the guy with the paddleball is the ONLY character in the ENTIRE movie to break the 'fourth wall'), then I suppose we're okay...

;)

I have a breathtakingly beautiful 3D print (also 2D) at my house, on Blu-ray.  It is complete.  There is simply no reason to show an edited version of this film. However, I would like the OP to state exactly what was edited.  I find it hard to believe an edited version was shown; but, as I said, I have it in incredible 3D (still the best 3D film ever made, imo), so I would never watch a flat showing of it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings