Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alison Skipworth

drednm

Thanks for the nice writeup on Alison Skipworth. I must admit that years ago I used to confuse her with Marie Dressler.

Skipworth and W. C. Fields made a memorable team, with one of their films, Tillie and Gus, now available as part of the Universal Vault Collection. It's an OK print of a film distinguished more by their comic personalities than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Skipworth is great.  She's especially funny in The Princess Comes Across (1936) and If I Had a Million (1932).

I don't think TCM shows those two films very often?

I also liked her in Dangerous (1935) with Bette Davis.

Alison Skipworth is always good. She's one of those performers who always lift a picture and add interest. Just saw her in Becky Sharp. Her best role may be in Outward Bound with Leslie Howard.

Alison Skipworth is always good. She's one of those performers who always lift a picture and add interest. Just saw her in Becky Sharp. Her best role may be in Outward Bound with Leslie Howard.

I know I may be the only one saying it, but I like her later pictures at Republic. She gets more opportunities to carry the action in the lower-budget fare. There's one with Mae Clarke that is very good: HITCH HIKE LADY. And she also shines with Lew Ayres in KING OF THE NEWSBOYS.

mv5bnjcznji0mtq1mf5bml5banbnxkftztgwmda5

I'm glad you created this thread for a fine character actor.     I admit I didn't know her by name but I had seen her in many films like Outward Bound, Dangerous,   The Princess Comes Across,  Becky Sharp,  and a few others.    

It looks like she was under contract with Paramount in the early 30s and TCM doesn't show as many 30s movies from that studio like they do WB, MGM and RKO.     

Yup, the (bad) luck of the draw. She's basically remembered for her films with Fields, but she had a solid career aside from that. Had she been an MGM actress, she'd be better remembered today and her films would be seen more often on TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings