Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This Thread Is Now Closed

darkblue

Another thread closed - this time with no attacks on anybody whatsoever. One member posted a whole host of comments today - nobody answered, so as not to cause any problems, but still the thread gets closed with the message:

This thread is now closed. These types of extended attacks on any member are not constructive to the community, nor do they off a means for a productive discussion. 

Attacks??

Very familiar wording style, too - can't quite put my finger on where I seem to have seen it before.

Oh, well. Wasn't a real important thread anyway. Lots of other better topics to engage in.

• Like 5

I wanted to respond to Sepiatone in that thread about my lame SNL joke about the difference between symphonies and concertos but cannot do so now because it is locked.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this authoritarianism.

• Like 1

Another thread closed - this time with no attacks on anybody whatsoever. One member posted a whole host of comments today - nobody answered, so as not to cause any problems, but still the thread gets closed with the message:

This thread is now closed. These types of extended attacks on any member are not constructive to the community, nor do they off a means for a productive discussion. 

Attacks??

Very familiar wording style, too - can't quite put my finger on where I seem to have seen it before.

Oh, well. Wasn't a real important thread anyway. Lots of other better topics to engage in.

This thread will itself be closed shortly, I'm sure. Better rev up a new thread just in case.

Nah.

The dead horse thing, know what I mean?

Speaking of dead Horses, have you ever read Robert Klane's The Horse Is Dead.?  I picked it up as it had a Jack Benny quote on the jacket, boasting "The funniest book I have ever read."  Very racy and funny book.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just borrowed Jack's name for that endorsement.

Attacks??

It does seem things get "touchy" very quickly. I posted a thread last week just suggesting that the threads titled "Don't miss (fill in the blank)" were a little lazy as these don't seem to lend themselves to much discussion - the point of the site. I didn't think it was all that offensive. Lord knows I've seen worse. Next time I signed on it was gone. Gee, aren't we allowed to have opinions on the quality of the threads at all? I suppose this post will be gone soon and my apologies if this post actually murders the thread.

It does seem things get "touchy" very quickly. I posted a thread last week just suggesting that the threads titled "Don't miss (fill in the blank)" were a little lazy as these don't seem to lend themselves to much discussion - the point of the site. I didn't think it was all that offensive. Lord knows I've seen worse. Next time I signed on it was gone. Gee, aren't we allowed to have opinions on the quality of the threads at all? I suppose this post will be gone soon and my apologies if this post actually murders the thread.

Some people can only give criticism, not take it - and offense is conditional to the thinness of the skin.

The answer has become clear. Provide hunger.

Speaking of dead Horses, have you ever read Robert Klane's The Horse Is Dead.?  I picked it up as it had a Jack Benny quote on the jacket, boasting "The funniest book I have ever read."  Very racy and funny book.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just borrowed Jack's name for that endorsement.

Well, if the book was written post-1980, they probably DID just borrow Jack Benny's name.

It might be helpful if you provided a mathematical formula.

y = k/x, where y = amount of offense, x = thickness of skin, and k is a positive constant (to be determined). Thus, as thickness increases, offense approaches zero, and as thickness decreases (approaches thinness), offense approaches infinity. Or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

• Like 3

Attacks??

Oh, well. Wasn't a real important thread anyway. Lots of other better topics to engage in.eEmphasis above by laffite

emphasis above by laffite

The notion crossed my mind as well ... but I doubt the implication is actually true.

y = k/x, where y = amount of offense, x = thickness of skin, and k is a positive constant (to be determined). Thus, as thickness increases, offense approaches zero, and as thickness decreases (approaches thinness), offense approaches infinity. Or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Isn't one o' those variables supposed to have a spin?   ..  or is that just when two or more posters collide?

..so you monitor "thread views" like a certain other person?

Rich didn't say that. He wrote it's at a greater risk of being avoided, not that they are Very doubtful Rich cares or checks if threads are viewed or not. Besides, he can figure they probably are since his threads are enjoyed by practically everyone here :)

I had referred to MYSELF as a "Polack".  Certainly, THAT'S not a "personal attack", is it?  Except to mySELF, of course!  :P

Sepiatone

I heard on CNN news several days ago that news people can no longer use the term Paddy Wagon because it is a derogatory racist term.

I swear this is true.

Seems that the term "Paddy" is a reference to a common first name of Irish men in New York in the 19th Century.

The current approved substitute for the old term is now Transport Van. However, I suspect this might possibly be a racist insult against all men named Van, such as Van Johnson.