Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to the "How Many 'Today's Topics' Threads Are There?" Thread?

Arturo

What happened to the "What Happened To" the "Where Is The" "Who Was The Most" "Name The Most" thread?

Good post, Fred. These threads are always rather silly in my opinion-- because we all know what happened: the thread was moved or deleted. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

What the OP may be trying to say is 'why did a thread I like get deleted, even though it was violating message board policies...?'

Good post, Fred. These threads are always rather silly in my opinion-- because we all know what happened: the thread was moved or deleted. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

What the OP may be trying to say is 'why did a thread I like get deleted, even though it was violating message board policies...?'

Up until I last viewed it last night, I hadn't seen anything there warranting moving or deleting, or otherwise.violating policy. So I wonder what happened. DGF gave a clue, re.a reply of his, which might be why it disappeared. But I still don't know why?

• Like 1

Aargh !

I was pretty sure it was going to be deleted, but I would have liked to have seen the other responses /posts on it this morning before it was whisked away.

But I had no access to a computer today, so I've no idea if there were any other posts at all - except, I guess, DownGoesFrazier's, which I missed  (the last time I was on the boards before now was last night about 1 a.m. )

Despite TopBilled's objections to it, I did not in fact say or even do anything nasty. I was just having fun with the whole concept of a "Today's Topic" thread (or threads, all 400 divided by 28 or whatever scsu75 calculated...)

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit disingenuous. I admit, I do find the "Today's Topic" threadS annoying, but not out of ill will or just to be mean.

I just don't see why he has do label them "Today's Topic". It feels like "Lesson of the Day" or something. It also implies a kind of limitation, as though whatever the "topic" is, you'd better get on it and express your ideas fast, because by tomorrow, it will have morphed into another "topic".

Monsieur TopBilled feels I am "frivolous" and "silly", or at least, many of my threads are. I take that as a compliment. It takes hard serious work to be silly.

teach-kids-make-silly-faces--large-msg-1

• Like 1

...It takes hard serious work to be silly.

Since WHEN???

'Cause I'VE never worked up a sweat around here, MissW!

(...some of us are just "naturals", I guess!) ;)

LOL

How about this:

"Today's Topic:  Was the concept of Leap Year devised by a Roman Emperor or a Church of Rome Pontiff?  Discuss."

Bonus points: How many, if any, movies have referred to leap year, Roman Emperors. or the Great Schism  of 1054? (Careful, it may be a trick question.)

Hey, by the way, I thought I'd go and read the Code of Conduct, just to see what exactly it says about acceptable and unacceptable behaviour on the boards.

And lo, I could not find it ! Anywhere.

The closest I came to it is the link I'm posting. But nowhere on that page does it actually say "Code of Conduct".

So where the frig is the C of C, anyway?

Here's what I did find:

http://www.tcm.com/terms-of-use.html

But I don't think this is the "Code of Conduct" page.

by tomorrow, it will have morphed into another "topic".

Precisely why I don't bother with them. Not much point in putting any effort into a discussion that will become obsolete in a couple of hours, the pertaining posts never to be read again by anyone.

I really don't get the point of these threads that change title every day. Seems like just something Topper came up with to give the illusion that his threads are long-lived and popular. Most of the posts in them are probably his own. But I could be wrong about that - after all, I never read those threads, let alone post in them.

Hey, by the way, I thought I'd go and read the Code of Conduct, just to see what exactly it says about acceptable and unacceptable behaviour on the boards.

Interesting that you have made more than 6,000 posts since April 2009 (over six years) and you are suggesting that until now, you never made the effort to read the Code of Conduct. Maybe this explains why some of your posts and threads are deleted, because you've never been fully aware of TCM's message board guidelines...?

The Code of Conduct (which btw is at the bottom right of the top message board page, at least in my browser) is very fine print and very long. Maybe TCM has to include every last word of the Code on that page, for legal reasons; but all that text makes it unlikely that anyone is actually going to read it.

I've been hear for 9 years and have almost 6,000 posts but have never gotten through the whole Code.

Interesting that you have made more than 6,000 posts since April 2009 (over six years) and you are suggesting that until now, you never made the effort to read the Code of Conduct. Maybe this explains why some of your posts and threads are deleted, because you've never been fully aware of TCM's message board guidelines...?

Talk about a comment coming from someone living in a glass house. Seems to me that I've seen a number of your threads deleted. Did you not read the Code of Conduct yourself?

The Code of Conduct (which btw is at the bottom right of the top message board page, at least in my browser) is very fine print and very long. Maybe TCM has to include every last word of the Code on that page, for legal reasons; but all that text makes it unlikely that anyone is actually going to read it.

I've been hear for 9 years and have almost 6,000 posts but have never gotten through the whole Code.

I think you're making excuses for ignorance and laziness. Nobody has the right to legitimately complain about the moderators' decisions without being fully versed about the Code of Conduct.

Talk about a comment coming from someone living in a glass house. Seems to me that I've seen a number of your threads deleted. Did you not read the Code of Conduct yourself?

I would be more than happy to discuss that with you if I didn't feel you were being accusatory instead of earnestly conversational. Plus, if you want to have a spitting contest, then it will seriously derail this thread and get it deleted, too. We're smarter than that, Tom.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings