Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Jayne Meadows has died

Barton_Keyes

Actress Jayne Meadows, the widow of legendary broadcaster Steve Allen, has died at the age of 95. She was also the elder sister of Audrey Meadows, primarily known as Jackie Gleason's wife on THE HONEYMOONERS.

Jayne Meadows was under contract to MGM in the mid to late '40s, during which time she had supporting parts in the films UNDERCURRENT, LADY IN THE LAKE, and SONG OF THE THIN MAN.

She would go on to become a fixture of episodic television with dozens of appearances on series as diverse as THE RED SKELTON SHOW, HAWAII FIVE-O, TRAPPER JOHN, M.D., MURDER, SHE WROTE and DIAGNOSIS MURDER.

Meadows eventually enjoyed late career success on the big screen in a small part as Billy Crystal's mother in the 1991 comedy CITY SLICKERS and its 1994 sequel.

A full obituary is available here: http://deadline.com/2015/04/jayne-meadows-allen-dies-steve-allen-wife-ive-got-a-secret-1201416973/

Actress Jayne Meadows, the widow of legendary broadcaster Steve Allen, has died at the age of 95. She was also the elder sister of Audrey Meadows, primarily known as Jackie Gleason's wife on THE HONEYMOONERS.

Jayne Meadows was under contract to MGM in the mid to late '40s, during which time she had supporting parts in the films UNDERCURRENT, LADY IN THE LAKE, and SONG OF THE THIN MAN.

She would go on to become a fixture of episodic television with dozens of appearances on series as diverse as THE RED SKELTON SHOW, HAWAII FIVE-O, TRAPPER JOHN, M.D., MURDER, SHE WROTE and DIAGNOSIS MURDER.

Meadows eventually enjoyed late career success on the big screen in a small part as Billy Crystal's mother in the 1991 comedy CITY SLICKERS and its 1994 sequel.

A full obituary is available here: http://deadline.com/2015/04/jayne-meadows-allen-dies-steve-allen-wife-ive-got-a-secret-1201416973/

Wasn't she mostly known as a game show panelist?

Wasn't she mostly known as a game show panelist?

Perhaps. But she was versatile like her husband. She also was a writer, public speaker and actress. Here's a clip from the 1985 star-studded, made-for-television version of "Alice in Wonderland" in which she played the Queen of Hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9oKiQ63SzA

But there's no denying that she was a frequent celebrity presence on game shows. Check out this classic episode of "What's My Line," in which Meadows was the mystery guest while her husband was on the panel. It aired on CBS on August 1, 1954, one day after her marriage to Allen. The good stuff begins at the 16:04 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6w7DLc16UY

Like Edie Adams did for Ernie Kovacks, Jayne took on the role of stepmother to Steve's children after he got custody of them.  They were also strong advocates for clean family television programing and seemed to live that lifestyle off camera.  They proved that you didn't need scandals to be in the public eye.  RIP, Dear Lady, I truly hope Steve and you are together again.  

• Like 3

I was so sad to read of Jayne's death.  She was a great lady and a wonderful spouse for Steve Allen.  I remember her from her TV days and would watch her on "What's My Line" a great show.  Anyway it isn't always true that the good die young...she lived a long and just life. 

• Like 1

Her and hubby STEVE ALLEN starred in COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL together, I think the only film time they worked together, but I'm not sure.  Not a bad little film, either.  Has TCM ever shown it?  I supose NOW, they'll get to it.

Anyway, I always liked both her AND sister Audrey.

Sepiatone

Her and hubby STEVE ALLEN starred in COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL together, I think the only film time they worked together, but I'm not sure.  Not a bad little film, either.  Has TCM ever shown it?  I supose NOW, they'll get to it.

Anyway, I always liked both her AND sister Audrey.

Sepiatone

You didn't see my earlier post in the thread-- for three episodes they guest-starred on St. Elsewhere, playing the long-lost parents of Ed Begley Jr.'s character. They were a hoot. Dr. Ehrlich (Begley's role) was always a bit strange, and in a way only St. Elsewhere's writers could do it, it was amusingly implied that Jayne and Steve had visited from another planet, which would suggest Ehrlich was an alien. Miss the days of classic late 80s television.

When they were young and the whole world was spread before them . . .

6c34e8a3-926e-4ce3-ab80-d0c27f40d119_zps

Steve Allen was a remarkable fast wit and television innovator, and Jayne Meadows was a talented actress and TV personality. As evidenced in this photograph, she was also one sharp looking lady.

Steve Allen was a remarkable fast wit and television innovator, and Jayne Meadows was a talented actress and TV personality. As evidenced in this photograph, she was also one sharp looking lady.

especially in THIS particular photo.

Last night the second most popular item trending on Yahoo was Audrey Meadows. She died in 1996. When i clicked on the link, it went to news articles about Jayne's death. So I have a feeling people confused the two, and when they heard Jayne Meadows died, they thought it meant Audrey Meadows died and were searching for information about her.

It doesn't have anything to do with Jayne Meadows, but this clip from the Steve Allen Show features Ann Sothern, Dinah Shore, Steve Lawrence, Eydie Gorme, and Ol' Mr. Blue Eyes.    An all-star cast if ever there was one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pU6l4PEJw

Sister Audrey was quite an attractive, and obviously talented, lady as well.  The two definitely looked like sisters.  I remember the story about Audrey auditioning for the part of Alice Kramden and how she had to dress down her appearance or she would not have gotten the part.

Sister Audrey was quite an attractive, and obviously talented, lady as well.  The two definitely looked like sisters.  I remember the story about Audrey auditioning for the part of Alice Kramden and how she had to dress down her appearance or she would not have gotten the part.

I think Jayne lived about 20 years longer than Audrey and was also the elder sister.

I had recently wondered if she was still living so here is my answer. I met Steve once back in the 80's when I worked the front desk of a major NYC hotel. He was incredibly rude and nasty and condescending. I had only been working there a short time and when I mentioned him I was told that he had been coming for many years and he was always that way!

Turned me off to him right there. Not sad when he died.

Jayne? No encounters so I do hope her last years were good.  

I had recently wondered if she was still living so here is my answer. I met Steve once back in the 80's when I worked the front desk of a major NYC hotel. He was incredibly rude and nasty and condescending. I had only been working there a short time and when I mentioned him I was told that he had been coming for many years and he was always that way!

Turned me off to him right there. Not sad when he died.

Jayne? No encounters so I do hope her last years were good.  

Sorry to hear that. I hate rudeness when dealing with service people.

I went to a booksigning with Steve Allen in L.A., and he couldn't have been nicer.

Well, it wouldnt be wise being peevish if he wanted to sell some of his books........

• Like 1