Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARXISM, BUGSISM, AND OTHER ISMS

speedracer, I also love the caricatures of the "old" movie stars in the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons.

Of course, they were current movie stars when the cartoons were made.

tumblr_lxol9dOt8c1qbrdf3o1_r1_400.gif

reel49d212.jpg

4242bafc66526ea7437c178ea0d074e6.jpg

hollywood-steps-out.jpg

mickey-rooney.png

tumblr_inline_mn8355Sq3P1qz4rgp.png

tumblr_inline_mn8b6iRQ3n1qz4rgp.png

tumblr_inline_mn8c81DwMv1qz4rgp.png

Screen+Shot+2014-04-23+at+00.23.46.png

Screen+Shot+2014-04-22+at+22.26.45.png

Can anyone identify all of the stars being caricatured?

1. Edward G. Robinson... I can't think of the woman

2. Peter Lorre

3. James Stewart and...

4. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and George Raft

5. Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland

6. Cary Grant and Greta Garbo

7. not sure... thinking possibly Bette Davis for the woman

8. Henry Fonda

9. Clark Gable

10. Ann Sheridan ?

Later in the cartoon, my boy Errol makes an appearance ;-) He cat-calls the pretty girl/Groucho.

speedracer, I also love the caricatures of the "old" movie stars in the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies cartoons.

Of course, they were current movie stars when the cartoons were made.

1. Edward G. Robinson... I can't think of the woman

2. Peter Lorre

3. James Stewart and...

4. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and George Raft

5. Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland

6. Cary Grant and Greta Garbo

7. not sure... thinking possibly Bette Davis for the woman

8. Henry Fonda

9. Clark Gable

10. Ann Sheridan ?

Later in the cartoon, my boy Errol makes an appearance ;-) He cat-calls the pretty girl/Groucho.

Can anyone identify all of the stars being caricatured?

The women in #1 is Ann Sheridan.    The gal in #3 is Dorothy Lamour.  The women in #7 is Sonja Henie ( the guy being Tyrone Power and both where Fox stars which is a clue to all of the parings).

#10 is Lucy?? 

Yes, I can identify all except this one (I'll let someone else have the fun of naming them).

By the way, if memory serves me correctly, that "damsel" hiding behind the fan with Gable turns out to be Groucho Marx.

I believe the hat-check girl is Paulette Goddard, Tom.

And now, can somebody answer THIS:

The waiter bringing the check to the table of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland...might that be a caricature of Eric Blore?

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that this coat check girl may be just that - a coat check girl, and not intended as a caricature of a star.

I always found it interesting that the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were willing to do caricatures of non-Warners stars like Garbo and Gable, and didn't stick entirely to their own money makers. (MGM cartoons, for example, only did caricatures of their own stars, I believe).

Part of the reason for this, though, I suspect, is that Jack Warner didn't take the animated part of his studio too seriously and didn't pay much attention to what his animators were doing. Thus, the name for their decrepit facilities where they created their cartoons, Termite Terrace.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that this coat check girl may be just that - a coat check girl, and not intended as a caricature of a star.

Perhaps.  If we can't figure it out, I like your answer.  That way, we have figured it out!

Or maybe Rita Hayworth?

Hey, you could also be right!    Note that my wild guess was Lucile Ball but that is only due to the fact the gal is a redhead and looks tall.

A large bird's-eye view of Los Angeles is shown with beams of light moving to a conga beat. The action takes place in the famed Ciro's nightclub, where the Hollywood stars are having dinner - at $50 ($801.7 today) a plate and "easy terms". The first stars seen are Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche and, at a table behind them, Adolphe Menjou and Norma Shearer, followed by Cary Grant, seated alone. Grant talks to himself: “What a place! What a place! It’s as pretty as a picture. But if I ever told my favorite wife the awful truth I'd land right on the front page. Yessireee Bobby.” (All these jokes are references to some of his films, except The Front Page which does not star Grant, but was remade as His Girl Friday in 1940, a film that does star him).

Then Greta Garbo comes along selling "cigars, cigarettes, butts." Grant buys some, tossing a quarter ($4.01 today) into her tray and asks her for a light. Garbo lifts her enormous foot on the table and strikes a match on the shoe, then lights Grant’s cigarette. Garbo is considered even today to have been an extremely beautiful woman, but she did have very large feet, and this was caricatured repeatedly in Warner Brothers cartoons of the era.

In the next scene Edward G. Robinson asks Ann Sheridan: "How’s the Oomph girl tonight?" Sheridan responds by uttering the word "Oomph" several times. Her final "Oomph" surprises Robinson. (Sheridan was a sex symbol known as the "Oomph" girl in those years.)

The camera then tracks past some tables: the first one has Henry Binder and Leon Schlesinger sitting there as an in-joke, while the soundtrack quotes "Merrily We Roll Along" - the theme to the Merrie Melodies series. (Schlesinger was producer for the Looney Tunes cartoons and Binder was his assistant.) The camera shows some other tables which are reserved for people: Bette Davis, a large sofa for Kate Smith (a well known singer at the time, noted for her ample girth), and the last table isn't reserved for movie actors at all, but for comic strip (and movie and radio) characters: Blondie, Dagwood, and Baby Dumpling, with a fire hydrant for Daisy the dog.

Meanwhile, in the cloakroom Johnny Weissmuller has arrived. He leaves his overcoat behind to reveal his Tarzan outfit - with the single addition of tuxedo collar and black tie. Sally Rand (famous for her striptease acts and fan dance), leaves her trademark feather "fans" behind and leaves presumably naked, as only her hands are seen and not her entire self-figure. The hatcheck girl is Paulette Goddard.

goddardpaulette03.jpg

• Like 1

And speaking of THE BASHFUL BUZZARD...

Here again we have another example of Carl Stalling incorporating a hit song from that era into his score of W-B cartoons.

It may not be in this particular short, but in another one featuring our inept little feathered friend here, Stalling's orchestra plays and the character sings fractured lyrics to Johnny Mercer's "Blues in the Night". and a song Stalling would incorporate into many different cartoon scores.

(...in fact, and once again, it's probably only been within the last thirty years or so that I discovered the REAL lyrics to Mercer's song didn't go: "My momma done tol' me, to kill me a rabbit..."!!!)  LOL

Do you know why they show her as a hatcheck girl?  e.g. was that one of her more famous roles in a film?

It really doesn't look like Goddard to me or any other star of the era (but I'm not saying it isn't).

Since Goddard didn't have any obvious standout features or props one could use in a cartoon that I know of (just a dang good looking gal),   are any clues given?  e.g.  a line related to Chaplin????  

I think Rich has something when he links Bugs and co. to the Marx Brothers. Even though one's a cartoon and the other's "real" (but then, those Marx guys can be pretty cartoonish !) they both have the same manic, throw- anything -into-the-pot, hilarious comedy. Puns, goofy faces, lots of physical slapstick (of course in the case of Bugs, he's immortal, no amount of falls or whackings can keep him down), fast action, disguises, and perhaps best of all, a healthy disrespect for stodginess.

MV5BMTc0Njc3NDc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkz

They're bonkers, in the best way possible.

bugs_bunny_cartoon-4828.gif

"Can't catch me !"

Do you know why they show her as a hatcheck girl?  e.g. was that one of her more famous roles in a film?

It really doesn't look like Goddard to me or any other star of the era (but I'm not saying it isn't).

Since Goddard didn't have any obvious standout features or props one could use in a cartoon that I know of (just a dang good looking gal),   are any clues given?  e.g.  a line related to Chaplin????  

The voice used (in addition to the resemblance to Goddard's nose, mouth, eyes and hairstyle) was a big clue.

Sara Berner voiced  Greta Garbo, Ann Sheridan, Paulette Goddard, and Dorothy Lamour in "Hollywood Steps Out."

The hatcheck girl is Paulette Goddard.

Holden, I don't know your source on that writeup.

However, I just dug out my Warners DVD set and watched Hollywood Steps Out. There is no indication that the coat check girl is anyone except a coat check girl, from what I could see. There are no "inside" references of any kind to Goddard, nor do I think it particularly looks like Paulette (sorry, Dargo).

I'm not trying to be stubborn about this (after all, it's a pretty small issue).

If you have a source that says it's supposed to be Goddard, well, fine. But I defy anyone who knows Paulette Goddard to watch this cartoon and say that it's supposed to be her. I don't think this particular image is a star caricature.

By the way, I say this as a Paulette Goddard fan.

The voice used (in addition to the resemblance to Goddard's nose, mouth, eyes and hairstyle) was a big clue.

Sara Berner voiced  Greta Garbo, Ann Sheridan, Paulette Goddard, and Dorothy Lamour in "Hollywood Steps Out."

Not to me, and I just listened to it.

...they both have the same manic, throw- anything -into-the-pot, hilarious comedy. Puns, goofy faces, lots of physical slapstick (of course in the case of Bugs, he's immortal, no amount of falls or whackings can keep him down), fast action, disguises, and perhaps best of all, a healthy disrespect for stodginess.

Yeah, and someday I hope to incorporate some of that stuff into my postings around here.

(...but as you've probably noticed MissW, being the rather shy and demure type, It'll probably take me YEARS before I'll loosen up enough around here to try any of that...especially that "throw-anything-into-the-pot" and "puns" stuff!)  ;)

Yeah, and someday I hope to incorporate some of that stuff into my postings around here.

(...but as you've probably noticed MissW, being the rather shy and demure type, It'll probably take me YEARS before I'll loosen up enough around here to try any of that...especially that "throw-anything-into-the-pot" and "puns" stuff!)   ;)

Right, Dargo, you're "mild"  rather than "wild". Let's hope you never get "riled".

(Puns and jokes from Dargo? Shirley not!)

I always found it interesting that the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were willing to do caricatures of non-Warners stars like Garbo and Gable, and didn't stick entirely to their own money makers. (MGM cartoons, for example, only did caricatures of their own stars, I believe).

Part of the reason for this, though, I suspect, is that Jack Warner didn't take the animated part of his studio too seriously and didn't pay much attention to what his animators were doing. Thus, the name for their decrepit facilities where they created their cartoons, Termite Terrace.

This topic and cartoon representations sort of remind me of Marge Champion, the beautiful dancer we have all seen in Show Boat.

http://classiccinemaimages.com/marge-champion/marge-champion/

Marge-Champion-1-400x486.jpg

She was in other cartoons already, so who knows.

http://imgarcade.com/1/marge-champion-snow-white/

3i38o3ppc3kchh0h32vf.jpeg

...Let's hope you never get "riled".

Guess you didn't happen to catch how I got "riled" in Freddy's "Seven Days in May" is Real" thread over in the Chit-Chat forum the other day, and fell hook, line and sinker for what I now believe to be somebody around here creating a fake persona just to post a sardonically written reply in it, and in which I was too damn slow on the ol' uptake to understand that! LOL

(...I'm STILL wonderin' who the heck that was around here???...my hat's now off to 'em!...anybody wanna fess up here?) ;)

• Like 1

Guess you didn't happen to catch how I got "riled" in Freddy's "Seven Days in May" is Real" thread over in the Chit-Chat forum the other day, and fell hook, line and sinker for what I now believe to be somebody around here creating a fake persona just to post a sardonically written reply in it, and in which I was too damn slow on the ol' uptake to understand that! LOL

(...I'm STILL wonderin' who the heck that was around here???...my hat's now off to 'em!...anybody wanna fess up here?) ;)

Actually, Darg, I was alluding to the new 20th Century Vole production coming up, "The Mild One". All about motorcycles and one milquetoast's efforts to overcome nerd-omovosous.

Actually, Darg, I was alluding to the new 20th Century Vole production coming up, "The Mild One". All about motorcycles and one milquetoast's efforts to overcome nerd-omovosous.

AAAAH! Of course!

(...there I go bein' slow on the ol' uptake again, EH?!) ;)

A large bird's-eye view of Los Angeles is shown with beams of light moving to a conga beat. The action takes place in the famed Ciro's nightclub, where the Hollywood stars are having dinner - at $50 ($801.7 today) a plate and "easy terms". The first stars seen are Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche and, at a table behind them, Adolphe Menjou and Norma Shearer, followed by Cary Grant, seated alone. Grant talks to himself: “What a place! What a place! It’s as pretty as a picture. But if I ever told my favorite wife the awful truth I'd land right on the front page. Yessireee Bobby.” (All these jokes are references to some of his films, except The Front Page which does not star Grant, but was remade as His Girl Friday in 1940, a film that does star him).

Then Greta Garbo comes along selling "cigars, cigarettes, butts." Grant buys some, tossing a quarter ($4.01 today) into her tray and asks her for a light. Garbo lifts her enormous foot on the table and strikes a match on the shoe, then lights Grant’s cigarette. Garbo is considered even today to have been an extremely beautiful woman, but she did have very large feet, and this was caricatured repeatedly in Warner Brothers cartoons of the era.

In the next scene Edward G. Robinson asks Ann Sheridan: "How’s the Oomph girl tonight?" Sheridan responds by uttering the word "Oomph" several times. Her final "Oomph" surprises Robinson. (Sheridan was a sex symbol known as the "Oomph" girl in those years.)

The camera then tracks past some tables: the first one has Henry Binder and Leon Schlesinger sitting there as an in-joke, while the soundtrack quotes "Merrily We Roll Along" - the theme to the Merrie Melodies series. (Schlesinger was producer for the Looney Tunes cartoons and Binder was his assistant.) The camera shows some other tables which are reserved for people: Bette Davis, a large sofa for Kate Smith (a well known singer at the time, noted for her ample girth), and the last table isn't reserved for movie actors at all, but for comic strip (and movie and radio) characters: Blondie, Dagwood, and Baby Dumpling, with a fire hydrant for Daisy the dog.

Meanwhile, in the cloakroom Johnny Weissmuller has arrived. He leaves his overcoat behind to reveal his Tarzan outfit - with the single addition of tuxedo collar and black tie. Sally Rand (famous for her striptease acts and fan dance), leaves her trademark feather "fans" behind and leaves presumably naked, as only her hands are seen and not her entire self-figure. The hatcheck girl is Paulette Goddard.

Brilliant stuff. I remember this cartoon well, or at least think I do.

I didn't realize The Merry Go Round Broke Down was not the only theme, but now hear the difference with the Merrie Melodies tune.

My fave is still Bugs, underwater, parodying Now, Voyager, replete with bra and mermaid bottom. Of course, these cartoons weren't as daring as those of the Brothers Fleischer, but realizing that all the Baby Boomers grew up with these bizarro images burned into their brains, it's a wonder we turned out so well.  :wacko:

What do the kiddies of today have to screw up their psyches? 

Kate Smith (a well known singer at the time ------ Really? So the youts of today won't know that she belted out God Bless America? Sad.

Guess no use asking them if they knew who Sophie Tucker or Vera Lynn were. And no, I don't care to know the names of the rappers, because they're all bums.

That bit about Garbo in that cartoon is hilarious. Much was made of her feet back in those days, but they werent that big according to her body size. I think I read somewhere she wore a size seven. I've often looked at her feet in various films and they really arent gigantic. Size seven is nothing today.

That bit about Garbo in that cartoon is hilarious. Much was made of her feet back in those days, but they werent that big according to her body size. I think I read somewhere she wore a size seven. I've often looked at her feet in various films and they really arent gigantic. Size seven is nothing today.

Size 7 in modern sizes? Or size 7 in 1930s sizes? I think sizes were done differently back then. People wore sizes like 4B and 1B. If Garbo's giant feet were in fact a modern size seven, then I have huge feet too. I wear anything from a 6 1/2 to 8 depending on the shoe.

Size 7 in modern sizes? Or size 7 in 1930s sizes? I think sizes were done differently back then. People wore sizes like 4B and 1B. If Garbo's giant feet were in fact a modern size seven, then I have huge feet too. I wear anything from a 6 1/2 to 8 depending on the shoe.

Size 7 in 30s sizes.

Ironically ladies, I understand Bugs here always wore a women's size 7 also...BugsBunny_adp.jpg

But then again of course, whenever playing the more "Southern" roles, he often went harefoo..err..I mean barefooted...

560917_372195632848327_1734493104_n.jpg

Bugs-Bunny-in-Drag-Cartoon-Characters-in

(...ya know, while I personally have never been all that swayed by Southern women, I have to say I think Bugs never looked cuter than when he was playing this little hillbilly chick here...maybe it's the red lipstick...I've always thought red lipstick on a girl, or I guess a rabbit in this case, makes 'em look especially hot!!!)

• Like 1