Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MADE-UP MESSAGE BOARD POLLS THREAD

I know this thread will be considered unnecessary,and controversial by some, attention-getting by others, and just another thread about the threads, instead of about movies, to still more. Also, some will be fed up with all the "navel gazing" that's going on.

But I'm not doing this for any of the above reasons. I want to communicate to everyone on these boards, and especially to the moderators, that I think the decision to move the thread called "Rich's Made-Up Message Board Polls" to the "Chit Chat" forum was a bad one. Bad decision, that is.

I cannot usually access this site in the daytime, or I would have posted this sooner. When I saw, tonight, that Rich's thread had been moved, I was not only surprised, I was angry.

Here's a few things I have to say about it:

1) Why does one person get to decide which threads will remain in a particular forum, which ones will be moved to another, and which ones will disappear altogether? Nothing TopBilled can say will convince me that he had nothing to do with this.

2) The above - the power of one person to make these kinds of changes - is especially deplorable because this particular thread was very popular and I'm betting most people here enjoyed it.

3)Yes, if we enjoy it, we can still follow it on the "Chit Chat " forum. But that's not the point. The point is that the thread was fine where it was.

Furthermore, it was relevant to the "General Discussions" forum, because it made direct allusions to things going on in that forum (in a very funny and good-natured way).

It contributed greatly to a sense of community on the boards in general, and this forum in particular. It's "place" now in the "Chit Chat" forum will just reduce the number of people who see it.

And it isn't "Chit Chat". It's an extremely funny, clever, and playful thread that gently makes fun of -or more accurately, has fun with - the ongoing conversations we're all having in General Discussions.

The thread should not have been moved. I'm surprised and disgusted with the decision of the mods to go along with whoever suggested it.

If this gets me a "warning point", or banned, or whatever, so be it. I had to call the mods out on this one.

Rich, if I embarrassed you by drawing so much attention to your great little thread, I apologize. That was not a part of what I wanted to do here.

• Like 6

I think there is a lot of flawed logic in the original post. 

First, the original poster operates under the assumption that she knows why the mod makes the decisions he makes. She doesn't give him any credit for being independent, and instead suggests he is easily influenced by a poster (me) she does not like. That sounds like a paranoid conspiracy. Also, if the mod was easily influenced by me, wouldn't it stand to reason, he could be just as easily influenced by others against me? We have a very fair moderator and it's time for the original poster to stop stating otherwise and to stop stirring people up on these boards. I bet if I looked through all her recent posts in the last few days, less than 10% of them are focused on classic film and TCM programming. Again, she needs to get back on track and stop drawing everyone into her weird conspiracy theories. I said it before in another post, and I will say it again: enough is enough. Get back on track and end the madness.

Second, the other thing in her original post is that she claims less people will see an offensive thread because it is not in the General Discussions area. How does she know what the overall flow of traffic is on these forums? Where is her scientific proof? Plus, doesn't it stand to reason that if popular threads are distributed across the other chat areas that it will increase visits to those boards? To say that someone will not see something in another area is one of the weakest arguments of all time. Stop making false claims and be realistic. If people cannot seriously toggle over to the other boards to find a thread they like, then maybe they are just lazy. 

Third and finally, there is no need to be disgusted by anything that happens on a message board that is for the most part well-run by TCM. In fact, if anyone should be disgusted, it should be TCM's website personnel who can clearly see with these nonsensical threads just how spoiled and ungrateful and demanding and unreasonable we've become.

MissW, I agree and support everything you say in your post, except, as obligatory for TCM messageboards, I have a criticism.  You should have made this thread a poll.  I mean a real poll about imaginary polls.  That would have contributed to completing the transformation of these boards into a truly meta- state.  As with all other areas of modern culture, it is not the discussion now that is valued, but discussion of the discussion.  An even observations on the discussion's discussion.  In this way, culture will increasingly become derivative, attenuating until it drifts away as gossamer in the breeze.

MissW, I agree and support everything you say in your post, except, as obligatory for TCM messageboards, I have a criticism.  You should have made this thread a poll.  I mean a real poll about imaginary polls.  That would have contributed to completing the transformation of these boards into a truly meta- state.  As with all other areas of modern culture, it is not the discussion now that is valued, but discussion of the discussion.  An even observations on the discussion's discussion.  In this way, culture will increasingly become derivative, attenuating until it drifts away as gossamer in the breeze.

My guess is the original poster does not know how to make survey threads like others have done on this website. And what point would it serve-- to show how far away from a discussion about classic film and TCM we can go...?

I agree wholeheartedly, misswonderlytoo!

Your logic is flawless, and your arguments are unassailable. I doubt that any reasonable person could see your post as self-serving, attention-grabbing, or inappropriate for the board.

I am sad to say that I see one large flaw: you are preaching to the choir.

The Moderator's decision to move the thread was bad not only because it demonstrates well that they continue to bend to the will of the bully, but because also that it is illogical in the extreme. That thread was a discussion of events in the forum. This is the: General Discussions board. This board is therefore the proper place for that thread.

Their illogical ways extend to their allowing the majority of the bully's posts to remain in this board. All the threads concerning individual movies should be moved to: Films and Filmmakers board. The continual harping on one particular movie should be moved to: Your Favorites. Most of the other of that person's posts should be moved to: Blogs forum. 

• Like 5

I agree wholeheartedly, misswonderlytoo!

Your logic is flawless, and your arguments are unassailable. I doubt that any reasonable person could see your post as self-serving, attention-grabbing, or inappropriate for the board.

I am sad to say that I see one large flaw: you are preaching to the choir.

The Moderator's decision to move the thread was bad not only because it demonstrates well that they continue to bend to the will of the bully, but because also that it is illogical in the extreme. That thread was a discussion of events in the forum. This is the: General Discussions board. This board is therefore the proper place for that thread.

Their illogical ways extend to their allowing the majority of the bully's posts to remain in this board. All the threads concerning individual movies should be moved to: Films and Filmmakers board. The continual harping on one particular movie should be moved to: Your Favorites. Most of the other of that person's posts should be moved to: Blogs forum. 

Quite true. Hoo boy, very quite true.

Sadly, this is same old, same old.

We've been through this before, though, remember?

And we'll likely be going through this again.

And again.

And again.

• Like 1