Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cancelled "Trip"; "Alice" forced down our throats

TCM in its wisdom has cancelled the film originally scheduled for Sat. night/Sun. morning 4:15 a.m. (E.D.T.)/3:15 a.m. (C.D.T.) 5/16-17/2015 and substituted a different one.

It cancelled Roger Corman's AIP exploration of the LSD experience, "The Trip," from 1967, and replaced it with one of Peter Sellers's worst films (complete with nagging, yenta-ing Jewish stereotypes, and enough thinly disguised sexism and anti-Semitism to keep the ADL busy for the next 20 years), "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas," from 1968.

I am angered and appalled. TCM has slipped several notches in trustworthiness and worthwhile-ness IMHO.

I don't see how things were much worse.  We could have lost both movies to blank air time, and still been better off.

Speaking of blank air time, I came across something new on the 'telly' while here in the UK.  It is called 'soft tv.'  Ever heard of it?

On one program they just have pov's from boats going down the canals with tranquil music and no voice-overs.

Sort of like looking at a firelog.  It is supposed to be an alternative to all the other frenetic (garbage) on television.

I am angered and appalled.

I am sorry about your pain.

If you are so unhappy with what cable television has scheduled for you to watch, you can turn the channel. Or if nothing interests you, turn off TV and do something else for entertainment.

Rather than complaining to a bunch of people who have zero control over your situation...why not DO something about it?

Once I was disgusted over the price of cable and the substandard quality of product provided for that cost, I just discontinued the "service". Vote with your dollars.

The Seller's movie does represent a "trend" of sorts from (what I called, at the time) "big Hollywood" to cash in on what the young popular culture of the times was "getting into" then.

Apparently, they made the mistake of thinking they could do it better than American International was able to, and most of their efforts, including the TOKLAS film, came off more as PARODIES of both the times and films.

So, BECAUSE the movie was part of what loosely might be considered a "genre" during that period, it "splitting hairs" technically could be called a "classic".

Sepiatone

Speaking of blank air time, I came across something new on the 'telly' while here in the UK.  It is called 'soft tv.'  Ever heard of it?

On one program they just have pov's from boats going down the canals with tranquil music and no voice-overs.

Sort of like looking at a firelog.  It is supposed to be an alternative to all the other frenetic (garbage) on television.

Interesting concept

I am angered and appalled.

I am sorry about your pain.

If you are so unhappy with what cable television has scheduled for you to watch, you can turn the channel. Or if nothing interests you, turn off TV and do something else for entertainment.

Rather than complaining to a bunch of people who have zero control over your situation...why not DO something about it?

Once I was disgusted over the price of cable and the substandard quality of product provided for that cost, I just discontinued the "service". Vote with your dollars.

Well, Tiki, to be fair-- how do we know the OP hasn't "done something" about it in addition to starting this thread...?

Plus, haven't we all been guilty of rantings and ravings...?

Happily I have never seen I LOVE YOU ALICE B. TOKLAS.

I don't care for Peter Sellers at all, but I know he has his fans.

His Goon Show radio stuff is very good if you have the time to seek it out.  With Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe.

I'll try to give THE PARTY a chance.

PS. "There is no gender here" (a line from a movie) but I am a dude.

I think Sellers' best film role other that Strangelove is in I'm All Right Jack with the wonderful Ian Carmichael.  He plays the very strict trade unionist foreman, Fred Kite who is always calling 'his' workers to go out on strike.  It is one of the great British films of the 50's and a complete parody of both sides of the trade unionist silliness that would sometimes bring a whole nation to a standstill in a national strike.

I'm not a fan of Being There unfortunately.  Too schmarmy for me.

Happily I have never seen I LOVE YOU ALICE B. TOKLAS.

I don't care for Peter Sellers at all, but I know he has his fans.

And I'm one of 'em.

But, to each their own.  For the record, my wife doesn't like him, either.  My Mom didn't, too.

Also for the record, BEING THERE, in spite of it's "smarmyness" works for me due to it's level of absurdity.  That a simple minded person like CHANCE  gets to be seen by the most powerful private citizen as a financial GENIUS and gets the ear and attention of the president of the United States and big business wonks by making off-hand comments about gardening is, for me, just TOO absurd for me to dislike it.

Sepiatone

And I'm one of 'em.

But, to each their own.  For the record, my wife doesn't like him, either.  My Mom didn't, too.

Also for the record, BEING THERE, in spite of it's "smarmyness" works for me due to it's level of absurdity.  That a simple minded person like CHANCE  gets to be seen by the most powerful private citizen as a financial GENIUS and gets the ear and attention of the president of the United States and big business wonks by making off-hand comments about gardening is, for me, just TOO absurd for me to dislike it.

Sepiatone

ILYABT is not great, but the opportunity to see Sellers playing an American lawyer is a treat, New York accent and all.

And I'm one of 'em.

Sepiatone

Personally I thought Being There was very well written and directed.  I like Hal Ashby's films very much.  Such a terrible waste when he passed away.

My problem with the film was actually Sellers and I've given it a few chances too.  I found him to be too affected and it just seemed in-genuine to me throughout.  Perhaps I am tainted by my love of Sellers in the Goon Show and the films he made while in the UK.

Edit  - I just remembered too that we had only just had two Werner Herzog films with the same sort of lead character: Kasper Hauser and Stroszek.  In both films, Herzog cast the unknown actor, Bruno S. who was probably a bit like a Chauncey Gardner in real life.  So, perhaps in comparing all these films casting an unknown in this type of role struck me as a bit of a bolder and more interesting move.

Though, I know that wouldn't make financial sense to an American studio who were trading on Seller's name as much as anything.

But to each his own and at least this gives us talking points.