Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie words they should outlaw.

slaytonf

To paraphrase Angie Dickinson in Point Blank, they make my skin crawl.  I get so tired of reading and hearing them so often.  Using them should be the only crime punishable by death.  To start off:

Cliché--Is there any more clichéd word?

Overrated, or underrated--Term used to allow one to dismiss a well-known movie one doesn't care for on the one hand, or rave over an obscure movie one likes on the other, all without offering any justification.  Is there a Central Standards Agency that establishes an Official Ratings Scheme for movies?  I've never seen one.  Frankly, I don't have a clue what the rating of any movie is.

Masterpiece--Term used to describe a movie you really, really like.  So by definition, it's a surpassing work of art.  If there's any word that's so dismayingly misused, or makes me cringe when I read it, it's this one.   Think The Night Watch.  Think Pride and Prejudice.  Think the Pieta.  Think "'Round Midnight."  These are the works a movie is being equated with when someone uses that term to describe the latest installment of the Fast and Furious franchise.

To paraphrase Angie Dickinson in Point Blank, they make my skin crawl.  I get so tired of reading and hearing them so often.  Using them should be the only crime punishable by death.  To start off:

Cliché--Is there any more clichéd word?

Overrated, or underrated--Term used to allow one to dismiss a well-known movie one doesn't care for on the one hand, or rave over an obscure movie one likes on the other, all without offering any justification.  Is there a Central Standards Agency that establishes an Official Ratings Scheme for movies?  I've never seen one.  Frankly, I don't have a clue what the rating of any movie is.

Masterpiece--Term used to describe a movie you really, really like.  So by definition, it's a surpassing work of art.  If there's any word that's so dismayingly misused, or makes me cringe when I read it, it's this one.   Think The Night Watch.  Think Pride and Prejudice.  Think the Pieta.  Think "'Round Midnight."  These are the works a movie is being equated with when someone uses that term to describe the latest installment of the Fast and Furious franchise.

Instant Hit. Says who?

Feel Good Movie of the Year. Ditto.

I agree....

"Instant hit"? What about "instant classic"? 

Oy.

I haven't heard this particular cliche for some time, but in the 70's and up into the 80's it seemed as if every movie ad would have some variant of

"Diana Ross IS Billie Holiday".  After a while that "IS" really got grating.

I haven't heard this particular cliche for some time, but in the 70's and up into the 80's it seemed as if every movie ad would have some variant of

"Diana Ross IS Billie Holiday".  After a while that "IS" really got grating.

A negative review could say "Diana Ross is NOT Billie Holiday".

A negative review could say "Diana Ross is NOT Billie Holiday".

Yeah, Miss D wasn't the world's greatest actress, and she was no Lady Day as a singer, either.  But her version of "Good Morning, Heartache" was actually pretty good as covers go.

"Diana Ross IS Billie Holiday". 

A buddy of mine, at the time quipped, "Not unless she's dead, too!"  :lol:

I could also do without..."In a world...."

I kinda giggle when, in a trailer for a movie that looks like one I'll surely not care for claims...."You've never seen anything like...."

I always think, "Yeah, that's because up till now, I've been lucky!" 

Sepiatone

Yeah, Miss D wasn't the world's greatest actress, and she was no Lady Day as a singer, either.  But her version of "Good Morning, Heartache" was actually pretty good as covers go.

I don't think her performance in "Lady Sings the Blues" can be faulted. Unfortunately there is "The Wiz".

Most writers know that "thin as a rail" and "smart as a whip" are clichés. However, they seem to believe that "rail-thin" and "whip-smart" are oh so clever.

If you describe a movie's dialogue as "whip-smart," you are letting us know you are "box-of-rocks-dumb."

• Like 1

When I hear the phrase "I love you with all my heart" it usually makes me want to puke. 

Howzabout we switch that line with some more interesting organs!

Like:

"Hey, baby, I dig you with both my kidneys!"

"I love you with every soaked inch of my pickled liver!"

"I love you with all the bile my stomach can produce!"  (Whatever that means . . . ).

"Baaay-bee, you is da Goods!  I luv with you with all the sweat tucked away in my un-washed man-boobs!"

Nothin' says lovin' like . . . "I love you now liked I loved all my amputated toes!"  

"My iron lung and I both luv you, darlin'!!!" 

"My dental fillings are throbbing with whatever the dentist used to fill them for your love!"

"I love you with all 25-feet of my lower intestine!"  (Now that's luv ♥♥♥!)

'nuff said.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh, yes! I agree with you folks here.

(...yep, there ARE a lot of words and phrases which by sheer overuse seem to lose much of their..ahem.."gravitas", aren't there!) ;)

When I hear the phrase "I love you with all my heart" it usually makes me want to puke. 

Howzabout we switch that line with some more interesting organs!

Like:

"Hey, baby, I dig you with both my kidneys!"

"I love you with every soaked inch of my pickled liver!"

"I love you with all the bile my stomach can produce!"  (Whatever that means . . . ).

"Baaay-bee, you is da Goods!  I luv with you with all the sweat tucked away in my un-washed man-boobs!"

Nothin' says lovin' like . . . "I love you now liked I loved all my amputated toes!"  

"My iron lung and I both luv you, darlin'!!!" 

"My dental fillings are throbbing with whatever the dentist used to fill them for your love!"

"I love you with all 25-feet of my lower intestine!"  (Now that's luv ♥♥♥!)

'nuff said.

More than enough.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings