Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOVIES SO BAD THEY ARE GOOD ...

Palmerin

... are a thing I don't believe exists.

They are supposed to be funny because they are so ridiculous. However, bombs like AT LONG LAST LOVE, BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, the Burt Bacharach LOST HORIZON, and ZABRISKIE POINT do not inspire any mirth in me; instead I'm ashamed of myself for wasting my precious time on Earth on such a worthless activity.

I really like Ed Wood's Glen or Glenda (1953).  The film is so screwed up it sort of makes sense on a whole new artistic level.  And probably impossible to do if you set out do so intentionally.

It is an accidental piece of art.  So, I don't agree.  I think there are some films that are 'so bad' that they are in actual fact good.

Watching out-an-out bombs are arguably a grand waste of time.  I have no desire to see the Lost Horizon remake again.

But I think there are examples of happy accidents such as Glen or Glenda that are very entertaining.

A movie doesn't have to be well-made to be entertaining for my 'standards'.  There's plenty of bad movies I like for the simple reason they amuse me.  That's my No. #1 Priority for 'Movie Watching':

Did the movie entertain me? 

The movie I've seen the most times is EVILSPEAK (1981).  Like a reverse-gender CARRIE and with a horde of satanically-possessed killer boars thrown in for good measure.  I dig it.       

• Like 1

I really like Ed Wood's Glen or Glenda (1953).  The film is so screwed up it sort of makes sense on a whole new artistic level.  And probably impossible to do if you set out do so intentionally.

It is an accidental piece of art.  So, I don't agree.  I think there are some films that are 'so bad' that they are in actual fact good.

Watching out-and-out bombs is arguably a grand waste of time.  I have no desire to see the Lost Horizon remake again.

But I think there are examples of happy accidents such as Glen or Glenda that are very entertaining.

How do you like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE? If its dialog was tweaked judiciously that movie would make for a very witty spoof of the science fiction of the 1950s.

How do you like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE? If its dialog was tweaked judiciously that movie would make for a very witty spoof of the science fiction of the 1950s.

As it stands, I am not a particular fan of PLAN 9.  It is a curio.  I agree that it is not far off though.  

There are probably a ton of examples of 'campy' films and tv that are quite good.  Lorenzo Semple, Jr.'s Batman series with Adam West comes to mind.

Airplane! is full of campy bad jokes and works quite well.

But these works are intentionally campy and trade on bad jokes.

I'm struggling to come up with a better example of an accidental tour de force like Glen or Glenda.

Watching out-an-out bombs are arguably a grand waste of time.  I have no desire to see the Lost Horizon remake again.

6d41c6b7-d395-4d23-bea1-f57ec2c93c49_zps

Yes, I would say that this classic "poignant" moment from Glen or Glenda is strong evidence that this Ed Wood messterpiece qualifies to be included in the so-bad-it's good classification.

They are supposed to be funny because they are so ridiculous. However, bombs like AT LONG LAST LOVE, BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, the Burt Bacharach LOST HORIZON, and ZABRISKIE POINT do not inspire any mirth in me; instead I'm ashamed of myself for wasting my precious time on Earth on such a worthless activity.

Sounds like it sucks to be you.

I read somewhere -- possibly from the IMDb which can be accurate sometimes -- that Sam Peckinpah said he was able to make 'BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA' exactly the way he wanted to (i.e. without studio interference in the editing process like what was done with 'Major Dundee' (1965)) so whether a viewer liked it or didn't like it at least they would know he made it the way he wanted to.  

I've not seen it yet myself, btw.

For me it's the aforementioned Lost Horizon.   How could anyone not like a movie starring Bobby Van and Liv Ullmann?  The movie inspiring Bette Midler's quip:  "I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical."  Maybe it was the late hour it aired and slap happiness on my part, but I was transfixed. 

For me it's the aforementioned Lost Horizon.   How could anyone not like a movie starring Bobby Van and Liv Ullmann?  The movie inspiring Bette Midler's quip:  "I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical."  Maybe it was the late hour it aired and slap happiness on my part, but I was transfixed. 

Actually, I take back what I said about not wanting to see the Lost Horizon remake ever again.  I like watching all sorts of films, even bad ones.  After a 30 year absence it probably would be interesting (and educational) to see this train wreck again.

I should also confess to liking Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfonso Garcia.  And not because it is bad/good.  I thought it was pretty good as is.

Most of us should be well familiar with the plot of Mel Brooks' The Producers.  A theatrical Producer and his auditor conspire to oversell subscriptions in a broadway play that will be so bad that it is guaranteed to close on opening night.  Its play, Springtime For Hitler starts out as expected.  The audience is dumb struck by what they see, but then they begin to get the joke.  What is appallingly bad becomes a hit sensation.

Reefer Madness hit cult status in the 1960's and 1970's because it was so bad it was (sort of) good.  Glen or Glenda falls into the same category.  They have certainly outlived other grade D films by a long shot.

Two other jaw-dropping, must be seen-to-be-believed films that are personal favourites are Gene Kelly's Xanadu and Mae West's Sextette.   Recreational drugs will enhance the experience.

In Sextette, West plays the most beautiful woman in the world who is courted by a host of men that include, Timothy Dalton, Tony Curtis, George Hamilton, Alice Cooper and Keith Moon.  Mae was 85 when she made this film.

Timothy Dalton's serenades Mae with the song Love Will Keep Us Together and it puts fellow Bond's Pierce Brosnan's Mamma Mia song to shame.  It is guaranteed to be with one for some weeks to come.

Xanadu and Sextette would make a great Saturday night TCM double bill.

There's no stopping me now.  I have two more favourites that fit this category quite well.

The first is Kenji Misumi's 1972, Lone Wolf and Cub 2: Baby Cart at the River Styx.  It follows a Ronin Samurai who travels the countryside with a kid in a pram.  The action sequences are quite astounding with geysers of blood (from hoses) reminiscent of Monty Python's Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days sketch and their Holy Grail.

The second is the original 1975, Kenji Fukasawa's, Graveyard of Honor.  A garishly funny Japanese Yakuza film.  In one scene where gangsters are attending a wake luncheon, the rather insane hero takes the urn of cremated ashes of the deceased leader and commences to wolf them down at the dinner table.

The heads of Rosie Grier and Ray Milland (his last film, I hope) sharing a body in The Thing With Two Heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHNA_j7h5A

I remember that, back when THE RED SKELTON SHOW was on, he was often criticized for bad taste. I have never understood that criticism; what did Skelton do that was in bad taste? I thought he was funny, but I was only a child.

Regarding the subject of this thread, the vital question is: WHAT IS FUNNY? Some people, such as my mother, who still laughs at the inane jokes she learned as a child, have terrible senses of humor. So did Lorenzo Semple-Minded; even as a child I hated his lack of respect for BATMAN, which was definitely in bad taste.

So what IS funny? Surprisingly enough, often times effective humor is purely accidental. All too often the comedies of such people as Adam Sandler try too hard to be funny; on the other hand, P9FOS is hilarious because Ed Wood made it in all seriousness; no bad taste camp or tongue in cheek intended!

One terrible film I love is UHF.  Granted, the film stars Weird Al, so I'm not sure if it's intentionally supposed to be bad, but the production values are pretty low, which makes it even funnier. 

Reefer Madness is hilarious, I love that movie.

I'll also have to admit that I love Xanadu

Roller Boogie is pretty bad, but who doesn't love movies featuring roller disco? That's part of the reason I love Xanadu so much.  I think Xanadu is better than Roller Boogie, if only because there are higher caliber stars (Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John) and better music.  If only Kelly and Newton-John had teamed up in some type of dance contest. 

I think it all depends on the viewer as to whether they can set aside the fact that they're not watching a masterpiece and instead look at the absurdity as hilarious and entertaining as opposed to finding it a waste of time.  Sometimes films, despite all their flaws, have that certain something that keeps you entertained, or maybe there are funny gags, or dialogue so ridiculous that it's funny, or the film has some type of charm or something.  I don't know if I can really explain it.  I think films either "click" for you or don't. 

I'm not a big fan of science fiction, but I love the terrible sci-fi movies of the 50s and 60s and the cheesy horror movies of the 70s and 80s.  They're just so unintentionally hilarious that they're highly entertaining. 

My husband and I just watched Barbarella recently.  That movie made no sense and was ridiculous but was oddly entertaining.  I have no idea why.  I really liked the music.  Lol. 

Logan's Run is another of those cheesy 70s movies that is so ridiculous that it's funny.  Except I think Logan's Run went on just a bit too long.  It's sad to think that I'm now the age where I would have had to sacrifice myself to "Carousel" if I didn't become a "runner."

I also love Mommie Dearest.  I know it's over the top, completely ridiculous and I'm sure parts of it are untrue.  However, it is probably one of the campiest movies ever and I love it.  Is it bad that I felt bad for Joan Crawford during most of the film? Christina was lame!

NO WIRE HANGERS EVER!

"So Bad They're Good" movies belong in their own genre, a genre I love very much.

If you're into lower budget Sci-Fi from the 60s and so forth, then you should see The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra (2001).  It is a reenactment of bad sci-fi, complete with stilted alien language, accomodating earthly hosts that are staying in a backwoods cottage (actually two distinctly different cottages, meant to be the same one, in the spirit of discontinuity), and even a space ship whose door gets stuck (in the DVD extras, this was said to be an unplanned mistake).  Looks like they had a fun time.

One terrible film I love is UHF.  Granted, the film stars Weird Al, so I'm not sure if it's intentionally supposed to be bad, but the production values are pretty low, which makes it even funnier. 

Reefer Madness is hilarious, I love that movie.

I'll also have to admit that I love Xanadu

Roller Boogie is pretty bad, but who doesn't love movies featuring roller disco? That's part of the reason I love Xanadu so much.  I think Xanadu is better than Roller Boogie, if only because there are higher caliber stars (Gene Kelly and Olivia Newton-John) and better music.  If only Kelly and Newton-John had teamed up in some type of dance contest. 

I think it all depends on the viewer as to whether they can set aside the fact that they're not watching a masterpiece and instead look at the absurdity as hilarious and entertaining as opposed to finding it a waste of time.  Sometimes films, despite all their flaws, have that certain something that keeps you entertained, or maybe there are funny gags, or dialogue so ridiculous that it's funny, or the film has some type of charm or something.  I don't know if I can really explain it.  I think films either "click" for you or don't. 

I'm not a big fan of science fiction, but I love the terrible sci-fi movies of the 50s and 60s and the cheesy horror movies of the 70s and 80s.  They're just so unintentionally hilarious that they're highly entertaining. 

My husband and I just watched Barbarella recently.  That movie made no sense and was ridiculous but was oddly entertaining.  I have no idea why.  I really liked the music.  Lol. 

Logan's Run is another of those cheesy 70s movies that is so ridiculous that it's funny.  Except I think Logan's Run went on just a bit too long.  It's sad to think that I'm now the age where I would have had to sacrifice myself to "Carousel" if I didn't become a "runner."

I also love Mommie Dearest.  I know it's over the top, completely ridiculous and I'm sure parts of it are untrue.  However, it is probably one of the campiest movies ever and I love it.  Is it bad that I felt bad for Joan Crawford during most of the film? Christina was lame!

NO WIRE HANGERS EVER!

"So Bad They're Good" movies belong in their own genre, a genre I love very much.

So Bad It's Good is actually a genre I acknowledge having in my internal collection of movies. 

I have seen about half of the ones you mention.  Others that I have from the 70s are Frogs, Killdozer, At the Earth's Core, Day of the Animals, Empire of the Ants, and Laserblast.  Laserblast is actually not a bad movie at all, it was just the last of the "old school" sci-fi movies right before Star Wars debuted.  In fact some theaters were showing the two at the same time.

Not exactly related, but since you mention Roller Boogie, I finally saw that, and then saw Abba The Movie.  I hadn't seen that before, even though I actually have the DVD.  The rogue reporter gets his interview with the band.  The best Abba footage I have seen though is from something else they did, where the lighting was much brighter and the concert sound clearer.

I have been focusing on 1930s era musicals with heavy vaudeville influences, just because I have never seen anything like it before, but this sort of stuff has a place on my shelf too.

Sepiatone:  If you fancy the movie ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES you might like this Milt Kamen routine from 1963.  I don't know how to "link" anything, but if you go to YouTube and type this into the Search Bar you'll find it:  (It's from a program called 'Hootenanny', Oct. 12, 1963)

Milt Kamen "Science Fiction Movie" 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings