Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
roverrocks

Stop Showing ROMAN HOLIDAY So much!!

I notice that ROMAN HOLIDAY is being shown again today.  Enough already!!  Seems like it is broadcast every week.  I readily admit it is a fine movie and one that I enjoyed but enough already.  TCM: Quit scheduling ROMAN HOLIDAY so often.  I'm not watching it every time and I suspect others aren't either.  Leave it alone for a couple of years. 

I notice that ROMAN HOLIDAY is being shown again today.  Enough already!!  Seems like it is broadcast every week.  I readily admit it is a fine movie and one that I enjoyed but enough already.  TCM: Quit scheduling ROMAN HOLIDAY so often.  I'm not watching it every time and I suspect others aren't either.  Leave it alone for a couple of years. 

there are alotta films tcm oughta stop showin' and alotta films they oughta start showin' (again)...

like HOT SPELL. :D

I was hoping someone would point out the distinctive lack of Hot Spell on the schedule.

Roman Holiday hasnt been shown in many years (probably over a decade or more) Since its a Paramount film TCM am sure has a rental agreement for a finite amount of time to show it, so they are getting their moneys worth out of the agreement. Then it will disappear again..........It's not like NBNW which is shown constantly year in year out.

• Like 2

I enjoy it too much to not want to see it, so I'll vote the "keep the same quantity".  I do think it qualifies as an Essential but, for me, it's because Eddie Albert delivers a performance that defines "what a supporting actor can do" to keep any scene going at full-speed.

Both ROMAN HOLIDAY and LAURA were missing in action from the schedule for years.

TCM is making up for the lack of air time for both of these movies while they have the license to do so.

I like that they showing these movies multiple times.

No matter how many times a film is shown on TCM, there are going to be those out there who will be seeing it for the first time. It's not about any one viewer. Even if they did show it once a week, I hope I have enough other things to do during that time slot so that it won't ruin my life.

• Like 1

It's not like NBNW which is shown constantly year in year out.

Rumor has it that there are two big signs on the wall of TCM's programming department. The first one says:

NEVER, UNDER ANY  CIRCUMSTANCES,  SCHEDULE "HOT SPELL"!

And the one next to it reads:

WHEN IN DOUBT RESCHEDULE " NORTH BY NORTHWEST" AGAIN!

:lol:

• Like 2

Speaking of HAWT SPEL . . . 

The 1990 edition of the Leonard Maltin TV Movie and Video Guide I keep around (because it's got all those old made-for-television movies listed) has ½ a sentence more in the review than does the Second Edition of 'Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide'.  Apparently The Powers That Be in the editing room didn't like the last ½ half-a-sentence in the older review so it's gone.  Is that not horrible?!?!  :blink:

I have NEVER gotten the feeling that ROMAN HOLIDAY is shown a lot.

I have NEVER gotten the feeling that ROMAN HOLIDAY is shown a lot.

While I don't know the exact count it sure feels like RH has been shown a lot in the past 6 or so months.    3 times maybe?   Anyhow I love the movie so when it is on I'll watch some parts of it (e.g. the café scene is tops!).

Rumor has it that there are two big signs on the wall of TCM's programming department. The first one says:

NEVER, UNDER ANY  CIRCUMSTANCES,  SCHEDULE "HOT SPELL"!

And the one next to it reads:

WHEN IN DOUBT RESCHEDULE " NORTH BY NORTHWEST" AGAIN!

:lol:

I'll bet they will show HOT SPELL on the tcm film festival cruise just to get back at me. :angry:

• Like 1

According to MovieCollector's records (going back to 2002):

ROMAN HOLIDAY has aired on TCM a total of 37 times--the first broadcast was in 2005, so that is 37 times in ten years.

2005: 6 broadcasts (for four of those, two were in September and two in December)

2006: 2 broadcasts (both in January-- so that means if it aired twice the month before, it aired four times in a two-month period)

2007: 4 broadcasts

2008: 6 broadcasts

2009: 7 broadcasts (all in different months)

2010: 5 broadcasts

2011: 1 broadcast

2012: zero

2013: zero

2014: 1 broadcast (for Audrey's SUTS tribute in August)

2015: 5 broadcasts (January, February, March, April & May-- it is not on the June or July schedule)

ROMAN HOLIDAY has aired on TCM a total of 37 times--the first broadcast was in 2005, so that is 37 times in ten years.

2005: 6 broadcasts (for four of those, two were in September and two in December)

2006: 2 broadcasts (both in January-- so that means if it aired twice the month before, it aired four times in a two-month period)

2007: 4 broadcasts

2008: 6 broadcasts

2009: 7 broadcasts (all in different months)

2010: 5 broadcasts

2011: 1 broadcast

2012: zero

2013: zero

2014: 1 broadcast (for Audrey's SUTS tribute in August)

2015: 5 broadcasts (January, February, March, April & May-- it is not on the June or July schedule)

TopBilled, what's the story with hot spell? I'd love to see tcm's record with that. :D

TopBilled, what's the story with hot spell? I'd love to see tcm's record with that. :D

Never aired.  

I'll bet they will show HOT SPELL on the tcm film festival cruise just to get back at me. :angry:

I placed a special order!  :lol:

I'll bet they will show HOT SPELL on the tcm film festival cruise just to get back at me.

Rumor has it that a remake of HOT SPELL is in the works and that the new movie is loaded with lots of exciting CGI.

• Like 1

Rumor has it that a remake of HOT SPELL is in the works and that the new movie is loaded with lots of exciting CGI.

Well if the remake of Hot Spell is set in the future using B 50s movie sci-fi film techniques Nipkowdisc will be first in line. 

That averages out to about 4 showings a year. which is a lot less than some films.  A simple count doesn't really say that much. Since TCM programs 24 hours a day and has to consider viewers in all the different time zones, multiple showings make sense.

That averages out to about 4 showings a year. which is a lot less than some films.  A simple count doesn't really say that much. Since TCM programs 24 hours a day and has to consider viewers in all the different time zones, multiple showings make sense.

Yes. I think the OP may have felt compelled to start the thread, because it has aired every month so far this year-- and I guess if it's a film you don't like, you notice it. LOL

But it is not airing during the next two months, so the OP can relax. :)

Yeah, I have to admit I agree with this thread's premise.

Yep, enough with this travelogue of The Eternal City featuring Audrey's beauty.

Ya see, NOW I wanna see MORE of Europe and featuring ANOTHER brunette beauty!

And so, is anybody ELSE up here for TCM showing a lot MORE of an in her most radiant prime Suzanne Pleshette in, "IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM" ???...

6495630013_2c137c7802_z.jpg

(...a very under-appreciated little gem of a movie, I always thought)

;)

Yes. I think the OP may have felt compelled to start the thread, because it has aired every month so far this year-- and I guess if it's a film you don't like, you notice it. LOL

But it is not airing during the next two months, so the OP can relax. :)

I know, sometimes it seems like certain films are on every single month. I guess it's one of those no-win situations. If TCM shows a film too often, they get complaints, but if they don't show one for a long time they get 'em too. They can't please everybody.

Yeah, I have to admit I agree with this thread's premise.

Yep, enough with this travelogue of The Eternal City featuring Audrey's beauty.

Ya see, NOW I wanna see MORE of Europe and featuring ANOTHER brunette beauty!

And so, is anybody ELSE up here for TCM showing a lot MORE of an in her most radiant prime Suzanne Pleshette in, "IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM" ???...

(...a very under-appreciated little gem of a movie, I always thought)

;)

Well you do know that TCM showed Rome Adventure with the lovely Suzanne right after Roman Holiday.

But I'm all for more Suzanne.  

• Like 1

Well you do know that TCM showed Rome Adventure with the lovely Suzanne right after Roman Holiday.

Yeah James, but it's still about and set in Rome, now isn't it?! 

Remember, I said lets see more of EUROPE!!!

(...well okay...as you guessed, my real intent here was to say lets see more of our luscious Suzanne) ;)

I know, sometimes it seems like certain films are on every single month. I guess it's one of those no-win situations. If TCM shows a film too often, they get complaints, but if they don't show one for a long time they get 'em too. They can't please everybody.

There is no 'seems' about this. I provided evidence from the past five schedules that shows TCM did play ROMAN HOLIDAY every month. To the OP, it might have seemed like it was on every week. But in truth, it was on every month.

Also, 37 times in ten years (especially when it did not air in two of those years, so technically it was 37 times in 8 years) is fairly excessive. When I look at other data, there are MGM, RKO and WB films that have aired less than half dozen times since 2002. And there are not rights issues with those.

So in a way, because the channel is so theme-driven, certain titles that do not easily fit themes are often neglected. That's the unfair lopsided reality.