Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you need a specific type of environment to watch a specific type of film?

speedracer5

This thread was inspired by something I was thinking when responding to the "Summer of Darkness" thread in the Friday Night Spotlight board. 

I was saying that the summertime, especially summer nights in particular, sets the perfect ambiance for a gritty noir.  The darkness, combined with warm breezy air puts me in the right mood for a noir.  For whatever reason, Saturday mornings with bright sunshine does not put me into the mood to watch a dark film.  If I don't want a to watch a noir on a warm summer night, for whatever reason, I also like to watch steamy melodramas or something along that vein.  Something with intense moods seems to be the right film for me during the summer nights. 

Really Late nights (like 10pm-later) (probably Friday night or Saturday night, not a "work night" lol) is the right time for me to watch cult classics like Barbarella, The Stepford Wives (1975) or Roller Boogie, really cheesy horror movies (Nightmare on Elm Street or the earlier Friday the 13ths) or the really cheesy sci-fi movies (like The Brain That Wouldn't Die).  Other times of the day just don't seem "right" for these films.

I like to reserve mornings and afternoons for happier things like musicals or light comedies.  Sometimes though, if I've had a particularly trying day at work, musicals and light comedies can be just the thing to watch in the evening. 

Evenings are for the dramas.  These will precede my corny sci-fi, bad horror or cult movie fest of the late late night.

Days with horrible weather (snow, pouring so much rain that driving is dangerous, etc.) I like to save for those really long movies that I've always wanted to see, like Gone With the Wind, Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra, things like that. 

How about you? Do certain types of environments put you into the mood to watch a certain type of film?

I prefer watching Westerns from a barstool in the Silver Dollar Saloon.

LOL

So DGF, do ya ever remove your Stetson or always keep it on your head while doing this, pardner??? ;)

(...I assume back east there they make you check your six-shooter at the door, right?!) 

It is for me less a matter of environment and more one of my mood.

It might seem by time of day and weather that this would be time to watch: How to Steal a Million (1966) or: The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) which are two of my most favorite movies. I am instead dithering between: The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) or episodes of the first season of: Gansuringaa Gaaru (2003).

Absolutely. I am too hyped during the day to settle down and enjoy a really good classic film. You know, the ones with actual plots you have to pay attention to.   ;)   

• Noirs at night
  • Musicals anytime but especially on the weekends
  • Epics on sundays
  • Hot summer days are perfect for those steamy, humid, southern dramas, westerns and desert films 
  •  

As long as the fridge is within arms' reach, I'm good to go.

This ^^^^^^^^...................................I can watch any kind of movie at any time of day or season.  Sometimes the type of novel or history I am currently reading makes me long to watch a movie similar in nature.

I agree, noirs are for night time- -early evening or late night, just definitely not mornings.

I've noticed that TCM is fond of scheduling noirs on Saturday mornings. I don't know why this should be; it's almost jarring to watch a moody dark black and white film noir in the morning, especially one of those blastingly sunny ones.

Sunshine and film noir don't mix.

(Having said that, there are a number of "later" as in early 60s, noirs from Columbia that are shot in broad daylight, often even in full sun. Despite this aberration, a lot of them are pretty good.

But I'm not talking about the weather conditions or time of day of the movie....I'm talking about the kind of conditions in which I like to watch a noir.)

Spooky and eerie films, including of course horrors and ghost stories, naturally are most effectively watched at night, preferably a dark and stormy one.

Sunday afternoons....musicals or Westerns, maybe.

Back to sunny weather - I just realized I don't much get into watching a film of any kind if the day is sunny. It seems kind of decadent, somehow.

(By the way, I know most people reading this will think I'm really weird, but I don't really like sunny days, Not full bright sun in a cloudless sky, anyway. It seems kind of harsh, somehow. I don't mind sunny days if the sunshine is alleviated a bit with clouds. I like clouds. But I digress...)

Well, call it "conditioning" if you must, BUT for some reason I can ONLY watch classic Warner Brothers cartoons on Saturday mornings! ;)

(...Pavlov's Dog, eat your heart out, wherever you are!) 

• Like 5

@MissW:

Perhaps, it might be...

TCM schedules noirs on Saturday mornings and afternoons due to in the past, and in thinking most TCM viewers would(or might) be of "middle aged baby boomer" age, and watching classic movies is more nostalgia than "art appreciation",  well, in days gone long by, Saturday afternoon "matinees" on TV were largely when these old noirs were shown.

At least, that's when I mostly remember first seeing them!

Sepiatone

There's a few movies in particular I'll only watch at night; it's just no fun for me to watch these movies anytime during the day or even early evening.  Gotta be LATE!    

Salem's Lot (1979-Tvm)

Fog, The (1980)

Friday the 13th (1980)

Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

@MissW:

Perhaps, it might be...

TCM schedules noirs on Saturday mornings and afternoons due to in the past, and in thinking most TCM viewers would(or might) be of "middle aged baby boomer" age, and watching classic movies is more nostalgia than "art appreciation",  well, in days gone long by, Saturday afternoon "matinees" on TV were largely when these old noirs were shown.

At least, that's when I mostly remember first seeing them!

Sorry, Sepiatone, I'm having trouble following you here. In fact, I can't figure out what you're saying at all.

Are you saying that film noir, more than all the other types of movies TCM shows, appeals more to "older" people than other film genres?That it generates more nostalgia for viewers? And even if that were so (and I don't think it is), was that kind of movie aired on television in the past more than other types of films? Really?

I don't want to come across as argumentative or dismissive, and I appreciate your taking the time to try and explain why TCM would air a film noir on a Saturday morning, but your theory doesn't really "work" for me.

I like to watch silent films with as little distraction as possible.  I guess that would seem obvious with the level of concentration that's needed to focus on the plot of a silent, but when I'm in a calm, relaxed state with no plans ahead, a silent is great to watch.  The spookier or more haunting silents I like to watch in the dark.

I also tried watching "The Omen" and "The Shining" late at night in the dark.  Very effective, but was scared out of my wits by the end!

• 1 month later...

I believe i can watch any movie at any time of the day. The important thing is to be in the mood to watch a film. It disturbs me to think my mood at the time I begin watching a movie is a determiner to a much higher degree than I would like as to how I'm going experience that movie. For instance, let's say I'm going to watch Strangers on a Train, a movie I have not seen by he way (and this disturbs me, when am i gonna watch it). So what if I sit down and start the show at a time when I am slightly under the weather and not feeling at optimum levels and finally give it up and go to bed. What if I never go back to it? What if my mind has rejected that movie and I decide somewhere in the deep recesses of consciousness that that movie was given a fair trial and has failed the test and now will be relegated to the category I-didn't-like-it when the reason I stopped watching it might well be explained by a runny nose. This possibility probably doesn't bother most people and it doesn't bother me either most of the time but I always end up thinking about it. How many great movies have I rejected because I'm sitting in the Silver Dollar Saloon, for example, watching The Ox-Bow Incident and I suddenly realize that I feel sick and throw up. Good-By Henry Fonda, Harry Morgan, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn, and let's not forget Jane Darwell (yes, yes, I'll see you again sometime but not all together like this), but above all, it is essential that I don't throw up before that wonderful scene when the incredibly alluring Mary Beth Hughs makes that appearance, getting out of that stage and giving those looks to her former boyfriend, Henry Fonda. She is something else, shades of Marilyn, that one. The next time you see that one, take a good look at MBH. Why wasn't she more famous?

Okay, I'm goofing off, but in all seriousness, it's not the time of day, it's how I feel. I mean what if I'm watching something when something is worrying me. The whole experience can be affected by that.

Anybody else think about this? I didn't think so.

==

PS The only exception to the above will be if I am watching a movie with Tor Johnson in it. I'm quite sure I could go into convulsions and still emerge that experience with an undying fervor to once again take up the reel. Tor Johnson is not to be denied. Of course we all know that.

I believe i can watch any movie at any time of the day. The important thing is to be in the mood to watch a film. It disturbs me to think my mood at the time I begin watching a movie is a determiner to a much higher degree than I would like as to how I'm going experience that movie. For instance, let's say I'm going to watch Strangers on a Train, a movie I have not seen by he way (and this disturbs me, when am i gonna watch it). So what if I sit down and start the show at a time when I am slightly under the weather and not feeling at optimum levels and finally give it up and go to bed. What if I never go back to it? What if my mind has rejected that movie and I decide somewhere in the deep recesses of consciousness that that movie was given a fair trial and has failed the test and now will be relegated to the category I-didn't-like-it when the reason I stopped watching it might well be explained by a runny nose. This possibility probably doesn't bother most people and it doesn't bother me either most of the time but I always end up thinking about it. How many great movies have I rejected because I'm sitting in the Silver Dollar Saloon, for example, watching The Ox-Bow Incident and I suddenly realize that I feel sick and throw up. Good-By Henry Fonda, Harry Morgan, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn, and let's not forget Jane Darwell (yes, yes, I'll see you again sometime but not all together like this), but above all, it is essential that I don't throw up before that wonderful scene when the incredibly alluring Mary Beth Hughs makes that appearance, getting out of that stage and giving those looks to her former boyfriend, Henry Fonda. She is something else, shades of Marilyn, that one. The next time you see that one, take a good look at MBH. Why wasn't she more famous?

Okay, I'm goofing off, but in all seriousness, it's not the time of day, it's how I feel. I mean what if I'm watching something when something is worrying me. The whole experience can be affected by that.

Anybody else think about this? I didn't think so.

==

PS The only exception to the above will be if I am watching a movie with Tor Johnson in it. I'm quite sure I could go into convulsions and still emerge that experience with an undying fervor to once again take up the reel. Tor Johnson is not to be denied. Of course we all know that.

The chair or sofa must not be too comfortable. After  a big meal, I am a threat to fall asleep  at any time.

If you have a genuine interest in a film, and since you DO think( some might say "overthink") about this sort of thing, It'd be more likely you'd wait until you felt better before you gave the movie a try.

Your reaction to it depends on many other factors.

Like, what's going on in your life?  I found this to have a profound affect on how I reacted to a BOOK once.

The book was Philip Roth's "Letting Go".  And when I first read it, it was one of the more depressing stories I've ever read.  But it WAS well written, and, as is my habit, I often give books more than one read. 

Well, the SECOND time I read it, I thought it was one of the more HILARIOUS books I've ever read!  So, remembering my first reaction to it, I examined what may have made the difference

The first time I read it, my life was in a bad place and in a dark "season", if you will.  By the second reading, things have much improved, and I was much happier with my situation. 

Now, however, I'd say, in answer to your query, that there must first be ANY kind of interest in whichever film I'm going to watch for the first time.  At least, I'd like to know if there's not going to be any needless and annoying distractions.  Not always easy to arrange or guarantee, but that's the best I can give ya!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The chair or sofa must not be too comfortable. After  a big meal, I am a threat to fall asleep  at any time.

Then DGF, might I suggest this little addition to your home decor here...

bedofnails.jpg

...for of course the next time a Glenn Ford movie is shown on TCM....well, except of course when they show "The Tea House of the August Moon", as he's fairly engaging in that one, ya know.

(...btw, I WAS gonna say a "June Allyson movie" here, but then it dawned on me that THIS would've been "overkill" in your case) ;)

• Like 1

Then DGF, might I suggest this little addition to your home decor here...

bedofnails.jpg

...for of course the next time a Glenn Ford movie is shown on TCM....well, except of course when they show "The Tea House of the August Moon", as he's fairly engaging in that one, ya know.

(...btw, I WAS gonna say a "June Allyson movie" here, but then it dawned on me that THIS would've been "overkill" in your case) ;)

Really "nailed" me on that one.

• Like 1

Got to be in the mood. I'm like the guy going down the buffet isle,staring and trying to decide what to choose.

Then for some reason,I got to have dirty brown food if I'm watching a western,or want thanksgiving type food..if it's a holiday flick! I know...I'm a hot mess,but that's ok.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings