Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Is The Name Of This Movie?

LochWulf

Yes, I'm afraid it's...

Yet Another Request For Movie Title Based Only On Plot Nugget

I'm hoping some fellow oldie-but-goodie cine fan knows the title of a particular comedy, the last 15 minutes or so of which I caught a couple of years ago on Turner. Based on those final fifteen minutes it looked to be a very funny comedy, but I'm afraid the scrap of paper onto which I jotted the movie's title has long since disappeared.

The known facts:

• Black and white, and likely from the 40s, although late 30s or early 50s wouldn't be out of the question.

• Main characters seemed to be the stereotypical corporate executive (office downtown in tall office building), his daughter, and the young man who's in love with the daughter but who, despite being an industrious hardworking chap, hasn't the pedigree nor the wealth to meet the daughter's parents' standards.

• In the aforementioned final 15 minutes of the movie, Daugher has gone to the airport to fly off with her wealthy but snobbish fiance for marriage, Father has realized (somehow) that the poor but industrious fellow would be the better son-in-law and has gone to the airport himself to intercept Daughter and try to get her to see the light, and Poor-But-Industrious has also gone to the airport, I suppose to see Daughter one last time.

Pretty predictable, but Father has the obligatory "You can do what you want, but follow your heart, and by the way, Poor-But-Industrious is pretty alright after all" speech to Daughter; despondent P-B-I, figuring he's lost out, wants to rent a parachute to go jumping with, and in his despondency, asks to rent one of the cheap bargain models which stands a decent chance of not opening; and of course Daughter makes the right choice and catches up with P-B-I over at the parachute jumping rentals hangar while the attendant is still scrounging around for a parachute with a less-than-spotless success history.

I might've missed the details a bit, but I think the gist is there. That last bit of the movie had laugh-out-loud moments, and if any indication of the movie as a whole, makes it well worth seeing again.

But tracking it down starts with figuring out the flick's title, and that's where I'd be most grateful if anyone can identify it based on that scrap of storyline I've described.

Many thanks, and cheers!

• Like 1

might want to change thread title to something like "what's this film?"

1st thought when seeing

YARFMTBOOPN

was, 'oh geez, more spam!'

(the sort of nonsense with which the board often gets bombarded)

just a suggestion....

BTW great question otherwise  :)

• Like 1

Advice duly noted, appreciated, and acted upon, Mr. 6^4!

Yeah, I really dropped the ball on that first thread title; kinda bizarre too, because as a member of many online advice forums for many years, I've more than once counseled posters to make their thread titles informative enough to draw in those with the specific know-how to address the question, and interesting enuf to make 'em read in the first place. My original title flew way wide of the mark on both counts. Chalk it up to a poorly-considered stab at "interesting", I guess...

Again, many thanks for the tip.

After X hours of googling every plot keyword combination I can think up and drawing a whole lotta nothing, I really hope one of my fellow TCM-ites remembers the flick in question.

• Like 1

@MovieCollectorOH: Many many thanks, comrade! That's indeed the one I was looking for, and I really appreciate it.

@FredCDobbs: Yep, and other searches on various keyword combos (here and on Google, natch) produced similarly huge haystacks. Finding the lone needle means either dialing in the magic keyword combo that filters the haystack to a size that's sufficiently less daunting, or else having a boatload of time on one's hands.

I hadn't seen enough of the movie to come up with the former, and Mrs. LochWulf is always diligent to guard against the latter ;)

• Like 2

Happiness Ahead (1934).  A bored heiress (Josephine Hutchinson) leaves high society and falls in love with a window washer (Dick Powell).

LOL! That's #220 in the IMDb list of 601 titles. Just a little digging...

LOL! That's #220 in the IMDb list of 601 titles. Just a little digging...

Didn't even need to go that route.  I recognized that as one of the Dick Powell movies that I have.  The OP's clues were an excellent retelling of the last scene of the movie.  All I needed to do was narrow it down to the title.  There are two different movies of his with a similar type of plot.  I confirmed it by watching the last 5 minutes...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even need to go that route.  I recognized that as one of the Dick Powell movies that I have.  The OP's clues were an excellent retelling of the last scene of the movie.  All I needed to do was narrow it down to the title.  There are two different movies of his with a similar type of plot.  I confirmed it by watching the last 5 minutes...lol

Most excellent!

:)

I can retain facts, but I have trouble with movie plots I don't see often enough. You have a great ability.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings