Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mac_the_Nice

A TCM Must See This A.M.

Purple Noon, from 1960, the French adaption to the screen of Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley--always worth seeing again for the fans of Highsmith, Alain Delon and director,  René Clément. Comes on at 10:30 a.m. CDT.  Been awhile since I saw this but my recollection is of a feeling that I liked the Hollywood version better. That's not at all usual for me, since mostly I despise the remake of just about anything--so maybe a martini or two too many that night had gotten in the way of my better critical judgment.  Now I get to find out, as I sit down to watch with nothing more than orange juice, coffee and fumes of bacon & eggs to influence my general awareness.

Definitely a superior movie.  One of Alain Delon's best performances.  He portrays the cold-blooded, calculating murderer in such a way that it makes his audacity and presumption seem admirable.  As if he were going after the Western ideal of financial success and getting the girl of his dreams, just like any other guy.  You find yourself rooting for him until the end of the movie when you are brutally reminded of the outrages he committed to get it.  The end is elegantly played.

• Like 1

Purple Noon, from 1960, the French adaption to the screen of Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley--always worth seeing again for the fans of Highsmith, Alain Delon and director,  René Clément. Comes on at 10:30 a.m. CDT.  Been awhile since I saw this but my recollection is of a feeling that I liked the Hollywood version better. That's not at all usual for me, since mostly I despise the remake of just about anything--so maybe a martini or two too many that night had gotten in the way of my better critical judgment.  Now I get to find out, as I sit down to watch with nothing more than orange juice, coffee and fumes of bacon & eggs to influence my general awareness.

Wow, thanks slaytonf. With all these icky Italian movies - who told Mario Lanza he could act? - I was ready to give up on today.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks slaytonf. With all these icky Italian movies - who told Mario Lanza he could act? - I was ready to give up on today.

Don't forget to thank m_t_n, too.

I'm afraid to say, slayton and Mac the Nice, I couldn't do it. I left when the better looking guy (not Alain Delon) did. 

:-)

Have you decided which film, this or the Hollywood version seems to you the best?  Hard for me to judge since I haven't read the novel. But so far as including enough of the kind of detail necessary to an understanding of plot and character, I guess I'm still tending toward the Hollywood version.

Have you decided which film, this or the Hollywood version seems to you the best?  Hard for me to judge since I haven't read the novel. But so far as including enough of the kind of detail necessary to an understanding of plot and character, I guess I'm still tending toward the Hollywood version.

Talented Mr. Ripley? I can't stand Matt Damon, so I didn't last even as long as I lasted with the French version. 

I'm going to display my prejudices here, but I have to say I prefer Plein Soleil, even without having seen The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Claude Chabrol, Alain Delon, how can you better that, let alone equal it?

I'm going to display my prejudices here, but I have to say I prefer Plein Soleil, even without having seen The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Claude Chabrol, Alain Delon, how can you better that, let alone equal it?

Plein Soleil gets my vote too

In some ways the Hollywood version (with Matt Damon as Ripley) is truer to the book. than PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON). However, that movie depicted Ripley (Matt Damon) in a relationship with a man. in none of the Ripley books did he ever act on any of his homosexual impulses.

In some ways the Hollywood version (with Matt Damon as Ripley) is truer to the book. than PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON). However, that movie depicted Ripley (Matt Damon) in a relationship with a man. in none of the Ripley books did he ever act on any of his homosexual impulses.

Thanks for answering the question I was about to ask.    

Plein Soleil gets my vote too

I have to agree. I saw two minutes, if that much, of the Matt Damon version on cable (happened to be on by chance) and it stunk.

And I disliked Plein Soleil. After the good looking guy (did he have a name?) was killed - I assume they found his stabbed body, didn't Alain have the brains to just knock him out and throw him overboard, which would have been believable? - I left. So Alain suddenly learned how to pilot that sailboat? Amazing.

Much ado about a nothing movie.

I have to agree. I saw two minutes, if that much, of the Matt Damon version on cable (happened to be on by chance) and it stunk.

And I disliked Plein Soleil. After the good looking guy (did he have a name?) was killed - I assume they found his stabbed body, didn't Alain have the brains to just knock him out and throw him overboard, which would have been believable? - I left. So Alain suddenly learned how to pilot that sailboat? Amazing.

Much ado about a nothing movie.

I wish I had seen Plein Soleil so I could compare the two.    I really like the Damon version and feel it is a well made movie with fine acting and great location scenes.     Maybe one needs to watch a film for more than 2 minutes before judging it?   ;)

I wish I had seen Plein Soleil so I could compare the two.    I really like the Damon version and feel it is a well made movie with fine acting and great location scenes.     Maybe one needs to watch a film for more than 2 minutes before judging it?  

I liked the Matt Damon movie before I saw PLEIN SOLEIL.

Both movies deviate from the book a great deal.

didn't Alain have the brains to just knock him out and throw him overboard, which would have been believable? 

He did throw him overboard.  It wouldn't matter making it believable, him planning that the body wouldn't be found, and after assuming the other's identity.

If I'm not mistaken there was movie made about an older Tom Ripley.

I think maybe John Malkovich played the part.