Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RICH'S MADE-UP TCM GENERAL DISCUSSION POLLS

..and my unbeloved Latin professor appropriately taught a dead language with a dead personality.

Sounds distinctly like Andrew Crocker-Harris, aka Him mler of the lower fifth.  The antithesis of Mr. Chips as latin teacher.

Note: Who would have thought Him mler would be a no-no?

Sounds distinctly like Andrew Crocker-Harris, aka **** of the lower fifth.  The antithesis of Mr. Chips as latin teacher.

..and my unbeloved Latin professor appropriately taught a dead language with a dead personality.

I think my classmates and I were very lucky. As his name suggests, Dr. Damico was of Italian descent, and he efficiently ran the class with a steel fist in a velvet glove. He was in charge, and he never left anyone a crumb of a reason to question that arrangement. He never cut anyone any slack – you had to fully earn your A – but he would always gladly help the students with whatever they were having trouble understanding. He was also one of the most intelligent and most cerebrally funny people I have ever met. We never made it through a class without at least five or six good guffaws. He wasn’t a Chips – you weren’t going to be invited to his house for tea – but he was certainly one of the greats.

And speaking of Latin instructors who are not of the Chip’s ilk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEcCyQYKcY

• Like 1

If you watch any of his performances, it really does appear his voice is dubbed, or a little out of sync.

I think that Martin Stephens dubbed his own voice in THE OTHERS.

It's not out of sync but something gives that impression to me.

Actually, even the idea of a TV repairman showing up on time is astounding.

Nowadays it would be cheaper just to buy a new one.  Something to think about when penning the remake?

Think of all those old but theoretically repairable television sets being thrown away. Apparently there's a lot of electronic and even chemical waste in them that is horrible for the environment.

In fact, not to derail , but all the electronics that get thrown away and just sit around in some waste site seeping out their toxic substances is kind of worrying.

But I don't want to derail this into a "Let's talk about everything wrong with the environment" thread. Aside from anything else, it would never end, and so we'd never get back to Rich's delightful polls, a much more enjoyable topic.

Untitled_zpswej9jmqf.png

I think Phil Silvers got the accent bang on as Marcus Lycus in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  And he took his glasses off for the part.  Methinks the Method twere at work.

Nowadays it would be cheaper just to buy a new one.  Something to think about when penning the remake?

Right. In 2015, can someone actually earn a living as a TV repairman? Not exactly a hot occupation. "Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be a TV repairman". "Timmy, you might be better off becoming a milkman"..

Right. In 2015, can someone actually earn a living as a TV repairman? Not exactly a hot occupation. "Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be a TV repairman". "Timmy, you might be better off becoming a milkman"..

I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the downturn in employment opportunities for this position began, aren't we?!

(...uh-huh...the day our Dads found that little stand at the local drug store and where after he'd pull a few suspected failed vacuum tubes out of the back of that Zenith or RCA TV sitting in our living rooms, he'd then take 'em to that aforementioned little stand and test those tubes to see which one(s) had burnt out)

tube_tester.jpg

• Like 1

When I was a wee kid I remember trying to get my father's attention ..."Hey, dad, dad ... the television is on fire."

And sure it was.  Some of the tubes had shorted out.  

A friend of mine had a father who made him stand beside the television with his hands on the rabbit ears to control the reception.

When I was a wee kid I remember trying to get my father's attention ..."Hey, dad, dad ... the television is on fire."

And sure it was.  Some of the tubes had shorted out.  

A friend of mine had a father who made him stand beside the television with his hands on the rabbit ears to control the reception.

Yeah, I remember a family down the street had the same thing happen to them.

(...and re the "Antenna Kid"...while we always had one of those nifty rooftop antennas, I DO remember being my Dad's "remote control" back then...in fact, I can't tell you how many times he'd blurt out to me, "HEY! Don't spin that channel changer dial around so damn fast! You'll wear out the contacts on it!")

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember a family down the street had the same thing happen to them.

(...and re the "Antenna Kid"...while we always had one of those nifty rooftop antennas, I DO remember being my Dad's "remote control" back then...in fact, I can't tell you how many times he'd blurt out to me, "HEY! Don't spin that channel changer dial around so damn fast! You'll wear out the contacts on it!")

HEE hee...George Lopez said that "I was the remote" thing in a routine of his a few years ago.  I laughed because I was, too! :D

Sepiatone

What about the category "Art Film" ? since it has that art auction scene.  (Plus, it's a little-known fact that  NBNW was a favourite of Art Garfunkle and Art Linkletter.)

I would put in the sub-category of Westerns known as Northwesterns.

• Like 1