Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

Saturday, June 13

A couple of king of cool Steve McQueen films on today.  The Sand Pebbles at 2 p.m. and Bullitt at 8 p.m.

And there’s Trog (1970) at 3:45 a.m. followed by thrilling Tupperware shorts.  Which is more scary?

But the real treat for me is The Mind of Mr. Soames (1970) with Terence Stamp.  I was just about to hit ‘purchase’ on Amazon’s dvd site when I saw this on the TCM schedule.

• Like 1

Bogie 56--Bullitt is my choice--has some great, tightly edited car chases, before those became routine, and before CGI.  I can't forget Crawford in Trog !1970)--trying to lure him out of a cave, she waves a bunch of carrots and says "Here Trog!  Here Trog!". For those up early Sat., The Sea Hawk (1940) is a wonderful adventure film; is among Errol Flynns' top 5 films, IMO.

• Like 1

But the real treat for me is The Mind of Mr. Soames (1970) with Terence Stamp. 

Absolutely.  I was overjoyed to see it scheduled.

Not that it's relevant, but I'll watch anything that's got a substantial part in it for Robert Vaughn.

I second FilmLover's recommendation of The Sea Hawk.  It's one of Errol Flynn's best films and definitely among the best swashbucklers.  Flora Robson is excellent as Queen Elizabeth.  My only complaint about this film is Brenda Marshall.  She's so bland.  She's not bad or anything, she just doesn't have any pizzazz.  Claude Rains is also fun to watch as he is in everything he does.  I also loved Flynn's monkey.  

My favorite part of the film is when Flynn & co. are captured and forced to work as slaves in the Galley of the boat.  

film__13645-the-sea-hawk--detail.jpg

He's a little scruffy, but I'll take it!

Aside from the obvious reason why I like this part of the film, ;) I think the galley scene and post-galley scene are among the highlights of The Sea Hawk.

Saturday, June 13

A couple of king of cool Steve McQueen films on today.  The Sand Pebbles at 2 p.m. and Bullitt at 8 p.m.

And there’s Trog (1970) at 3:45 a.m. followed by thrilling Tupperware shorts.  Which is more scary?

But the real treat for me is The Mind of Mr. Soames (1970) with Terence Stamp.  I was just about to hit ‘purchase’ on Amazon’s dvd site when I saw this on the TCM schedule.

I'm planning on DVR-ing Trog.  I've never seen it before and it sounds amazing. 

I will admit that I have watched the Tupperware short.  Me, being the nerd that I am, found it very interesting.  I will also admit that I watched The History of Tupperware documentary on PBS a few years ago and enjoyed it very much.  I don't think that I actually own any Tupperware products however.

My picks for Sunday are:

Hot Saturday.  This is a very early Cary Grant film, a pre-code in fact.  It also stars Randolph Scott, but he was whatever (to me at least).  This film isn't the greatest film, but it's entertaining.  I loved the scene of the old women gossiping when they spot Nancy Carroll arriving home early in the morning in Grant's vehicle.  There are many scandalous (for 1932) scenes including one scene where Grant removes Carroll's clothing after she is trapped in a rain storm and faints (for whatever reason.  Women sure do faint a lot in old movies.  Maybe it's the girdle). 

Inside Daisy Clover.  This film stars one of my favorites, Natalie Wood.  When I saw this movie for the first time, I thought it was kind of weird.  On subsequent viewings, however, I have come to really enjoy this film.  Wood did a great job portraying a young woman dealing with the ups and downs of Hollywood life.  This film also features Robert Redford in a very early role.

My "Miss" for this day is unfortunately Irma La Douce.  As much as I wanted to like this movie (it is a Billy Wilder movie and stars Jack Lemmon!), it was boring.  The premise of the film sounds promising, but unfortunately, it's not as good as it good have been.  The director and talent were there to make this film work, but it didn't (at least for me).  The best things about this film were the Paris scenery and Shirley MacLaine's costumes.

• Like 1

I agree with speedracer5 on the miss--Irma La Douce (1963)--& it's not that Shirley MacLaine, Jack Lemmon, or director Billy Wilder are bad.  Wilder & his leads inserted all sorts of business to try to keep things moving--but some dunderhead(s) at the studio ripped ILDs' insides out by deciding to use the musical's score ONLY as background music (ILD started life as a successful Broadway musical).  All involved with the film do their utmost, but any chance ILD had of being memorably good was long gone.  Inexplicably (to me), the film was a box office winner. 

For Sunday, I'd pick A Kiss Before Dying (with Robert Wagner as a killer) and Village of the Damned, one of the finest and most intelligent sci-fi films ever made.

I see Greed  is showing at midnight, but in a shortened time slot. I remember seeing the four-hour version on TCM before, so what's going on there?

• Like 1

For Sunday, I'd pick A Kiss Before Dying (with Robert Wagner as a killer) and Village of the Damned, one of the finest and most intelligent sci-fi films ever made.

I see Greed  is showing at midnight, but in a shortened time slot. I remember seeing the four-hour version on TCM before, so what's going on there?

re. Greed, unfortunately showing the truncated 129 min. version.

They have shown the better, longer version before, so this kinda stinks :(

I'm looking forward to the film-noir double-feature we're getting for Imports tomorrow. Both by Yoshitaro Nomura, a director I'm not familiar with.

I'm looking forward to the film-noir double-feature we're getting for Imports tomorrow. Both by Yoshitaro Nomura, a director I'm not familiar with.

Thanks, Kay :)

2:15 am ET
B/W

95 min

TV-PG

crime
Zero Focus (1961)

A new bride tries to find her missing husband.

DirYoshitaro Nomura CastYoshiko Kuga , Hizuru Takachiho , Ineko Arima (Ineko Arima) .

article: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Zero_Focus

4:00 am ET
Color

143 min

TV-PG

crime

Two police detectives set out to solve the murder of an old man who was beaten to death.

DirYoshitaro Nomura

article: http://worldscinema....e-of-sand-1974/

I'm planning on DVR-ing Trog.  I've never seen it before and it sounds amazing. 

I will admit that I have watched the Tupperware short.  Me, being the nerd that I am, found it very interesting.  I will also admit that I watched The History of Tupperware documentary on PBS a few years ago and enjoyed it very much.  I don't think that I actually own any Tupperware products however.

I will see Trog again too.

The only Tupperware we have is over 30 years old.  It is used to store small tools in the garage.  I think after all these years the plastic has outgassed.  It is yellow and brittle.  I would never store food in it.

Re, Greed.  It looks like a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I just checked the imdb and this looks like it might be 'version 6.'

Did you see 'version 7' on TCM at one point with stills to recreate lost scenes?

I can't remember which version I've seen.  I didn't see it on TCM and it was many years ago.

This is from the imdb ...

Version 6, 10 reels (circa 3,000 meters), edited by Joseph Farnham acting on orders from Irving Thalberg, regardless of the "McTeague" novel or the script. This final version was released by MGM with a runtime of 2 h 15 m.

Version 7, a 239 minute cut, is the restored version (Turner Entertainment, 1999) by Rick Schmidlin using the existing footage and still photographs of the deleted scenes (done a la recent restorations of A Star Is Born (1954) and Lost Horizon (1937)). This was produced according to an original and detailed continuity outline by director Erich von Stroheim to bring it as close to the Director's Cut as possible. This version also contains a stereo score by Robert Israel.

• Like 1

Did you see 'version 7' on TCM at one point with stills to recreate lost scenes?

Yes, I remember stills, so it had to be version 7. By the way, I would also recommend the novel, "McTeague."

• Like 1

Sunday, June 14

What’s left of von Stroheim’s Greed (1924) is on at midnight.  This one has some great scenes in it and worth recording.

Then starting at 2:15 TCM has another two Japanese films.  This time the director is Yoshitaro Nomura.  Zero Focus (1961) and The Castle of Sand (1974).  I guess TCM must have a deal with Criterion for all of these Japanese titles.

I can't remember which version I've seen.  I didn't see it on TCM and it was many years ago.

This is from the imdb ...

Version 6, 10 reels (circa 3,000 meters), edited by Joseph Farnham acting on orders from Irving Thalberg, regardless of the "McTeague" novel or the script. This final version was released by MGM with a runtime of 2 h 15 m.

Version 7, a 239 minute cut, is the restored version (Turner Entertainment, 1999) by Rick Schmidlin using the existing footage and still photographs of the deleted scenes (done a la recent restorations of A Star Is Born (1954) and Lost Horizon (1937)). This was produced according to an original and detailed continuity outline by director Erich von Stroheim to bring it as close to the Director's Cut as possible. This version also contains a stereo score by Robert Israel.

The last time I watched Greed on TCM it was the longer version and yes there were stills. I think it was close to 2 years ago. 

Each time Lost Horizon is shown on TCM stills are also used to replace lost  scenes.  Bummer that the shortened version of Greed will be shown. 

The last time I watched Greed on TCM it was the longer version and yes there were stills. I think it was close to 2 years ago. 

Each time Lost Horizon is shown on TCM stills are also used to replace lost  scenes.  Bummer that the shortened version of Greed will be shown. 

I liked seeing the version of Lost Horizon with the stills once.  The second time I found it a tad annoying.  So, now I don't mind watching the film knowing in the back of my mind what the missing material is/was.

It's the same for Apocalypse Now Redux.  I think I prefer the shorter version.

And the added scenes (with the exception of the Lee Van Cleef material) in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly doesn't really do it for me either.  It doesn't help that Eli Wallach's and Clint Eastwood's voice dubbing is now so-mismatched.  Wallach was well over 80 when he dubbed the missing scenes.

I saw the complete Leone copy of GBU at a screening in the first Toronto Film Festival.  Its only full copy was in Italian.  They never bothered to dub the entire film hence Wallach and Eastwood dubbing their parts years later for the extra scenes.  Voice artist Burt Sharpe was a better match for Lee Van Cleef than the other two!  Cleef had passed away by this time.

I don't think I've seen the longer version of Greed with the stills.  I will have to look out for it.

'One Way Pendulum' at 4:15 pm on Monday sounds worth checking out. Supposed to be "very un-pc" according to the one comment at IMDb.

darkblue--you are So right.  Critics apparently loved it in England (that's what Google says), but it got a review that killed any box-office earning potential this side of the Atlantic by Howard (Thompson?) (Taubman?) at the New York Times.  One other thing--film was apparently made by the same team who made Tom Jones (1963).  Let us know what you think.

Tomorrow evening starting at 8 pm EDT there's going to be a Don Ameche festival with six of his films. I've only seen The Story of Alexander Graham Bell and The Feminine Touch, which I thought was very funny. He may not be anybody's idea of an exciting leading man but it is an evening of Fox films rarely shown.

• Like 2

Enjoy Heaven Can Wait (1943), at 8:00 p.m., the prime time selection--directed by Ernst Lubitsch--shows what Ameche and Gene Tierney were capable of when working with a fine director.

Re That Night in Rio (1941)--give your opinion on that, please.  All I remember is Carmen Miranda. :)

I just wanted to thank everyone as this thread as almost hit 349 replies which is somewhat of a milestone.  Right up there with seeing little Bogie take his first steps.

• Like 3

Enjoy Heaven Can Wait (1943), at 8:00 p.m., the prime time selection--directed by Ernst Lubitsch--shows what Ameche and Gene Tierney were capable of when working with a fine director.

Re That Night in Rio (1941)--give your opinion on that, please.  All I remember is Carmen Miranda. :)

Phew. Thanks for the heads up. You have no idea how many times I've missed the beginning of this movie. Tor happy.

I'm interested in these two, also. The latter mainly on the virtue of this film that has been showing on the Fox movie channel recently, You Can't Have Everything (1937), which has the same stars, Ameche and Faye, plus the Ritz Brothers. Highly enjoyable movie, according to me.

• Like 1