Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies are disappearing at an alarming rate.

slaytonf

Used to be, when I trolled the TCM Database and discovered a movie I was interested in was scheduled to show, I could count on it to show.  The exception being a general pre-emption for a big star's tribute on their death.  Last year, I was surprised and pleased to see That Man From Rio was scheduled for February.  Come February, no Man.  Bummer.  Well, maybe I was wrong.  Wishful thinking.

But was I mistaken?  I now see He Walked By Night, once slated for May 3, disappeared.  And Lovers Courageous, once slated for July 24 is also now gone.  This, in addition to The Tree of Wooden Clogs, lost to Seven Samurai.

What's going on?  Is anything going on?  Certainly something I've never encountered before.

What's going on?  Is anything going on?  Certainly something I've never encountered before.

Well, without addressing specific titles, a major reason we see changes is the fact that TCM is the only channel that  puts it's schedule out so far in advance. Here it is the beginning of May and you're talking about a movie scheduled for July 24th. Try and find another channel that has their schedule out that far in advance. You won't. On some you'll be lucky if you can find the rest  of May.

So why is that? Well, TCM does what they do to please their loyal fans, like us, who love anticpating what's coming up months in advance. But, in return, they expect that we'll understand that it's always subject to change, just like that of any other network.

The others  don't because they know the farther out they get the more likely there's going to be changes (often beyond their control) and it's just easier for them if  they don't have to keep revising an already released schedule.

Schedule changes aren't exclusive to TCM, they happen at every network. The only difference is that their viewers never know about them.

• Like 3

Well, without addressing specific titles, a major reason we see changes is the fact that TCM is the only channel that  puts it's schedule out so far in advance. Here it is the beginning of May and you're talking about a movie scheduled for July 24th. Try and find another channel that has their schedule out that far in advance. You won't. On some you'll be lucky if you can find the rest  of May.

So why is that? Well, TCM does what they do to please their loyal fans, like us, who love anticpating what's coming up months in advance. But, in return, they expect that we'll understand that it's always subject to change, just like that of any other network.

The others  don't because they know the farther out they get the more likely there's going to be changes (often beyond their control) and it's just easier for them if  they don't have to keep revising an already released schedule.

Schedule changes aren't exclusive to TCM, they happen at every network. The only difference is that their viewers never know about them.

I think you're overstating some of this to make TCM look great (greater than it already is). Let's be more level-headed about this.

The Encore and Retroplex channels have their schedules available two months in advance-- so we can already see what is scheduled for July 4th. Each day that we move forward in real time, the next day of the schedule two months from now is available. It's always been this way with them-- it is very reliable and consistent and they do not make changes.

Obviously, TCM makes changes based on availability of titles from outside the TCM Library. Also, they revise themes at the last minute sometimes if they can find a better way to present something. So I don't fault them for that. 

But I do agree that it's a bit silly to complain about a title being changed for late July, when we are barely in early May. Usually when TCM bumps something, they try again and it shows up a month or two later. You have to be patient.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS has disappeared....... and YOU'RE NEXT! YOU'RE NEXT! YOU'RE NEXT!

Fred, I notice you've resumed your practice of embedding illegal clips from Youtube in some of your posts. You do know there is another poster who reports those things to the mod, yes?

INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS has been airing on Retroplex (both the '56 and '78 versions).

Fred, I notice you've resumed your practice of embedding illegal clips from Youtube in some of your posts. You do know there is another poster who reports those things to the mod, yes?

i didn't know a short clip is illegal. I thought it fit into the "fair-use, education/movie-review" category.

i didn't know a short clip is illegal. I thought it fit into the "fair-use, education/movie-review" category.

Maybe you're right. Let's ask the lawyers around here... LOL

But I do think most of those clips are on Youtube without the consent of the owners. So how can you verify it?

http://www.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-online-video#two

TWO: Using copyrighted material for illustration or example

Sometimes video makers quote copyrighted material (for instance, music, video, photographs, animation, text) not in order to comment upon it, but because it aptly illustrates an argument or a point. For example, clips from Hollywood films might be used to demonstrate changing American attitudes toward race; a succession of photos of the same celebrity may represent the stages in the star's career; a news clip of a politician speaking may reinforce an assertion.

PRINCIPLE: This sort of quotation generally should be considered fair use and is widely recognized as such in other creative communities. For instance, writers in print media do not hesitate to use illustrative quotations of both words and images. The possibility that the quotes might entertain and engage an audience as well as illustrate a video maker's argument takes nothing away from the fair use claim. Works of popular culture typically have illustrative power precisely because they are popular. This kind of use is fair when it is important to the larger purpose of the work but also subordinate to it. It is fair when video makers are not presenting the quoted material for its original purpose but to harness it for a new one. This kind of use is, thus, creating new value.

LIMITATIONS: To the extent possible and appropriate, illustrative quotations should be drawn from a range of different sources; and each quotation (however many may be employed to create an overall pattern of illustrations) should be no longer than is necessary to achieve the intended effect. Properly attributing material, whether in the body of the text, in credits, or in associated material will often reduce the likelihood of complaints or legal action and may bolster a maker's fair use claim.

http://www.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-online-video#two

TWO: Using copyrighted material for illustration or example

Sometimes video makers quote copyrighted material (for instance, music, video, photographs, animation, text) not in order to comment upon it, but because it aptly illustrates an argument or a point. For example, clips from Hollywood films might be used to demonstrate changing American attitudes toward race; a succession of photos of the same celebrity may represent the stages in the star's career; a news clip of a politician speaking may reinforce an assertion.

PRINCIPLE: This sort of quotation generally should be considered fair use and is widely recognized as such in other creative communities. For instance, writers in print media do not hesitate to use illustrative quotations of both words and images. The possibility that the quotes might entertain and engage an audience as well as illustrate a video maker's argument takes nothing away from the fair use claim. Works of popular culture typically have illustrative power precisely because they are popular. This kind of use is fair when it is important to the larger purpose of the work but also subordinate to it. It is fair when video makers are not presenting the quoted material for its original purpose but to harness it for a new one. This kind of use is, thus, creating new value.

LIMITATIONS: To the extent possible and appropriate, illustrative quotations should be drawn from a range of different sources; and each quotation (however many may be employed to create an overall pattern of illustrations) should be no longer than is necessary to achieve the intended effect. Properly attributing material, whether in the body of the text, in credits, or in associated material will often reduce the likelihood of complaints or legal action and may bolster a maker's fair use claim.

I see problems with this. First, when someone embeds a short clip from Youtube, they seldom (if ever) attribute the clip to the studio or owner of the copyright. It's a lot of blind copying and pasting, without checking. 

Also, most of these clips are not being posted to support a thesis or intellectual argument. They are being posted primarily for entertainment value. So there are abuses going on, and I believe that is why the mod has been removing the posts.

I see problems with this. First, when someone embeds a short clip from Youtube, they seldom (if ever) attribute the clip to the studio or owner of the copyright. It's a lot of blind copying and pasting, without checking. 

Also, most of these clips are not being posted to support a thesis or intellectual argument. They are being posted primarily for entertainment value. So there are abuses going on, and I believe that is why the mod has been pulling the posts.

How about this.....

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/497855/Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-Original-Trailer-.html

The thread title is a bit misleading in my opinion. 

Anyone who comes on to the boards and sees it might think TCM is showing less movies in favor of original programming or infomercials. In the most general sense, movies are not disappearing from TCM. Some titles are being replaced with other titles, thereby necessitating occasional schedule changes. 

Why are you telling me this? I didn't start the thread.

Sorry for the confusion, Fred.

I wasn't replying to you (or I would have quoted you). It was a more general comment for the OP, because I think the thread sounds like it is about the end of TCM, when it's mainly about a few schedule substitutions. Hardly stuff for Chicken Little to get worked up about, is it...?

Oh.

I ask you a question, "How about this" and I thought you were replying to me.

I thought the link you provided to the TCM media room was acceptable. But why do we need a link at all? If we say, Film X has been taken off the schedule, and it's a fairly well-known title, why do we need a link to view the trailer? The goal is to be able to see it (again) in its entirety on TCM-- not to see it on Youtube, and not to see pieces of it in the media room. 

I get what you are trying to do-- but I am just wondering how necessary it is, when a simple mention and photographic image would suffice.

that is how I feel about it. tcm can't forget about HOT SPELL forever. :)

Well, I do admire your persistence. But I hope you don't slash your wrists if TCM never plays it. It's only a movie, after all, and you do have a copy of it, yes?

I think you're overstating some of this to make TCM look great (greater than it already is). Let's be more level-headed about this.

Not so. I'm just talking from experience. I spent most of my 40 year career  programming movies at a major station so I know how things work in the business. If the channels you mentioned release their schedules that far ahead that's great. If they never have a schedule change I'd call that miraculous. But, I dare say, for every one like those, there are a number of others like Fox Movie channel where I've often found it to be less then two weeks in advance.

Not so. I'm just talking from experience. I spent most of my 40 year career  programming movies at a major station so I know how things work in the business. If the channels you mentioned release their schedules that far ahead that's great. If they never have a schedule change I'd call that miraculous. But, I dare say, for every one like those, there are a number of others like Fox Movie channel where I've often found it to be less then two weeks in advance.

Sorry mark, but I felt your previous post read more like a Valentine to TCM. I believe we should be more objective. Also, comparing TCM's schedule to Fox's schedule is only one angle-- and there are countless movie channels that have reliable schedules posted online, quite a bit in advance of what is airing on any given day. 

To sum it up, I think the OP raised a valid criticism--but we have to weigh that against all the other factors which affect schedules and necessitate changes/substitutions. 

Furthermore, TCM is not rewarding loyal viewers with schedules three months from now (lately it's been reduced to two and a half months). They reward loyal viewers with quality programming, and the viewers reward TCM by watching consistently. The schedules are guides that help people prioritize what they would like to see, and any cable channel has an obligation to provide as much schedule information as possible when it becomes known to them, and to provide the most accurate and timely information. As someone who worked in the field, I am sure you know that.