Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

man-made monster

NipkowDisc

I've been wanting to see lon chaney jr. as this electric guy.

tomorrow nite on svengoolie. :)

be7jp1.jpg

besides lon chaney jr. as this electroded guy, there's also a nice ep of lost in space too, the trader with torin thatcher. I always get a kick outta thatcher popping in at the dinner table to offer the robinsons his wares. smith goes nuts for some turkey but professor robinson says no. maureen and judy are gonna prepare some delicious hamburgers made from scratch...

from dehydrated string beans (no doubt got from the hydroponic garden). now just howda ya make hamburger patties from dehydrated string beans? do you chop, mince or shred? then cook the hell out of it until you have something brown with the consistency of a chewy steak-umm? sounds good to me. :) 

I always confuse those non-mainstream monster Lon Chaney, Jr. films and will watch this to remind myself about it. And I see the great Byron Foulger is in it as well, always a welcome presence!

180px-Byron_Foulger_screenshot.jpg

besides lon chaney jr. as this electroded guy, there's also a nice ep of lost in space too, the trader with torin thatcher. I always get a kick outta thatcher popping in at the dinner table to offer the robinsons his wares. smith goes nuts for some turkey but professor robinson says no. maureen and judy are gonna prepare some delicious hamburgers made from scratch...

from dehydrated string beans (no doubt got from the hydroponic garden). now just howda ya make hamburger patties from dehydrated string beans? do you chop, mince or shred? then cook the hell out of it until you have something brown with the consistency of a chewy steak-umm? sounds good to me. :) 

why should they trade with the trader when they can have some delicious dehydrated string bean robinsonburgers? :D

maureen and judy are gonna prepare some delicious hamburgers made from scratch...

I believe that string beans would be a very poor base. It is true that nearly any vegetable can be reduced to a paste and formed into patties, but a bean-based "herbivore's hamburger" is in general made from black beans, kidney bean, or pinto beans rather than string beans because they do not have be processed into pure pap before cooking.

be7jp1.jpg

The inventor of body armor?

Body-Armor-FAQ.jpg

There is nothing scary about this image today, most workers of the Japan's Fukushima nuclear reactor site looks like him.

tumblr_litaifNh181qaws9po1_500.gif

There is a program titled: Faceoff on SyFy channel in which make-up artists create characters to order. One week they may have to turn models into sea monsters and the next present entrants for a "most beautiful alien in the galaxy" pageant.

I find the process fascinating. They make masks of silicone and latex, craft costumes, and apply layers and layers of paint. Discussions and judging touch on such subjects as realistic musculature, color transitions, profiles, and hundreds of other considerations which mean the difference between a wonderful character and a blob.

It is now between seasons of the show. I know that SyFy has pictures and clips from the show on their website.

be7jp1.jpg

Didja see it, Nipkow?

I didn't, but I saw the end, where they showed Rich at some convention, because the movie was short (Rich said). The lady with the horns shoulda won, btw.

He comes off as a very nice guy, I like him. He should replace RO, if Ben doesn't want the job.

Poor Lon Chaney Jr., it must have done a job on him having an overbloated ham as a father. He and Bing Crosby probably had a lot in common.

Didja see it, Nipkow?

I didn't, but I saw the end, where they showed Rich at some convention, because the movie was short (Rich said). The lady with the horns shoulda won, btw.

He comes off as a very nice guy, I like him. He should replace RO, if Ben doesn't want the job.

Poor Lon Chaney Jr., it must have done a job on him having an overbloated ham as a father. He and Bing Crosby probably had a lot in common.

did not think too much of man made monster last nite. lon chaney jr. was not handed a lot to do except act a little less stupid than lenny. only good acting came from lionel atwill and anne nagel. gee, what a scary monster. tears his rubber electro-suit on some barbed wire and he's finished. wouldn't you think that dam pooch woulda got juiced at some point? and why did mccormick fry them goldfish? to test his voltage? anyway, so much for electro-biology.

and having to sit through a dumb horror flick like man made monster is bad enough but you gotta put up with svengoolie's lame humor which is often times excruciating. if koz wasn't his voice then I would say give hosting duties to the scrawny yellow chicken which certainly has more personality then svengoolie. this is what koz does. he will show a good movie then follow it up with one or two turkeys before showing a good movies again.

did not think too much of man made monster last nite. lon chaney jr. was not handed a lot to do except act a little less stupid than lenny. only good acting came from lionel atwill and anne nagel. gee, what a scary monster. tears his rubber electro-suit on some barbed wire and he's finished. wouldn't you think that dam pooch woulda got juiced at some point? :( and why did mccormick fry them goldfish? to test his voltage? anyway, so much for electro-biology.

and having to sit through a dumb horror flick like man made monster is bad enough but you gotta put up with svengoolie's lame humor which is often times excruciating. if koz wasn't his voice then I would say give hosting duties to the scrawny yellow chicken which certainly has more personality then svengoolie. this is what koz does. he will show a good movie then follow it up with one or two turkeys before showing a good movies again.

Man this film was certainly made on the cheap. Most of the period Universal horror films have some kind of decent story line but not this one. Right from his first appearance we see that Lionel Atwill  is up to no good and the "wise" good guy professor is completely naïve as to what his partner is doing.  Everything is so predictable; Chaney's character is too much the simpleton, his only "romance" is with the dog. By the way, I like dogs and in this picture the dog seemed to be the only character to care about. If Chaney and the girl would have had  a little chemistry going it would have made the story more interesting and explained his care in how he handled her at the end. Maybe even suggesting that he sacrificed himself just for her sake.  Was it just me or did the girl Anne Nagel look and sound just a little like Ida Lupino?   Not a lookalike, but maybe in her acting she was trying to mimic Lupino to a degree. This film was too short, but maybe that was a good thing. Lengthening it won't have helped much.  Svengoolie's corny gags seemed worse than usual to me and they really worked to fill in the two hour time slot, but not too successfully.  

I think MAN MADE MONSTER is one of the best of Universal's minor B's.  It was a great debut for Lon Chaney Jr. and every nickel of its meager budget wound up on the screen.  While the scenario may be a bit obvious, the dialogue is extremely thoughtful and the performances are low-key and believable.  Sam Hinds and Anne Nagel are especially fine.  When you compare this with a penny dreadful like NIGHT MONSTER, you appreciate the observant photography and lighting.  Hans J. Salter composed a nearly complete original score, only recycling the Main Title from INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS and one or two other cues.

• Like 1

did not think too much of man made monster last nite. lon chaney jr. was not handed a lot to do except act a little less stupid than lenny. only good acting came from lionel atwill and anne nagel. gee, what a scary monster. tears his rubber electro-suit on some barbed wire and he's finished. wouldn't you think that dam pooch woulda got juiced at some point? and why did mccormick fry them goldfish? to test his voltage? anyway, so much for electro-biology.

Hmmm, thought you were a fan.

Never mind.

I think MAN MADE MONSTER is one of the best of Universal's minor B's.  It was a great debut for Lon Chaney Jr. and every nickel of its meager budget wound up on the screen.  While the scenario may be a bit obvious, the dialogue is extremely thoughtful and the performances are low-key and believable.  Sam Hinds and Anne Nagel are especially fine.  When you compare this with a penny dreadful like NIGHT MONSTER, you appreciate the observant photography and lighting.  Hans J. Salter composed a nearly complete original score, only recycling the Main Title from INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS and one or two other cues.

I agree with you here except about Night Monster. One of my secret pleasures is reciting the dialogue between Leif Erikson and anybody he comes into contact with. "Plenty of other people around here with feet. Why don't you measure them?"

Anyway, MMM is one of my faves for the reasons you cited above. Svengoolie was on too much, but I have the DVD and can watch it commercial free whenever I wanna!

I agree with you here except about Night Monster. One of my secret pleasures is reciting the dialogue between Leif Erikson and anybody he comes into contact with. "Plenty of other people around here with feet. Why don't you measure them?"

Anyway, MMM is one of my faves for the reasons you cited above. Svengoolie was on too much, but I have the DVD and can watch it commercial free whenever I wanna!

Night Monster is a fun movie. 

I would like to see your list of Universal minor B's.  I like Night Monster -- lots of fun.  From what I remember, I also like The Mad Doctor of Market Street very much, though I haven't seen it in yonks. And all those Mummy follow-ups: I'm a sucker for those, although I still think the death of Ann Codee (Tante Berthe) near the start of The Mummy's Curse is one of the great tragedies of movie history. What a character!  Give us a list of Universal minor B's, please. 

Of course NIGHT MONSTER is fun.  Great cast, great stock music etc.  But I think MAN MADE MONSTER had a little bit more thought behind its execution (you should excuse the expression), making the most of slightly above-average script.

MARKET STREET has a great opening reel but the rest is pretty awful.  Nat Pendleton really sinks it.

As for THE MUMMY'S CURSE - I love it!  From Ananka's emergence from the clay to both Ann Codee and Kurt Katch's murders, it has some truly great moments.  And Sawtell's music when Kharis is breaking through the temple wall is very effective.  After HAND, my vote for the best of the Kharis pictures.

• Like 1

After HAND, my vote for the best of the Kharis pictures.

I've always been a big fan of THE MUMMY'S HAND. Even the little comic banter in the film (largely supplied by Wallace Ford) is quite enjoyable, and he, along with Dick Foran (probably the one Foran performance that I really like) and Peggy Moran are an engaging trio of heroes.

Of course, the final half hour of the film has some really nice atmospheric photography and great mood music and Tom Tyler is a surprisingly effective Kharis. When I first saw this film as a kid those closeup shots of the mummy with his eyes blacked out gave me nightmares for a week. Actually, I believe it was a technical screwup that they appeared that way since in other closeups in the film you do see Tyler's pupils. Accident or not, it's highly effective.

68404409-cf69-4981-b418-78d45ac8f5c2_zps

Pupils

f05d38c2-04c4-4719-a3ca-2287c38131e7_zps

No pupils.

Eeeeeeeeekkkkkkk!!! No exaggeration - nightmares for a week!

I'm sorry I didn't get to watch more than the opening of Man-Made Monster on Saturday night. Before I could press record, a neighbor dragged me out of my apartment for a visit. I do confuse all those minor Chaney, Jr. films and wanted to differentiate it in my mind from the others -- like Indestructible Man. I've seen them all, but it's been ages.

Do you remember Shock Theater on Channel 7 in NYC in the old days, following the Ben Hecht Show? They were my early introduction to horror films. The first one that I saw was Dracula's Daughter, still a favorite of mine, though after securing permission from my mother to stay up to watch it, I ran screaming from the living room as soon as the film started, though I did bravely go back after a few minutes.

They used to show all the big ones, plus ... Market Street; ...Marie Roget; and many others. Here's a list, which I think is more or less accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_Theater

Do you remember Shock Theater on Channel 7 in NYC in the old days, following the Ben Hecht Show? They were my early introduction to horror films. The first one that I saw was Dracula's Daughter, still a favorite of mine, though after securing permission from my mother to stay up to watch it, I ran screaming from the living room as soon as the film started, though I did bravely go back after a few minutes.

I didn't get to the Universals until WOR got them in the lmid-late 60's, after WABC.  They ran them on Supernatural Theater.  I was very upset when my folks wouldn't let me stay up to see THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN one night.  Finally caught it a few years later on WNEW's CREATURE FEATURES.

And here's what was happening in the late 60's on WPIX:

• Like 1

I didn't get to the Universals until WOR got them in the lmid-late 60's, after WABC.  They ran them on Supernatural Theater.  I was very upset when my folks wouldn't let me stay up to see THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN one night.  Finally caught it a few years later on WNEW's CREATURE FEATURES.

I remember Chiller Theater. That was, as you say, a bit later.  Another horror film series I quite liked was Shock-o-Rama, which was on Channel 13 before it became PBS. (I think it become an educational television station around 1962).

And here's what was happening in the late 60's on WPIX:

Wow, no Swithin, I don't remember Shock Theater or the Ben Hecht show.

Ray, Chiller Theatre was the show I remember.

And of course, the Monster Chiller Horror Theatre........ooooooooooh.  :D

• Like 1

Wow, no Swithin, I don't remember Shock Theater or the Ben Hecht show.

Ray, Chiller Theatre was the show I remember.

Ray and Primo: I assume you've heard of Zacherley (John Zacherle), who came to NY from Philly to host Shock Theater during its run. Zacherley will be 97 this year. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings