Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hollywood going to the dogs

NipkowDisc

multi-million dollar cgi for teenagers. the big honcho right now is the avengers age of ultron with hype building for star wars the force awakens. when you greedily cater to a single demographic you're shafting everyone else. I doan hold with it. :(

multi-million dollar cgi for teenagers. the big honcho right now is the avengers age of ultron with hype building for star wars the force awakens. when you greedily cater to a single demographic you're shafting everyone else. I doan hold with it. :(

Movies like "Paul Blart" have not only went to the dogs but been caught by the catcher and euthanized.

Well initially I was confused....I thought at first you meant how horrible the movies are today...only time I go to the theatre is to watch the Metropolitan Opera or to a TCM big screen presentation. 

Then I saw Lassie's picture and thought...why not have movie animals as star of the month...

Lassie

Asta

Toto

Trigger and other movies where animals were the feature (maybe not the star)

Plus a series of films or information on the big animal trainers of the movies.  Just a thought. 

Well initially I was confused....I thought at first you meant how horrible the movies are today...only time I go to the theatre is to watch the Metropolitan Opera or to a TCM big screen presentation. 

Then I saw Lassie's picture and thought...why not have movie animals as star of the month...

Lassie

Asta

Toto

Trigger and other movies where animals were the feature (maybe not the star)

Plus a series of films or information on the big animal trainers of the movies.  Just a thought. 

I'll tap my foot 3 times in approval of that.

In the days of downloading, Netflix "streaming" and other forms of piracy and/or otherwise catering to the convienience of people with limited time or resources to enable them to travel to an actual theater, pay more for a ticket than it costs for many other forms of entertainment, I imagine movie makers have to try to capture some kind of audience, and perhaps the only people with the time, money and inclination to go the"the show" anymore ARE the nitwits who like the lowest common denominator in film making!

I really don't know the answer to this.  I'm just trying to guess.  Perhaps some pncil-neck somewhere had results of some "demographic" study that shows the ones more likely to spend the money, or HAVE the money to spend, ARE the dolts who think these movies are great.

Sepiatone

I think I have seen or heard this argument every month or so for the past forty years. Reading a lot of film history, I know this sentiment stretches back all the way to the 1910's! And it's just as wrong now as it was then. There have always been films that cater to different tastes. I don't know where you live, but chances are you have a movie theater (or several) that have more than one screen, showing a variety of titles. I live in a smallish town with only one theater with six screens. On those six screens, they are currently showing a comedy, two romances, an animated family film, a knucklehead action film and now the newest superhero film. If I want to travel for thirty minutes, I can go to the nearest larger town, which has five theaters, sporting a total of around forty screens. They carry everything, from the abovementioned popcorn crowdpleasers, to smaller Indies and foreign fare.

Now, if you can't find a single title to watch, maybe the problem isn't "Hollywood", maybe it's you. Perhaps you've entered the "kids these days" or "get off my lawn" phase of your movie life.

• Like 7

I think I have seen or heard this argument every month or so for the past forty years. Reading a lot of film history, I know this sentiment stretches back all the way to the 1910's! And it's just as wrong now as it was then. There have always been films that cater to different tastes. I don't know where you live, but chances are you have a movie theater (or several) that have more than one screen, showing a variety of titles. I live in a smallish town with only one theater with six screens. On those six screens, they are currently showing a comedy, two romances, an animated family film, a knucklehead action film and now the newest superhero film. If I want to travel for thirty minutes, I can go to the nearest larger town, which has five theaters, sporting a total of around forty screens. They carry everything, from the abovementioned popcorn crowdpleasers, to smaller Indies and foreign fare.

Now, if you can't find a single title to watch, maybe the problem isn't "Hollywood", maybe it's you. Perhaps you've entered the "kids these days" or "get off my lawn" phase of your movie life.

audience.gif

In the days of downloading, Netflix "streaming" and other forms of piracy and/or otherwise catering to the convienience of people with limited time or resources to enable them to travel to an actual theater, pay more for a ticket than it costs for many other forms of entertainment, I imagine movie makers have to try to capture some kind of audience, and perhaps the only people with the time, money and inclination to go the"the show" anymore ARE the nitwits who like the lowest common denominator in film making!

I really don't know the answer to this.  I'm just trying to guess.  Perhaps some pncil-neck somewhere had results of some "demographic" study that shows the ones more likely to spend the money, or HAVE the money to spend, ARE the dolts who think these movies are great.

Sepiatone

I , who am on the slim side, have been labeled a pencil-neck more than once. I could accuse you of lack-of-weight discrimination, but I won't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of my best friend, good old Mr. Wilson.

screen-shot-2015-05-27-at-1-56-45-pm.png

Does everyone here think the overall quality of the movies today is better than most of the classic era? Are remakes done today generally better than the earlier originals?

What is the worse job, a portable toilet cleaner or a movie reviewer today?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings