Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Screenwriter Don Mankiewicz has died

Barton_Keyes

Don Mankiewicz, who earned an Oscar nomination for his 1958 screenplay of I WANT TO LIVE!, has died. He was 93. Mankiwicz also created the very popular TV series IRONSIDE and MARCUS WELBY, M.D.

Don Mankiwicz was the son of CITIZEN KANE screenwriter Herman, and the uncle of TCM host Ben Mankiewicz.

A full obituary may be found here: http://variety.com/2015/film/people-news/don-mankiewicz-dead-dies-screenwriter-star-trek-episode-1201480542/

I'm familiar with most of the Mankiewicz family, but not him.

Now here is a thought all you avid TCM fans...why not lobby for a special on the Mankiewicz family hosted by Ben.  When you think of the family members from ONE family who were so influential in films and now (unbeknownst to me) television how utterly compelling would it be to examine both the family, the individuals in it and their lives as well as the results of their creativity. Their creativity was influencial in at least 7 if not 8 decades of the entertainment industry. 

There was Joe, Herman, Tom and Dan (with Ben supporting the industry).  I read the biography of Tom Mankiewicz and it was fascinating to say the least. 

• Like 1

Now here is a thought all you avid TCM fans...why not lobby for a special on the Mankiewicz family hosted by Ben.  When you think of the family members from ONE family who were so influential in films and now (unbeknownst to me) television how utterly compelling would it be to examine both the family, the individuals in it and their lives as well as the results of their creativity. Their creativity was influencial in at least 7 if not 8 decades of the entertainment industry. 

There was Joe, Herman, Tom and Dan (with Ben supporting the industry).  I read the biography of Tom Mankiewicz and it was fascinating to say the least. 

Then there's Francis Mankiewicz (1944-1993) the Quebecois director who did the celebrated Les Bons Debarras (1979).  I've put that movie forward a few times in the Suggest a Movie list.

His imdb bio refers to him as a 'distant' relative to Herman and Joseph.  I have no idea if Ben even knows Francis was out there?

Great idea.   I hope TCM does this.

How about presidential assistant Frank Mankiewicz?

How about presidential assistant Frank Mankiewicz?

Well if we just have to...but I would like to keep politics out of it, unless Ben focuses on the relationship between Frank and the rest.  He is an outlier to the creative group...unless you want to include politics in the idea of creativity. 

Well if we just have to...but I would like to keep politics out of it, unless Ben focuses on the relationship between Frank and the rest.  He is an outlier to the creative group...unless you want to include politics in the idea of creativity. 

Politicians create lies all the time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings