Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about TCM on FIOS, cable, etc.

Swithin

I'm beginning to get annoyed with my cable company (RCN). I like the product well enough, but their prices are going up, and they keep adding little things on to my bill which they can't explain to my satisfaction. We have other cable options in my building -- Time Warner and FIOS.  My neighbors who have FIOS seem to have lower bills, say, $30 a month lower for the triple play.

It's not really about the money -- it's about the fact that every time I phone RCN, I get a different story. But one thing RCN does have, which FIOS doesn't, is TCM in HD, which looks brilliant on my TV. (I have the separate TCM SD channel, so it's easy for me to compare).

Why doesn't FIOS have a TCM HD channel, or do they, in other markets? And how does TCM SD look on FIOS? Any of you have experience with that? 

But one thing RCN does have, which FIOS doesn't, is TCM in HD, which looks brilliant on my TV. (I have the separate TCM SD channel, so it's easy for me to compare).

The TCM HD channel does look really good now. 

Once upon a time I don't think it was truly in HD, but, yes, it now looks  very good.

• 3 months later...

I'm beginning to get annoyed with my cable company (RCN). I like the product well enough, but their prices are going up, and they keep adding little things on to my bill which they can't explain to my satisfaction. We have other cable options in my building -- Time Warner and FIOS.  My neighbors who have FIOS seem to have lower bills, say, $30 a month lower for the triple play.

It's not really about the money -- it's about the fact that every time I phone RCN, I get a different story. But one thing RCN does have, which FIOS doesn't, is TCM in HD, which looks brilliant on my TV. (I have the separate TCM SD channel, so it's easy for me to compare).

Why doesn't FIOS have a TCM HD channel, or do they, in other markets? And how does TCM SD look on FIOS? Any of you have experience with that? 

I know this is an old post, but the exact question was never answered.  I have FIOS, which only broadcasts TCM in dull, dreary standard definition.  For films that are not widescreen, it's okay, but for letterboxed films, it's awful.  It presents as a windowboxed image, which you can adjust to make bigger, but then the image gets blurry.  I've stopped watching widescreen films on TCM, and am contemplating getting rid of FIOS, which I, otherwise think is very good.

I know this is an old post, but the exact question was never answered.  I have FIOS, which only broadcasts TCM in dull, dreary standard definition.  For films that are not widescreen, it's okay, but for letterboxed films, it's awful.  It presents as a windowboxed image, which you can adjust to make bigger, but then the image gets blurry.  I've stopped watching widescreen films on TCM, and am contemplating getting rid of FIOS, which I, otherwise think is very good.

Thanks John, that's very interesting. The problem has been solved for me, for now. RCN reduced my bill considerably, to have it in line with what my neighbors pay for FIOS.  I really do like and depend on the TCM/HD channel.

• Like 1

There was a large gripe thread about TCM's HD channel a few years back on a major AV forum.  I think back then FIOS thought they were making some sort of statement by not including TCM HD along with TCM SD.  It is their loss really, provided customers like yourself can see the difference and leave over it.

Maybe a bit off topic but we went from Cable to DirecTV a little more than a year ago.  Then after the end of the first year, when they ended the promotional deal, we changed our service level to DirecTV's cheapest package.  We went from Choice to Select, and that includes TCM.  I don't know if it was always that way, but it is nice.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/360/~/how-do-i-find-out-what-channels-come-in-each-tv-package%3F

P.S. From what I have read on the matter, the TCM SD feed is derived downline from the TCM HD feed.  It is not anywhere near the level of quality HD is, although in many cases it could be.  They just overcompress it regardless of what is being shown.

• Like 1

TCM HD is the only reason why I'm keeping DirecTV. My two-year agreement was up in August of 2014, and here's no reason why Verizon FiOS should'nt have TCM HD. I've been reading that they won't upgrade to HD is because there's not enough interest. Really????? We all know that 90% of the programming isn't broadcasting in HD, but it better than watching everything in a windowbox format. If and when Verizon FiOS decides to upgrade TCM to HD, I'll have absolutely no problem sending DirecTV packing!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings