Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What, no movies honoring Anzac Day?

Swithin

In the spirit of those who complain when there are no movies, or not enough movies, commemorating a particular holiday, I want to express my disappointment that TCM is not showing any movies honouring Anzac Day, which is today, April 25. Gallipoli would have been perfect. April 25 marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the Gallipoli campaign in World War I.

Anzac Day honors Australian and New Zealand soldiers who "served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served."

Here's the trailer for Peter Weir's 1981 film, Gallipoli. (Wish I could share with you the film's use of Bizet's duet from The Pearl Fishers, which is used so brilliantly in the film.)

Trust the BFI in London to have several films marking the occasion on their calendar.  Along with Peter Weir's Gallipoli we have Tell England (1931) directed by Anthony Asquith and Geoffrey Banks.  The later film I had never heard of before and look forward to seeing.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=4408E2BB-910A-4581-AF0F-4A110CD8000C&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=FBB35902-1FAF-401E-995A-065F977A043B

I watched BENEATH HILL 60 a few days ago on Amazon.  This was about Aussie troops on the Western Front digging long shafts under the German lines for huge explosive mines.  It moved between idealistic and peaceful Australia and the hell of the trenches.  This would have been a good movie to show on Anzac Day.  

Well, if it can be proved that in Australia they show movies on MEMORIAL DAY that honors AMERICAN soldiers, then I guess you've got a point!  ;)

Otherwise, I don't SEE a point!

Sepiatone

They probably show Pearl Harbor movies on the day.   It wasn't just another year for them.  100 years since Gallipoli.

They probably show Pearl Harbor movies on the day.   It wasn't just another year for them.  100 years since Gallipoli.

Tribute's are a marketing technique.   I assume the odds that movies related to Anzac Day would attract enough viewers to justify such a tribute are low since I assume that vast majority of the American viewing public knows little to nothing about the associated historical events.

You say 'for them'.   Well 'them' does NOT include most of the American viewing public.  Therefore,  no tribute.   It really is that simple.

America is a much more inclusive and diverse society than Australia and New Zealand. I have several Australian friends, who live in New York and have become permanent citizens. I don't think there are as many Americans who relocate to Australia and New Zealand. 

I don't see it as a quick pro quo; rather our usual American appreciation of other cultures (well, where I live, anyway).

America is a much more inclusive and diverse society than Australia and New Zealand. I have several Australian friends, who live in New York and have become permanent citizens. I don't think there are as many Americans who relocate to Australia and New Zealand. 

I don't see it as a quick pro quo; rather our usual American appreciation of other cultures (well, where I live, anyway).

Many Americans who relocated to Australia (like Mel Gibson's family) did so to get away from wars and the draft.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings