Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Orson Welles is 100 years old today

LuckyDan

Just saw this item on Twitter and thought I'd check the boards for thoughts on Orson. I didn't see a thread going, which surprised me, but I thought I'd share.

I'm a great admirer of his work, especially Kane and Touch of Evil. I was surprised that F for Fake made the list, but not his Othello.

He struggled for funding of his films in his later career, but Peter Bogdanovich quoted Orson as saying something like, oh how they will love me after I'm gone.

Thoughts on Mr. Welles?

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/05/06/orson-welles-at-100-here-are-10-essential-movies/?mod=e2tw

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Orson Welles.  It seems with him, people either love him or hate him.

I love him.  He was way ahead of his time and his films are fascinating.  His radio shows are great too.  He also had that great voice and it seems a pretty good sense of humor--after all, he did guest star as himself on an episode of I Love Lucy and allowed Lucy to screw up his magic act.  I also saw him on an episode of The Dick Cavett Show and he was hilarious.  Last, but not least, he also appeared as a movie bigwig in one of my favorite movies ever, The Muppet Movie, where he signed Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, et. al. to the "standard Rich and Famous" contract.

My favorite of Welles' directing films are Citizen Kane and The Lady From Shanghai and my favorite of his acting films is Tomorrow is Forever, The Third Man and The Muppet Movie.

• Like 1

Thank you for your thoughts, Speed. I remember his turn with Lucy! It was probably my introduction to him.

He was an acquired taste for me. It took a few viewings of Kane before i got how good it really is.

Sad his 100th wasn't well commemorated.

Thank you for your thoughts, Speed. I remember his turn with Lucy! It was probably my introduction to him.

He was an acquired taste for me. It took a few viewings of Kane before i got how good it really is.

Well, on TCM at least, he's getting a whole month of Friday nights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It IS being commemorated on TCM, and how many 100th birthday anniversaries are commemorated anywhere ELSE but TCM?

Although the blogger feels sorry for Mr. Welles' unfortunate positions, there are some good clips and interviews here which may be enjoyed without negativity from the host blogger.

orson-welles-commercials-advertising

To get to the really good stuff, you must fast forward to the end of the commercials

- there you will find some treasures

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Orson Welles was a genius of a film director, actor, producer, writer, and anything else he wanted to do but it didn't mean that he wasn't difficult. On the contrary, his genius may have allowed him to be a difficult man in real life. Even though he left an enormous legacy in his films, he was the master and is still regarded by directing one of the most highly regarded films in cinema history, Citizen Kane, loosely based on Randolph William Hearst and his life.

• 5 weeks later...

Orson Welles was a genius of a film director, actor, producer, writer, and anything else he wanted to do but it didn't mean that he wasn't difficult. On the contrary, his genius may have allowed him to be a difficult man in real life. Even though he left an enormous legacy in his films, he was the master and is still regarded by directing one of the most highly regarded films in cinema history, Citizen Kane, loosely based on Randolph William Hearst and his life.

I agree!  I think Orson was marvelous and recently saw one of his last films about Tesla.  He played J.P. Morgan very ably. My young son who is 34 said he liked the film because of Orson!  ....   I first discovered Orson when I was about 10 when I saw Jane Eyre on TV in the early 60's.  I was quite impressed by Citizen Kane and his other fine performances as well.  ...  Yes, Touch of Evil was very good  and Othello, etc.  I did read that he was not a very easy person to know at times, or be married to.  Rita Hayworth had been very unhappy.  But his genius will live on.

I'm a big fan of Orson Welles.  It seems with him, people either love him or hate him.

I love him.  He was way ahead of his time and his films are fascinating.  His radio shows are great too.  He also had that great voice and it seems a pretty good sense of humor--after all, he did guest star as himself on an episode of I Love Lucy and allowed Lucy to screw up his magic act.  I also saw him on an episode of The Dick Cavett Show and he was hilarious.  Last, but not least, he also appeared as a movie bigwig in one of my favorite movies ever, The Muppet Movie, where he signed Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, et. al. to the "standard Rich and Famous" contract.

My favorite of Welles' directing films are Citizen Kane and The Lady From Shanghai and my favorite of his acting films is Tomorrow is Forever, The Third Man and The Muppet Movie.

Tomorrow is Forever is one of my favorite films of all time.  Claudette, Orson and George Brent were marvelous in their roles.

Natalie Wood, a child star at the time turned in a superb performance as a German orphan Orson's character adopts after her parents die in the war. .....  I had forgotten to say The Third Man was quite impressive too.  Orson, Joseph Cotten and Valli are very talented here.  ....  I too loved Orson in the magic act on I Love Lucy.  She gets levitated in the episode!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings