Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

kung fu

NipkowDisc

watching the kung fu series binge on decades I am reminded of just how truly a remarkable tv series it was. david carradine mostly played villains and baddies but his three years as kwai chang caine in the early seventies well makes up for it. every episode features exceptional acting by carradine and what a sad and melancholy yet poignant music theme by jim helms. my father never a big tv watcher except for football hardly ever missed a weekly thursday nite episode of kung fu on abc and neither did I.

2vs0unt.jpg

watching the kung fu series binge on decades I am reminded of just how truly a remarkable tv series it was. david carradine mostly played villains and baddies but his three years as kwai chang caine in the early seventies well makes up for it. every episode features exceptional acting by carradine and what a sad and melancholy yet poignant music theme by jim helms. my father never a big tv watcher except for football hardly ever missed a weekly thursday nite episode of kung fu on abc and neither did I.

I believe this is the first post of yours where I agree 100% with what you're saying.   Hey, better late than never!

I have been on a binge watching Kung Fu.   I was really into this series as a teen.

Huh?

I've only seen this listed on the schedule of a channel called "H&I"( Heroes and Icons).  But too, have been catching every episode I can.  LOVED it in the '70's and rarely missed it.  No binge in my area, sad to say...The last DECADES binge was "Journey To The Bottom Of The Sea".

I used to joke however, that I TOO, can do all of the KUNG FU moves Carradine does in the show, learning them from watching the show.  But, like Carradine also did on the show..I TOO, do them all in "slow motion", and STILL got my a s s kicked!  :lol:

Sepiatone

Huh?

I've only seen this listed on the schedule of a channel called "H&I"( Heroes and Icons).  But too, have been catching every episode I can.  LOVED it in the '70's and rarely missed it.  No binge in my area, sad to say...The last DECADES binge was "Journey To The Bottom Of The Sea".

I used to joke however, that I TOO, can do all of the KUNG FU moves Carradine does in the show, learning them from watching the show.  But, like Carradine also did on the show..I TOO, do them all in "slow motion", and STILL got my a s s kicked!  :lol:

Sepiatone

So you have DECADES but the station you're getting in your area isn't showing only Kung Fu?   i.e. NO Kung Fu binge?

Note that before Kung Fu the DECADES station in my area (So Cal),  had a binge of The Man from Uncle (i.e. every episode from start to end).     Now they are onto Kung Fu.       

They call this a countdown,  but I don't know what that means.  I assume it means that first they will have a binge of all the series they have leased and than move onto  standard type of programming schedule with these same series after their binge is over.

So you have DECADES but the station you're getting in your area isn't showing only Kung Fu?   i.e. NO Kung Fu binge?

Note that before Kung Fu the DECADES station in my area (So Cal),  had a binge of The Man from Uncle (i.e. every episode from start to end).     Now they are onto Kung Fu.       

They call this a countdown,  but I don't know what that means.  I assume it means that first they will have a binge of all the series they have leased and than move onto  standard type of programming schedule with these same series after their binge is over.

that's right. I passed on uncle because the only thing I like there is the jerry goldsmith theme music. now I am enjoying kung fu. episode "the demon god" has supernatural elements. :)

I am watching it right now as well on Decades; been watching off and on since Wednesday night.  It was such a wonderful show and it was a treat to see David acting with his dad and several of his brothers ( Robert, Bruce, & Keith ).    The Carradines have always been such a close family.  I've always enjoyed watching them work together. 

The first season of the series was particularly good. The original 90-minute opening episode was one of the finest pieces of television I'd seen up to that time - and for many years after.

What a workload for Carradine. He was in practically every scene of every episode (excepting the flashback childhood ones). No wonder he tired out.

"David Carradine is as good a martial artist as I am an actor" -- Chuck Norris

So, passable - not great.

That's not bad praise coming from someone as skilled as Norris.

Norris has said that Steve McQueen was a very good student - and very tough. McQueen refused to accept any belt because he feared legal consequences in the event that he ever used his skills in real life, but Norris has said he'd personally rank McQueen as a 3rd degree black.

Well, as the KIDS say these days.....

MY BAD!

I think because Decades is all NEW to my service, and I saw some OTHER show being "binged", I just ignored the schedule.  But, I notied last night, there WAS a "Kung Fu" "binge" ( WHY not just say "marathon"?).  So, I apologize.

I'm ALSO wondering why they, on the station, often say  "COUNTDOWN" to Decades"?  Countdown to WHAT?

Reminds me of what some radio stations would pull before they fully launched as some kind of gimmick.  There was a LOT of that in the '80's!

And, since Kwai Chang WAS running from "the law", a friend of mine used to quip that the show SHOULD be called---"Kung Fu-gitive!"  :lol:

Sepiatone

Well, as the KIDS say these days.....

MY BAD!

I think because Decades is all NEW to my service, and I saw some OTHER show being "binged", I just ignored the schedule.  But, I notied last night, there WAS a "Kung Fu" "binge" ( WHY not just say "marathon"?).  So, I apologize.

I'm ALSO wondering why they, on the station, often say  "COUNTDOWN" to Decades"?  Countdown to WHAT?

Reminds me of what some radio stations would pull before they fully launched as some kind of gimmick.  There was a LOT of that in the '80's!

And, since Kwai Chang WAS running from "the law", a friend of mine used to quip that the show SHOULD be called---"Kung Fu-gitive!"  :lol:

Sepiatone

Binge is a phrase borrowed from Netflix where all ten episodes of a series are released at once. And you sit all day and watch all ten consecutively. I call it a marathon but, I guess when  you choose to watch them like that its a binge. As opposed to the station doing it.

A comic strip I like to read, called "GRAND AVENUE" had the following:

The premise is two kids being raised by their Grandmother for some reason I don't know.

In one recent strip, Grandma is seen walking through the house with an armload of junk food.  One of the kids asks, "What's with all the SNACKS, Grandma?"

Grandma answers, "I'm getting ready for a MARATHON."

The kid is beside himself.  "You shouldn't be eating THAT junk, then.  You should be eating FRUITS and VEGETABLES, and maybe some NUTS for protien, if you're going to run a marathon!"

"Grandma answers, "Who said anything about RUNNING?"  and on the TV are the words, :  "Tonight, the HARRISON FORD movie marathon!"  :D

Sepiatone

Binge is a phrase borrowed from Netflix where all ten episodes of a series are released at once. And you sit all day and watch all ten consecutively. I call it a marathon but, I guess when  you choose to watch them like that its a binge. As opposed to the station doing it.

Yes,  we all know what a binge is.   Instead we were wondering what this 'countdown' was all about.   Countdown to what???

I assume that Decades means that this countdown is a countdown to the END of binge programming.    But I'm just guessing.

Think about how much better Kung Fu would have been if Bruce Lee had been allowed to play the role.

Not sure what you mean by 'allowed to play the role'.    The producer made a choice and they decided to go with a better known actor from a known Hollywood acting family.  In the early 70s Lee wasn't yet a household name in the USA.    Lee was considered for the part but he didn't get it.   But I would say he wasn't chosen for the role instead of 'allowed'.

Yea, the producer went with a non Asian lead but that choice was done for marketing purposes.

Not.

Wiki mentions the difference in build between the two actors.   To me the thin build fits the character more so than the muscular build of an actor like Bruce Lee.    With someone with a build like Lee the audience would have expected him to kick butt 24 \ 7 and some of the tension would have been lost.

" In the early 70s Lee wasn't yet a household name in the USA".   

Many of us still remembered him from "The Green Hornet".

But yeah, Carradine WAS the better actor.  And, I'm not sure HOW much his "family" had to do with anything.

Sepiatone

" In the early 70s Lee wasn't yet a household name in the USA".   

Many of us still remembered him from "The Green Hornet".

But yeah, Carradine WAS the better actor.  And, I'm not sure HOW much his "family" had to do with anything.

Sepiatone

Back in the early 70s I also remembered Bruce Lee from The Green Hornet but that doesn't change my point that Lee wasn't a household name in the USA at that time.    As for Carradine's family;   typically being from a family of actors and having a father being a fairly well known actor can only help with producers during an audition.    So to me this had something to do with the hire.  How much I don't know,  but again typically it can only help.