Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROPE

HoldenIsHere

I don't know, Holden, but it seems to me it was fairly recently (like, sometime this year.)

You have to admire Hitch for making such an usual film. It's interesting to see John Dahl playing such a vile character when you  compare the role to the one he played in "Gun Crazy", where, despite his lawless status, he was a gentle soul.

Anyway - I just looked it up, and I'm afraid it doesn't appear to be scheduled to air again anytime soon.

That reminds me of one of my favourite movie lines.  Anne Baxter in The Ten Commandments:

"Moses, Moses, Moses .."

And THAT reminds ME of the time my future wife and I were at my parents home for Easter dinner.

That flick is shown every year on ABC ya know, and as we were watching it that night, my wife and I looked at each other just as Baxter emoted that line, and then just couldn't help from chuckling out loud.

Well, that movie was always one of my mother's favorites, and so she turned to us and said, "WHAT is so funny?". And so I tired to explain to her that this movie is, well, "kind'a schmaltzy".

Well, good ol' Mom would have nothin' of THAT, and indignantly replied to me, "Well, I'll have YOU know that THIS is one of THE greatest movie ever MADE! And so there is NOTHING at all 'funny' about ANY of it!"

I then replied back to her, "Ummm, yeah sure Mom. Whatever ya say." and then "borrowed" a part of an old Billy Crystal routine where he mimics Edward G. Robinson saying, "M'yeah SEE?! Where's your messiah now, SEE?!

(...needless to say, Mom found even LESS humor in THAT!!!) LOL

• Like 2

I then replied back to her, "Ummm, yeah sure Mom. Whatever ya say." and then "borrowed" a part of an old Billy Crystal routine where he mimics Edward G. Robinson saying, "M'yeah SEE?! Where's your messiah now, SEE?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!   My sides are splitting.

"Dance you mud turtles!" (cracking his whip)

And THAT reminds ME of the time my future wife and I were at my parents home for Easter dinner.

That flick is shown every year on ABC ya know, and as we were watching it that night, my wife and I looked at each other just as Baxter emoted that line, and then just couldn't help from chuckling out loud.

Well, that movie was always one of my mother's favorites, and so she turned to us and said, "WHAT is so funny?". And so I tired to explain to her that this movie is, well, "kind'a schmaltzy".

Well, good ol' Mom would have nothin' of THAT, and indignantly replied to me, "Well, I'll have YOU know that THIS is one of THE greatest movie ever MADE! And so there is NOTHING at all 'funny' about ANY of it!"

...and I, Dathan, will lead them back to Pharoah and back to the brick pits!

I don't know, Holden, but it seems to me it was fairly recently (like, sometime this year.)

You have to admire Hitch for making such an usual film. It's interesting to see John Dahl playing such a vile character when you  compare the role to the one he played in "Gun Crazy", where, despite his lawless status, he was a gentle soul.

I agree with you about John Dahl in GUN CRAZY.

This has nothing to do with Rope, but it is inspired by the dialogue below about The Ten Commandments...

I was thinking about The Greatest Story Ever Told and specifically casting the Duke as the Roman Centurion who puts Christ to the cross.

You never see the Duke until the very end when he says "Well, I guess he really was the son of God."  Hilarious.

But left me wondering afterward why there were no shots of the Duke during the lead up to the cross and I wondered if there was ever an alternative cut of the film that was played for test audiences?

I can just imagine.  Dramatic music score.  Christ getting whipped as he staggers up the crowd lined lane and suddenly everyone in the audience gasps, "Oh my gosh, it's John Wayne!"  And what's more, he's whipping Jesus.

Holden, have you seen Compulsion ?  Made in 1959 and directed by Richard Fleischer, it stars Dean Stockwell and Bradford Dillman as the John Dahl and Farley Granger characters who kill "as an intellectual experience". Such an evil and repellant idea.

Also stars Orson Welles as their lawyer (he's not very James Stewart -like, though.)

Anyway, it's a very similar story idea to Rope, which of course came out about 10 years earlier.

Both films are, apparently, based on an actual murder by two college youths in the 1920s.

And then of course, there's Raskolnikov.

Holden, have you seen Compulsion ?  Made in 1959 and directed by Richard Fleischer, it stars Dean Stockwell and Bradford Dillman as the John Dahl and Farley Granger characters who kill "as an intellectual experience". Such an evil and repellant idea.

Also stars Orson Welles as their lawyer (he's not very James Stewart -like, though.)

Anyway, it's a very similar story idea to Rope, which of course came out about 10 years earlier.

Both films are, apparently, based on an actual murder by two college youths in the 1920s.

COMPULSION is directly based on the Leopold-Loeb murders. ROPE may have been indirectly inspired by these murders, but the fact pattern is totally different.

I hate Rope, I never saw what the excitement was about this movie, you haven't missed anything. Imagine two dumb punks thinking they are smarter than everyone else by killing someone just to prove how smart they are. I am sure they felt real smart in prison, lol.

I hate Rope, I never saw what the excitement was about this movie,

Looks like they filmed it like a live TV show, with one camera. The plot and dialogue were worth only a half-hour TV show, not a whole hour and 20 minute movie. Very boring.

rope is my favorite alfred hitchcock film. it's great! the technicolor, the window, the decor and arrogant brandon and nervous philip. they strangulate david in the name of space and intellectual superiority and arrange an afternoon dinner party just so brandon can drop clues and the whole affair falls apart because of limpy rupert their mentor. the ending with rupert unmasking their crime and then lecturing them about the senselessness of their act is priceless. I doan care what you guys say, this is a very brilliant and underappreciated little film. never miss it. this can be a tcm pet movie with my hardy approval. :D

"You want space, move to Utah!" -Oscar Madison (jack klugman)

At least North by Northwest has a hot babe in Eva Marie Saint to watch to keep the entertainment value up for multiple viewings. I have never complained about it being on so many times because of her. In my eyes she is stunning in that movie.

Rope I want to take out and hang it myself, lol.

I've never seen COMPULSION in its entirety, but I've seen parts of it when it's aired on TCM before.

I like Dean Stockwell and the scenes I did see of the movie were very compelling.

As you mentioned both ROPE and COMPLUSION were inspired by an actual crime, specifically the Leopold and Loeb case in Chicago in the 1920s.

Both of those movies were fictionalized accounts.

There was a movie in the 1990s called SWOON that presented the story in a factual context, actually calling the characters Leopold and Loeb (rather than the fictitious names used in both ROPE and COMPULSION) and actually depicting them as lovers rather than skirting around their relationship or presenting it subtextually.

I first saw Rope a couple years ago on TCM and really liked it.  It's not my favorite Hitchcock movie, but I like it because it's interesting.  Perhaps more technically interesting than it is storywise, but I really liked it.

I loved the tension that existed throughout most of the film when everyone kept asking where so and so was and his body was in the trunk under the hor d'oeuvres.  The long shots were also very interesting.  I think they only led to the uncomfortableness of the film. 

The problem with the two lead characters is they got too cocky about what they had done.  If they hadn't gotten so confident and arrogant, perhaps James Stewart wouldn't have figured it out.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings