Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

May 2015 on TCM Canada

Barton_Keyes

The following list contains all of the feature film substitutions for TCM Canada in the month of May, 2015:

On May 7 at 3:45PM, TASK FORCE (1949) replaces THE FOUNTAINHEAD (1949).

On May 11 at 11:30PM, CRIME IN THE STREETS (1956) replaces HELL’S ANGELS ON WHEELS (1967).

On May 12 at 3:15AM, A LETTER FOR EVIE (1945) replaces I’LL BE SEEING YOU (1944).

On May 15 at 3:00PM, THE SEA GULL (1968) replaces LOLITA (1961).

On May 15 at 12:00AM, CITIZEN KANE (1941) replaces MACBETH (1948).

On May 17 at 12:15AM, THE SCARLET LETTER (1926) replaces DOUBLE WHOOPEE (1929), BIG BUSINESS (1929), YOU’RE DARN TOOTIN’ (1929) and DO DETECTIVES THINK? (1927).

On May 18 at 5:45PM, WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951) replaces ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944).

On May 24 at 3:00AM, FAMILY DIARY (1962) replaces GRAND ILLUSION (1937).

On May 29 at 8:00PM, THE TARTARS (1961) replaces THE THIRD MAN (1949).

On May 31 at 6:00AM, THE ANGEL WORE RED (1960) replaces BUTTERFIELD 8 (1960).

On May 31 at 8:00AM, BALALAIKA (1939) replaces BRIGADOON (1954).

• Like 1

Surprised Canadians do not get BRIGADOON, since it's an MGM (non Hal Roach) picture.

Barton (or anyone), have you noticed if they make the same substitutions each time?

For example, is A LETTER TO EVIE always used in place of I'LL BE SEEING YOU?

Surprised Canadians do not get BRIGADOON, since it's an MGM (non Hal Roach) picture.

Barton (or anyone), have you noticed if they make the same substitutions each time?

For example, is A LETTER TO EVIE always used in place of I'LL BE SEEING YOU?

Typically, the substitutions are not the same from one of a film to the next. For example, when THE THIRD MAN aired last weekend it was replaced in Canada by MURDER, MY SWEET (1944). But when THE THIRD MAN airs on May 29, it will be replaced by THE TARTARS (1961) -- which is thematically linked to the rest of that evening's programming by virtue of it being an Orson Welles film.

So it seems that the programmers try to make some connection between the films on the American schedule and the substitutions for Canadian viewers. To use your own example, when I'LL BE SEEING YOU airs in July for Shirley Temple's SOTM tribute, another Temple movie, THE STORY OF SEABISCUIT (1949), will air in its place in Canada.

There is an issue with the Canadian rights to Hal Roach productions, as you indicated, as well as with Selznick International Pictures -- the only Selznick films which are typically not replaced by TCM in Canada are THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, NOTHING SACRED and GONE WITH THE WIND.

Then there are some outliers -- films that are never aired in Canada for seemingly inexplicable reasons. FOLLOW THE FLEET, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, BRIGADOON and LOLITA are good examples examples of this; they are usually/always replaced in Canada despite being in the Turner library.

Typically, the substitutions are not the same from one of a film to the next. For example, when THE THIRD MAN aired last weekend it was replaced in Canada by MURDER, MY SWEET (1944). But when THE THIRD MAN airs on May 29, it will be replaced by THE TARTARS (1961) -- which is thematically linked to the rest of that evening's programming by virtue of it being an Orson Welles film.

So it seems that the programmers try to make some connection between the films on the American schedule and the substitutions for Canadian viewers. To use your own example, when I'LL BE SEEING YOU airs in July for Shirley Temple's SOTM tribute, another Temple movie, THE STORY OF SEABISCUIT (1949), will air in its place in Canada.

There is an issue with the Canadian rights to Hal Roach productions, as you indicated, as well as with Selznick International Pictures -- the only Selznick films which are typically not replaced by TCM in Canada are THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, NOTHING SACRED and GONE WITH THE WIND.

Then there are some outliers -- films that are never aired in Canada for seemingly inexplicable reasons. FOLLOW THE FLEET, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, BRIGADOON and LOLITA are good examples examples of this; they are usually/always replaced in Canada despite being in the Turner library.

Thanks for the great detailed reply! I think NOTHING SACRED is in the public domain. 

Are we to assume that Canadians will see THE STORY OF SEA-BISCUIT twice in July...since it has a regularly scheduled slot already...?

Thanks for the great detailed reply! I think NOTHING SACRED is in the public domain. 

Are we to assume that Canadians will see THE STORY OF SEA-BISCUIT twice in July...since it has a regularly scheduled slot already...?

That's correct. Canadians can see THE STORY OF SEABISCUIT on July 20 and then again on July 27. That sort of thing happens fairly regularly. Next month, Canadians will have two chances to see CITIZEN KANE as part of the spotlight on Orson Welles.

Last August, there were some complaints on the boards about excessive repetition in Canada on Faye Dunaway's SUTS day -- if I remember correctly during that one twenty-four hour period, Canadians got to see both THE ARRANGEMENT (1969) and THE CHAMP (1979) twice, while CHINATOWN (1974) and THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (1975) were not aired.

That's correct. Canadians can see THE STORY OF SEABISCUIT on July 20 and then again on July 27. That sort of thing happens fairly regularly. Next month, Canadians will have two chances to see CITIZEN KANE as part of the spotlight on Orson Welles.

Last August, there were some complaints on the boards about excessive repetition in Canada on Faye Dunaway's SUTS day -- if I remember correctly during that one twenty-four hour period, Canadians got to see both THE ARRANGEMENT (1969) and THE CHAMP (1979) twice, while CHINATOWN (1974) and THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (1975) were not aired.

Small correction, Barton. Three Days of the Condor was aired in Canada during Redford month. I know because I recorded it.

I was frustrated yesterday that the 1929 Rio Rita (which I've never seen) did not make it onto Canadian airwaves, replaced by Big Parade of Comedy. Would you know if that film ever has been shown in Canada on TCM? As you know, some films that are not broadcast in Canada by TCM later do make it here on a repeat broadcast in the States.

The fact that the Hal Roach library can't be shown in Canada is an on going source of frustration to me. I love those Roach comedy shorts with the likes of Charley Chase or Thelma Todd, among others. I'm really sorry they don't make it in this country, though, once in a blue moon, I will see one sneak on Canadian air waves, wondering if it was a slip up.

Small correction, Barton. Three Days of the Condor was aired in Canada during Redford month. I know because I recorded it.

I was frustrated yesterday that the 1929 Rio Rita (which I've never seen) did not make it onto Canadian airwaves, replaced by Big Parade of Comedy. Would you know if that film ever has been shown in Canada on TCM? As you know, some films that are not broadcast in Canada by TCM later do make it here on a repeat broadcast in the States.

The fact that the Hal Roach library can't be shown in Canada is an on going source of frustration to me. I love those Roach comedy shorts with the likes of Charley Chase or Thelma Todd, among others. I'm really sorry they don't make it in this country, though, once in a blue moon, I will see one sneak on Canadian air waves, wondering if it was a slip up.

I don't know if the 1929 RIO RITA has ever aired on TCM in Canada. It is true TCM is able to sort out the rights issues with some films as time goes by. ROMAN HOLIDAY was replaced during Audrey Hepburn's SUTS day last August, but the film made it to the airwaves in Canada in January of this year and we've seen the film on each of its airings in the States since then. So there's always hope. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings