Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ISLAND OF TERROR tonite on svengoolie

NipkowDisc

that's a good one. good acting at a good pace. I can't watch the scene where cushing gets his hand chopped off. too squeamish I be. :o  

tonite's lost in space ep is "his majesty, smith". not sure but I think this is the ep where the good smith duplicate insists that everyone call him "daddy zack". :)

that's a good one. good acting at a good pace. I can't watch the scene where cushing gets his hand chopped off. too squeamish I be. :o  

tonite's lost in space ep is "his majesty, smith". not sure but I think this is the ep where the good smith duplicate insists that everyone call him "daddy zack". :)

Did those monsters with a hose move at a snail's pace? I didn't stick around long enough, since it stunk, but it seemed that they could be outrun. Much like zombies.

And when one of the speedsters had Cushing by the hand, couldn't that other no-name guy have smashed the monster(?) with the ax, instead of cutting off Cushing's hand?

P.U. Even Rich looked bored.

Did those monsters with a hose move at a snail's pace? I didn't stick around long enough, since it stunk, but it seemed that they could be outrun. Much like zombies.

And when one of the speedsters had Cushing by the hand, couldn't that other no-name guy have smashed the monster(?) with the ax, instead of cutting off Cushing's hand?

P.U. Even Rich looked bored.

I only caught about ten minutes of it later in the film, what a bore it seemed. I never saw such lame-looking monsters! I did catch the hand-chopping scene and wondered the same thing.

I only caught about ten minutes of it later in the film, what a bore it seemed. I never saw such lame-looking monsters! I did catch the hand-chopping scene and wondered the same thing.

you hafta sit through the whole film to understand that the silicates' outer shell is inpenetrable. earlier eddie byrne took a wack at one with an ax which just bounced off and poor eddie byrne playing dr. landers gets his calcium phosphate sucked out. all you hafta do is give the lame special effects a pass and it is really quite passable fare. space cadets can easily do that while arrogant know-it-all cinemaphiles have trouble along those lines. :D

you hafta sit through the whole film to understand that the silicates' outer shell is inpenetrable. earlier eddie byrne took a wack at one with an ax which just bounced off and poor eddie byrne playing dr. landers gets his calcium phosphate sucked out. all you hafta do is give the lame special effects a pass and it is really quite passable fare. space cadets can easily do that while arrogant know-it-all cinemaphiles have trouble along those lines. :D

I take pride in falling into the latter category, though I generally love even the trashiest horror films more than almost any other genre. I'm one of those who is really thankful that they showed the demon in Night (aka Curse) of the Demon -- I think it's brilliant! I just didn't have time to watch the whole thing last night. Also, with a few exceptions, I find the director Terence Fisher's films to be rather stodgy. I think Ed Wood would have done a better (i.e. worse) job with Island of Terror.

I take pride in falling into the latter category, though I generally love even the trashiest horror films more than almost any other genre. I'm one of those who is really thankful that they showed the demon in Night (aka Curse) of the Demon -- I think it's brilliant! I just didn't have time to watch the whole thing last night. Also, with a few exceptions, I find the director Terence Fisher's films to be rather stodgy. I think Ed Wood would have done a better (i.e. worse) job with Island of Terror.

I too am glad that they showed the demon...twice! :lol: cinemaphiles doan think we shoulda since the demon even once. they like to talk about certain things beiong left to the imagination. hey, why even have cinema at all then? I personally think the silicates were well-conceived but they didn't have cgi in 1966. so whatta want? space cadets understand the limitations of the times and makes suitable allowances while the cinemaphile rejects something outright with no consideration of the filmmakers limitations. island of terror is good. :)

So some days you like Rich, and other days you don't like Rich?

How about lassoo'ing the creepy crawlies by their ooglie googlie necks and throwing them into a vat of acid? 

Presto chango, no more ooglie googlies. :D

How about lassoo'ing the creepy crawlies by their ooglie googlie necks and throwing them into a vat of acid? 

acid? strontium 90 be a lot more fun. :)

I never like Rich but when he shows a good film, many will watch it instead of tcm. take next week for instance, Rich be favoring us with REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. if tcm woan show them, Rich will. is it his fault that tcm chooses to remain so arbitrarily repetitive against all rhyme and reason beating unceasingly into the ground the same exact ever unchanging catalog of films with no end in sight? it is not. :)

I never like Rich but when he shows a good film, many will watch it instead of tcm. take next week for instance, Rich be favoring us with REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. if tcm woan show them, Rich will. is it his fault that tcm chooses to remain so arbitrarily repetitive against all rhyme and reason beating unceasingly into the ground the same exact ever unchanging catalog of films with no end in sight? it is not. :)

is it his fault that tcm chooses to remain so arbitrarily repetitive against all rhyme and reason beating unceasingly into the ground the same exact ever unchanging catalog of films with no end in sight?

Absotively, posilutely not!

The best part of Sven's show?

When he does those "The actor/actress playing such-and-such in tonight's movie is such-and-such, and was probably best remembered as playing such-and-such in the movie such-and-such" segments.

The best part of Sven's show?

When he does those "The actor/actress playing such-and-such in tonight's movie is such-and-such, and was probably best remembered as playing such-and-such in the movie such-and-such" segments.

Do you think he'd be a good replacement when RO retires?

Do you think he'd be a good replacement when RO retires?

Ya know Swithin, Mr. Koz could be I suppose. He does come across as affable enough, and his oratory skills while doing those segments and when he's not fully into his comic Sven shtick are actually pretty good.

The slate of films the last couple of months has been really bad. Just painfully bad, not entertainingly bad. I couldnt get through several of them. Skipped a few. The worst were the Aquanetta ones. Hope the schedule improves.

I too am glad that they showed the demon...twice!  ...they like to talk about certain things beiong left to the imagination...

This has been my contention as well.  Hey - if ya don't wanna show the monster, go make CLOVERFIELD.  61 seconds of Monster in a 102-minute film!  Sheesh!

Nip, you'd also mentioned having the calcium phosphate sucked out.  Yeah.  I hate that when it happens.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings