Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Elizabeth Wilson has died

Barton_Keyes

Character actress Elizabeth Wilson has died at the age of 94.

A veteran of stage, film and television, Ms. Wilson made her Broadway debut in the 1953 production of William Inge's PICNIC, reprising her supporting role in the 1955 film of the same name.

A favorite performer of director Mike Nichols, Wilson acted for him in four films and a Broadway play, most notably as Dustin Hoffman's  mother in THE GRADUATE (1967).

Her specialty may have been playing mothers. She also portrayed Ralph Fiennes' mother in the 1994 Robert Redford-directed drama QUIZ SHOW. Her final performance in any medium was as the mother of Franklin Roosevelt (as played with surprising effectiveness by Bill Murray) in 2012's HYDE PARK ON HUDSON.

However, Wilson is likely best remembered for her most substantial film role as the distinctly non-motherly office gossip in the 1980 comedy NINE TO FIVE.

Wilson is remembered by The New York Times here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/arts/television/elizabeth-wilson-a-character-actress-of-stage-screen-and-tv-dies-at-94.html?_r=1

Thanks for the notice, Barton.

I thought Elizabeth Wilson was very good in Patterns (1956) and as you mentioned Hyde Park on the Hudson (2012).

I had the occasion to vote for her in the supporting actress category for the latter.  You were allowed five noms.  But, I don't think she was one that the studio was trying to push and you need that if you are going to get noticed for these blinking awards.

Character actress Elizabeth Wilson has died at the age of 94.

A veteran of stage, film and television, Ms. Wilson made her Broadway debut in the 1953 production of William Inge's PICNIC, reprising her supporting role in the 1955 film of the same name.

A favorite performer of director Mike Nichols, Wilson acted for him in four films and a Broadway play, most notably as Dustin Hoffman's  mother in THE GRADUATE (1967).

I remember her for another Nichols film, Catch-22. She is part of a family who visit the camp to see their son in the hospital. But Doc Daneeka has misplaced the soldier's body, so he wheedles Yossarian into "playing" him. The resulting scene was memorably absurd, and even in a very small role Wilson got all the laughs possible out of it.

However, Wilson is likely best remembered for her most substantial film role as the distinctly non-motherly office gossip in the 1980 comedy NINE TO FIVE.

Yeah, I have seen her in many things, but she will always be Roz to me.  She's such a delight in that role, and in the special feature for the 25th anniversary DVD release.  It's also nice to hear the three stars all gush about her; she's one of those people everyone seemed to enjoy working with.