Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (1970)

The Boys in the Band is one of my favorite movies -- a "desert island must-have" (don't ask me how'd I watch movies on a desert island)!

A close friend (who later revealed to me that he was gay) introduced me to TBitB, which was routinely shown at a  Los Angeles revival movie theatre, always paired with the equally essential The Ruling Class.

For me, the remake showing on Netflix was unimpressive, considerably and abysmally paling by comparison.

I love Mart Crowley's play so much that, besides owning the 1970 movie on Blu-ray Disc, I also have the play on an album featuring the original Broadway cast. A precious gem, it contains dialogue that is not in the movie. Highly recommended (by me) listening! IMO, Crowley's eminently quotable "libretto" and acid-tongued humor is on par with the wit of Oscar Wilde.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

The Boys in the Band is one of my favorite movies -- a "desert island must-have" (don't ask me how'd I watch movies on a desert island)!

A close friend (who later revealed to me that he was gay) introduced me to TBitB, which was routinely shown at a  Los Angeles revival movie theatre, always paired with the equally essential The Ruling Class.

For me, the remake showing on Netflix was unimpressive, considerably and abysmally paling by comparison.

I love Mart Crowley's play so much that, besides owning the 1970 movie on Blu-ray Disc, I also have the play on an album featuring the original Broadway cast. A precious gem, it contains dialogue that is not in the movie. Highly recommended (by me) listening! IMO, Crowley's eminently quotable "libretto" and acid-tongued humor is on par with the wit of Oscar Wilde.

I did not see the made for Netflix re make but I did see the Broadway production which was excellent- the original cast is perfect they are a hard act to follow

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I did not see the made for Netflix re make but I did see the Broadway production which was excellent- the original cast is perfect they are a hard act to follow

jaragon,

You saw the 2018 Broadway production, correct? Not the 1968 off-Broadway production, correct?

I suspect that had I seen the 2018 revival on the stage, I might have been more receptive to it. I've found stage plays more captivating, thrilling, and satisfying than filmed adaptations . . . in most cases*. To have seen the original 1968 cast on stage would have been an exciting, memorable experience!

* I saw a stage production of Dracula starring Martin Landau that was extremely disappointing. On the flip side, every stage version of Mamma Mia! that I've seen was superior to the movie version.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

jaragon,

You saw the 2018 Broadway production, correct? Not the 1968 off-Broadway production, correct?

I suspect that had I seen the 2018 revival on the stage, I might have been more receptive to it. I've found stage plays more captivating, thrilling, and satisfying than filmed adaptations . . . in most cases*. To have seen the original 1968 cast on stage would have been an exciting, memorable experience!

* I saw a stage production of Dracula starring Martin Landau that was extremely disappointing. On the flip side, every stage version of Mamma Mia! that I've seen was superior to the movie version.

Yes I saw the 2018 Broadway production - the cast was excellent and you got to see Matt Bomer in person who yes is that beautiful in real life- they made a one act play and it moved very fast and was memorable night in the theater.   I would love to see a stage version of "Dracula"